Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I've had this game since it came out and haven't gotten past the seventh mission ever. I just feel like I have no control of my ships - if I try to attack smaller stuff it just maneuvers out of my firing arcs and I can't do anything about it directly. Hopefully this LP will help me be not terrible, I really love tactical space combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

DatonKallandor posted:

I just ran mostly-laser loadouts. I don't need to burst down your hull or your shield if I can just snipe your generators with lasers and gunships. Lasers beat everything.

I'd love to do that but it seems like (spoilers for a few missions ahead) the Angelwing is too slow maneuvering to use lasers effectively. It mostly just spins around trying to both orient it's turrets and get line of sight on the target devices. Am I just supposed to resign myself to brute force until I get more ships?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I don't

I disagree with that, it entirely depends on where you're mounting the laser. If you put them all on the same side, you can get some serious alpha strikes going. If not, the AI does its best to roll the ship about and please nobody.

This is really useful information. I didn't think about the ship rolling and how that would effect time on target.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
What counts as destroyed anyway? I'm going heavy lasers and so leaving ships as engine and generator devoid husks is the name of the game, but some missions want me to destroy all ships. Is there a specific set of modules to take out to fulfill this or do I just need to bring some hull destroying weapons.

• Locked thread