Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Nexus: the 12 colonies incident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

VKing posted:

Yea I don't know if it affects hit chances at all (it might, especially later when we get ships with tactical drives) but at least it's much less frustrating to watch than just sitting there taking fire.

I remember when I played the game, I used to mostly use manual controls instead of the auto-attack function keys. This might have been to my detriment, however, as I tended to expend all the auxiliary energy way too quickly.

Well, sometimes the auto-functions forget about using some weapons.

Or you just want to pile on the hurt without having to micro everything.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I just always mix it up. Have at least one laser, one hull cannon. some flak. some fighters. some SPEES MAHREENS. Providing you don't go all in, you should be able to muddle through.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I dunno if I'm just awful at this, but it seems the higher difficulties make the game brutally harder. Like, pretty sure it's on medium and all my spaceboats hulls are made of tissue paper. 4 or 5 hits and everyone legs it for the escape pods. And even without shields lasers seem somewhat disappointing. Preferring the heavies for greater shield pen.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Even when I have shipping that has such armaments, it still seems super resillient. Vaguely curious if the Heavy lasers secretly fib about their effectiveness or something.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Despite trying to avoid the Vardrag with the Angelwing, the Vardrag show up to "help" with this mission and make the scan a right pain to complete if you want to complete all the secondaries.

Fun fact, you do actually fail the mission if you get the Angelwing blown up by the base.
Even if the camera is already doing its zoom out thing.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

OAquinas posted:

"Sir, the Vardrags were right! The reverse negative power coupling is leaking...blah blah"

I think it was actually played in the clip--just got it as plot instead of from the scan.

Yeah. A thing in this game is that plot stuff doesn't happen until the relevant talky bit plays.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Or just start hitting the next target. Though they can be annoying at not focusing down the primary target as much as you'd like.

They dynamicness of missions is why I prefer to run mixed loadouts on all my ships. Sometimes you just need a laser. And shield/hull destruction is always useful.

Also you forgot to cut out the retooling of your ships.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

berryjon posted:

The worst part was seeing the name Colossus on one of the Battleships that Supreme Grand Rear Vice Admiral whats-his-face was using.

I knew then that it was a dead ship flying. :(

Colossus was the support ship. Not one of the Battleships Norbank got smashed up

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Herp still cannot get over this game not allowing ramming.

What is even the point!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Libluini posted:

For some reason I never had any problems with stealthy poo poo in this Game. But boy, whenever there was any major shooting to be done, I tended to royally gently caress it up. Sometimes two times in a row. :shepface:

The next mission is the worst of the stealth missions. I got stuck on both beginner and Medium there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

OAquinas posted:

IF you can get them on board through the flak, they're absolute murder on devices. You can usually get them to disable/destroy 2-3 before they all die. This is really useful for those hard-to-kill systems like weapons gens or shields.

Of course, you need to get them on board, and usually they get priority for flak.

Anti-Ship missiles get a higher priority. But, the guns have to actively get retargetted from fighters, unlike with ship missiles.

Fun fact - while fighters and gunships can survive ASM blasts, fine, they will annihilate the Commando ferry in a single blast.
No prizes for guessing how I figured that one out.

• Locked thread