Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Yeah that was terrible refereeing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

That looked like a sequence of low blows to me.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

The Ninth Layer posted:

Uhhhh I think Kovalev should have gotten the chance to take a knee or something. Not crazy about that stoppage.

bring back standing 8 counts

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Yo gently caress boxing, that was some obviously dirty poo poo, even if there were good shots in the mix

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's cool, boxing. I felt weird being so excited about you anyway.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i feel like the body shot/low blow before the big right hand is the crucial one. hopefully we'll get a replay of that at some point

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I can't believe how little I like ward lol

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

That shot looked low too.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Honestly don't even want to see a third fight because I know Ward will just win in a third uniquely hosed up way

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Despite the weirdness of the stoppage I don't really see Kovalev coming back from that beat down round

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

That straight right hand hosed Kovalev and the fight was over after that. He was woosey.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Lol p4p #1 get the gently caress outta here

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Chris James 2 posted:

Honestly don't even want to see a third fight because I know Ward will just win in a third uniquely hosed up way

I absolutely agree. Where's a teddy atlas rant when I need one.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

"It was below the belt, but it looked borderline to me"

Get hosed, Max.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Uhhh Max that's not borderline dude, unless we're talking about the border between Kova's dick and his balls.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

some people are saying the last 3 shots were low? they didnt look it to me

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

some people are saying the last 3 shots were low? they didnt look it to me

We just saw on a slow-mo replay that the first of the last three landed directly on Kovalev's dick and balls.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

they were on the belt line but it's the boxing belt line thats like 7 inches wide. i don't even know what the rule is about that

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress Andre ward

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The first of those shots was on his loving crotch and the next two were even lower.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

CommonShore posted:

We just saw on a slow-mo replay that the first of the last three landed directly on Kovalev's dick and balls.

hm, I'm using a lovely youtube fullspeed video (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nzLVc1f3QA)so I'll have to wait for better video to reach the internet

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

why is there only 2 angles on the ending lol

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

IDK I do think Kovalev was on queer street but the whole HBO circling the wagons on how those were legit body shots that will be taught in the gym for years is laughable.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Every time I try to watch boxing it kind of sucks and then people post good fights but I never catch those live. Weird sport

Brolic how comes you ain't posted about basketball in months?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

Every time I try to watch boxing it kind of sucks and then people post good fights but I never catch those live. Weird sport

Brolic how comes you ain't posted about basketball in months?

Just tune in for lomachenko fights and you'll be 💯

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I'm conflicted on the ending. On one hand Kov looked done, but how much of that was from legal punches and how of that was crotch shots.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm still waiting on some good angles to pop up in twitter vids or something for the "borderline shots" but Ward has absolutely tearing into kovalev with some right hands and and Kov looked out on his feet. Was also gassing pretty hard too. It's a shame this fight couldn't end without controversy though, I just really wanted this to be put to rest.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PJM-JEpY5E&t=1455s

the two body shots that start it all are on the belt line imo

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's time for Ward vs Kovalev 3 babey ! Where the only advertisement is Sergey Kovalev posting vague, passive agressive posts on twitter about the results of the last fight again.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

You have to keep in mind that boxing shorts are absurdly high, the belt is over the belly button. So it has to be WAY below the belt to actually be low. The last punch was maybe low, but thats it.

Regarding the standing 8, he didn't go down, so no standing 8. He could have taken a knee and accepted a 10-8 round, but he didn't, he stayed on his feet and quit on his feet, so good stop.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

yeah after seeing some slowmo there def some of those last shots were low, maybe just the last one? IDK, a lot of the others were on the line and kov's belt was pretty high, but there were def some low blows and the stoppage is a bit unfortunate in light of that.

E: cant believe all the tweets im seeing about how "that ref is obv corrupt and should never ref again" like guys, its tony weeks, not just some rando

Jump King fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 18, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

E: cant believe all the tweets im seeing about how "that ref is obv corrupt and should never ref again" like guys, its tony weeks, not just some rando

Since this is boxing there are plenty of well known absolutely terrible refs, although if Weeks is one of them I can't remember why at the moment.

e: from a quick google all I can find is that he maybe stopped the fight early saved Alfredo Angulo from some punishment versus Canelo.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 18, 2017

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Weeks is generally fairly well respected AFAIK

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I don't watch boxing very often, I'll buy a PPV maybe once every couple years, I had a random urge to watch this one and it illustrated everything I hate about boxing. The 2nd to last fight the loser was obviously trying to con the ref into a DQ win. And in the last fight we see how utterly stupid boxing shorts are, with the belt pulled way above the hips, intentionally to try to get people to never hit the belly. They could fix that poo poo if they wanted with tighter shorts so we can see whats really a low blow.

I'll go back to my MMA corner now.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVd_uX5Fvdh/ bout sums up the fight, real punch in the nuts

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVd_uX5Fvdh/ bout sums up the fight, real punch in the nuts

Not really. Maybe grazed the top of the dick, but not the nuts. again, the belt is over the belly button, which is stupid, but thats where it is. That was a belly/liver shot, they are trying to outlaw liver shots with those stupid super-high boxing shorts.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 18, 2017

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
that looked pretty low

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Andre Ward is just an American Sven Ottke

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
paulie was right again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Skip My Posts posted:

that looked pretty low

It would be nice if they wore tighter shorts that weren't pulled up above the navel so we could tell for sure, like in real combat sports.

• Locked thread