Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ranger
Apr 7, 2004

One of these days, I'm going to snap and kill that fucking bear.
I've been nominated to find an out-of-town cottage to rent for my buddy's bachelor party weekend in late August and this doesn't seem to be the kind of thing that travel/hotel sites cater to.

We need room to party and sleep 10 people, budget around $2000. We're coming from Ottawa Ontario and open to about a 2 hour driving radius. Waterfront is not a high priority and we're looking for a reasonable degree of privacy so we can be loud and hosed up at unreasonable hours. Outdoor firepit is a must; indoor mancave comforts like a lounge with a pool table would be a big bonus.

Anyone have a line on a site or service that might connect some gentlemen with accommodations like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

The Ranger posted:

I've been nominated to find an out-of-town cottage to rent for my buddy's bachelor party weekend in late August and this doesn't seem to be the kind of thing that travel/hotel sites cater to.

We need room to party and sleep 10 people, budget around $2000. We're coming from Ottawa Ontario and open to about a 2 hour driving radius. Waterfront is not a high priority and we're looking for a reasonable degree of privacy so we can be loud and hosed up at unreasonable hours. Outdoor firepit is a must; indoor mancave comforts like a lounge with a pool table would be a big bonus.

Anyone have a line on a site or service that might connect some gentlemen with accommodations like that?

AirBnB, VRBO, HomeAway, all work. Beyond that, you'd need to find a local agent of some sort, but we even found our wedding villa on AirBnB (€1500/night, 12 room, Italian lakeside town) AirBnB's moved way beyond its low-end starting point, although it still caters towards more of the 0* to 4**** style trips and not the 5* hotel replacements.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

My wife and I used VRBO for a joint bachelor/bachelorette party where we rented two houses in a beach town for about 25 people. It was an extremely simple process. You basically need to just hop on and do a lot of browsing to see what offerings exist that meet your criteria.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Be prepared for VRBO people to duck out given your party size/age.

I've seen a lot less of this on AirBNB but when I've rented a cottage for hockey tournaments I have had several who immediately revealed that "it is actually booked that weekend" once I revealed that we're 26-30 years old. This is with business cards, references, current landlords, etc.

The Ranger
Apr 7, 2004

One of these days, I'm going to snap and kill that fucking bear.
The group is mostly 30-35 but yeah, having spent a couple evenings looking into listings I've gotten the impression that we're a nightmare scenario for owners, wanting to show up for a short stay and party. We're looking at options other than cottages; possibly renting out the back room in a bar somewhere and crashing at a cheap motel after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

The Ranger posted:

The group is mostly 30-35 but yeah, having spent a couple evenings looking into listings I've gotten the impression that we're a nightmare scenario for owners, wanting to show up for a short stay and party. We're looking at options other than cottages; possibly renting out the back room in a bar somewhere and crashing at a cheap motel after.

You can also just omit information (i.e. don't say it's a bachelor party, and if it's local-ish to some people, check in looking like you're a few couples instead of like 8 dudes), although OTOH you're on the line if your buddies get hosed up and destroy the house. So, depends on your friends.

• Locked thread