Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Ah Nexus. I still should have my old physical copy somewhere.

It has an quite long and campaign with some interesting missions.
Neat space battles, which feel more 3d than Homeworld, with some very pretty and cool ship designs.

Some mechanics are rather odd implemented and don't do much in for the actual space battles gameplay.
(Crew experience mostly. I never got more than maybe one improvement on the MAIN ship and some small destroyer during the long campaign.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
It has been a while, but can listen to the starmap theme for hours.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 2, 2017

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Yes the batteries could be (slowly) recharged by reducing the energy consumption of the support bar. Worked mostly with the better cells, you got later.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

OAquinas posted:

Been trying to figure out what drives XP for ship captains (to improve their "military/science/engineering" ratings) and RP. Near as I can tell, secondary objectives give XP (sometimes) and mission performance gives RP (ships destroyed). The manual also says priority and time influence it, but since these are elements entirely out of your control they only adjust the relative scale.
If you ever find out more, please tell me. If this game has one flaw for me, it is the obscure ship xp levels. Even with all the medals (bonus objectives) i only squeezed out two level-up for Marcus and the crew of the main story ship. (And a level for another ship we haven't seen.)

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

This is my biggest issue with the game. Normally I do as Veloxyll does and I diversify my loadout especially early on, but it's also vital in certain missions to spec into certain bits of gear.

I think i used for the big ships (like the Angelwing cruiser and above) universal weapon layouts good against hull and shields and equipped the two small capital ships with all the lasers.

The only big change for my fleet was near the very end of the game, where i switched some heavy weapon slots on the cruisers and detroyers for long range rockets. Missile massacre with the endgame tier missiles and energy bombs is a very viable tactic for a certain endgame mission.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

OAquinas posted:

To get the full benefit of lasers you need a ship that can keep its guns in the firing path of the bad guys' devices. This is not the Stiletto or the Angelwing.

This is SPARTA.

On a more serious note:

I knew about the armor stats on the bigger ships (that is why the small guns are so ineffective agianst the big boats), but i didn't think that they would be taken away in the harder gameplay modes. I just thought, that the ai would get damage multipliers and done.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

OAquinas posted:

Mild spoiler that comes to the surprise of no one, really....

What could you possibly mean?:allears:

The "majesty" of Admiral Norbank (majestic blunders that is) is regular practice of Marcus Cromwell's crisis managment skills. The best part is that certain persons factions in the Noah system alliance know this and have the highest interest in Cromwell's quick and just ascension in the Noah military.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Mighty Steed posted:

What happens if the Brutus and/or Sparta die in the mission but you still complete your objectives?

You get the Brutus A and Sparta A for the next mission. If at least 50% of your old crew successfully evacuates, you retain your crew experience. Otherwise you start with rookies.

Just don't ask me, how far the alphabetical naming goes. Is there a Sparta Z?

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 11, 2017

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

VKing posted:

I lost the Angelwing too many times in this mission. The heavy cruiser has two plasma cannons and two torpedo launchers, and will just murder you once your shields drop.

This mission sold me on my shiny laser destroyer duo, Brutus and Sparta. They can't hurt you or flee, if you destroyed their weapon generator and main drive. Big ships in tight formation with two flaks each are the bane of bomber tactics. Shoot down the flaks and then bring your angry bee swarm in.
GG Space Admiral Herp.
They may be not gunships, but are far more durable than the small craft. Give them the special evasion drive and allocate 150% energy for ship drives. Done. You will dance around like a tipsy eldar against that wannabe Klingon space orks.

Tactical errors of the NDF command structure aside, i am greatly enjoying the lp, Herp.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 11, 2017

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Still, the whole stealth mission is something, which could been left out in a director's cut of the game.

While "stealth and detection" could be an interesting combat mechanic in this game, it doesn't really go anywhere besides Angelwing's magical "bucket with screws" stealth device and sassy officer (and some mild sneaking missions).

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

wiegieman posted:

What was the actual reason why the shadows and the vorlons were fighting anyway?

Different and competing ideologies.
"Who are you?"(Order - Vorlons) vs. "What do you want?" (Chaos - Shadows)

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Polaron posted:

Well, that's how it started out. By the time of the show it was Patronizing Fascism (Vorlons) vs Darwinistic Anarchy (Shadows).

I don't know if could imagine Mr. Morden as an anarchist today. His selling pitches could have been amazing in a "Head and Shoulders" shampoo advertisment. Or think bigger bigger: Apple or Google product placement. Would have solved the show's money problems quite nicely.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

I despise energy bombs, they always kill my ships faster than they kill the enemy. Not much of a mass artillery guy in this game outside of certain levels.

Oh come on... :saddowns:
Alpha strike a ship formation with these from range, then go in for the brawl.
Although it did take some time for me to get the spacing right.

At least tell me you like the big plasma guns. When in doubt, choose the boring big gun. Works quite reasonable, unless you want to shoot down speedy destroyers.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
As cool as the BFG is, the required formation really hampers fleet mobility and -tactics. Just don' forget to overclock the weapon systems on the ships in the formation, that it fires a little faster.
Could skeeter weapon mess with the energy managment of non-mechnoid ships? (batteries, weapon charge times, shields)?
But it only can remember them as plot device weapons for late game.

EDIT: I could swear scanning of the ghosts in "locust queen" lets last tier of lasers show up earlier. Those things are amazing.

Oh. For the mission after no.20, it could be interesting to grab some cyber marines to use against the mission targets. Always liked the dialogue during the boarding action.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 8, 2017

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

I never knew there was special dialogue for boarding actions, I've got another 2 videos left in my backlog and so I'll be slow to respond to all of this great advice and information. Likely not going to replay to get all the tech, but might try for the extra dialogue.

Spoilers for future misssion:
It was the mission, where you had to stop the corrupted "Alpha Gate Fleet" from stopping to enter the wormhole gate to the Vardrag homeworld.
One of the ships(a scout, i think) could be boarded and you have gotten some insights with the boarding team and an encounter with the still-alive pilot. Gave you even the option to self-destruct the whole thing.

It was a neat hidden mission objective. Just don't ask me, how one would know to use the boarding action against that one ship. Can't remember any hints like for the earth ship in the "back to earth" mision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
I didn't have anything to say the last videos, but i do appreciate you finishing this lp, Herp.

• Locked thread