Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Problem description: PSU fan very loud, smell of burning coming from it. Unplugged it, cleaned it out (no dust, 6 month old build). Plugged it back in after letting it cool down for a couple hours. Whisper quiet and running smooth for ten minutes, then it starts back up again.

Attempted fixes: Cleaned it, checked connections. I'm gonna RMA it but figured I'd ask here as well because I'm curious.

Recent changes: None for the computer, but the power went out earlier today that flipped my surge protector. Not sure if related. Florida utilities suck. Any advice besides a surge protector to safeguard your computer from outages? Should I try a different outlet without the power supply? Maybe the surge protector is botched and sending too much power?

Operating system: W10 64-bit

System specs:
-Corsair 200r Case
-W10 64-bit OS
-i7-6700k Skylake CPU
-Asus 1070 GPU
-16GB G.Skill Trident RAM
-Asus Z170 MOBO
-Corsair CX750W PSU

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Edit: it seems ok so far. Been running it about about two hours. Slight burning smell but I think it's residue from before. No hot air coming from it and fan is running quiet. Slight hot spot near the connector but it's fine to touch. Filling out RMA now but scared of Corsair brands. I chose them cause had good performance before.

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Your power supply is failing, replace it. If it is still under warranty with the manufacturer hit them up. Corsair isn't a bad brand, but that is their low-end model line.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Alereon posted:

Your power supply is failing, replace it. If it is still under warranty with the manufacturer hit them up. Corsair isn't a bad brand, but that is their low-end model line.
What psu model would you recommend for my specs?

I got the same model but it's got the Corsair 3-year warranty. I'd be willing to return it and get a better model. I bought it from Best Buy cause didn't want to wait a week but I can chill if I can upgrade. I assumed it was decent model line.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
The TX-series is the Corsair mid-range lineup. The Parts Picking Megathread is generally the place to go for parts recommendations, my point was that you're not going to get a brand's typical reputation for quality if you buy their cheaper models.

• Locked thread