Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VKing
Apr 22, 2008
Ooh I love this game.

It's challenging as hell (at least in my experience; I might just be bad), but the story is quite compelling and the attention to detail (like the manoeuvring thrusters) was very novel at the time. That's also why the B5 mod for it was so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VKing
Apr 22, 2008

OAquinas posted:

I want to say it's also a good idea to keep moving, but I'm honestly not sure if that impacts the amount of damage you take.

Yea I don't know if it affects hit chances at all (it might, especially later when we get ships with tactical drives) but at least it's much less frustrating to watch than just sitting there taking fire.

I remember when I played the game, I used to mostly use manual controls instead of the auto-attack function keys. This might have been to my detriment, however, as I tended to expend all the auxiliary energy way too quickly.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008

Veloxyll posted:

Well, sometimes the auto-functions forget about using some weapons

IIRC it doesn't forget, it just doesn't use all available weapons in order to get maximum ROF out of the weapons it decides to fire. Using more weapons means they recharge slower (unless you throw auxiliary power at it).

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
The manual movement system in this game is pretty interesting. I could've sworn there was a tutorial for it, though, as this is the mission where I first used it, I think. Is it in the next mission?
It's another thing I liked in this game compared to Homeworld - not because this is better, since it's much more finnicky - but because it's another function of Nexus having absolutely no fixed plane that the gameplay takes place on. It just feels right in a spaceship game.

Apropos: I think the auxiliary energy can be recharged by spare support energy if you're using less than 100% of it. Can't quite remember, and it doesn't happen much, anyway.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
I don't think I've ever managed to get the secondary objective on this mission. You could see it in the video, one of the buggers go after you and the rest gang up on a cargo ship. I'm honestly not sure if it's possible to complete, considering you have to lose one of the cargo ships for the next mission to play out.

And this is where we are introduced to Rear/Vice/Butt Admiral Norbank. Let's just say we ain't seen the last of him.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
After a couple of attempts at the convoy mission today, I managed to get a run where the Chrome actually survived the entire mission, which let me kill all the enemy ships except the carrier.
I still couldn't save the first cargo ship, though. I have no idea how you'd be able to do so on unless the Chrome somehow targets the Hunters. Maybe on easy?

In a couple of runs the Chrome wouldn't fire at anything at all. Not sure if that's a bug or some kind of punishment for foreknowledge, as I'd started those runs by moving towards the enemy before they spawned in.

Fun fact: If the Chrome survives, Captain Ironsight will be the one to order the convoy to jump at the end of the mission. Admiral Norbank is still a dick in the debriefing, though.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
Yea, lasers are ... eh. Back when I first played this game, I'd usually equip most of my ships with at least one laser, but spreading them out wasn't terribly effective.

By the way, I love the design of those destroyers. There's just something about their form that I find incredibly attractive. Do please show them off in more detail later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
I lost the Angelwing too many times in this mission. The heavy cruiser has two plasma cannons and two torpedo launchers, and will just murder you once your shields drop.

• Locked thread