Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just watched this and I don't know what I was expecting, but that was not it. I thought it was fantastic though. So who opened the door? Theories?

What a goddamn depressing movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wrong!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why did you think it was poo poo? It was so good :wtf:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Interesting. I really liked the lack of insight into the characters personally. I thought it was a really cool way to build tension.

I really didn't think the story was all that ambiguous either, other than the big question of who opened the door, which I am pretty sure is supposed to be the big taking point.

I dunno, I saw it with a friend and we talked about the movie the whole ride home and came to a satisfying conclusion on everything imo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

This movie had a lot of parallels with The VVitch. It explores themes of isolation, distrust, fear of a sinister "other" hiding in the woods, loss, a father who's just trying to save his family from an encroaching evil, weird sex stuff from a kid dealing with hormones, and it's extremely unlikely to appeal to the general public. Although instead of getting cool powers, the kid struggles with his own mortality until the bitter end.

Yeah I had the same thought. Not to mention it's being marketed to a crowd that will probably hate it in the exact same way.

Bill Dungsroman posted:

Then how does the dog get back in to the "airlock" room? Who opened both doors? Why did the other couple's son get sick?

EDIT: Actually it probably doesn't matter thematically, and you're probably right.

It's not fully explained obviously, but the theory me and my friend came up with which most of the internet seems to agree with:

The son was already sick. He became sick when his grandfather died. He was sleepwalking through the whole movie, which is a symptom of the illness. He probably went outside while sleep walking and let the dog in. Not sure if he hosed the dog up or if it came home like that. he infected the young boy when he found him.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:agreed: wholeheartedly.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I heavily preferred this to the VVitch personally. The tension totally worked for me. I got bored throughout the VVitch at times.

I guess I can see why it's a divisive film. I honestly wouldn't change much about it personally though. I thought it worked on just about every level. I'm actually a little surprised at how conflicted people are on it here though. I walked out thinking "this is gonna be a goon favorite. I can't wait to check the thread out" just to find that there was no thread and half of you hated it lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I should say I need to rewatch the VVitch. I think a big part of my dislike for that movie was possibly the absolutely awful audience I saw it with. it was impossible to concentrate with everyone talking and munching on nachos in my ear. It comes at night had a shockingly good audience despite being comprised of probably 40% teenagers.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't agree with that at all.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The only ambiguous thing I thought was sort of a misstep was not explaining how the door was opened. I know the point was that it didn't matter, but in that instance I thought it did matter and it felt a bit cheap that the whole scenario was left to the viewer to decipher. That said, I understand why they did it like that and I don't think it detracted from the movie too much.

I was happy with the ending.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah for sure. I see what they we're going for, it's just frustrating for the viewer I think.

I haven't decided whether or not I think the film is better or worse for it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I wouldn't say that's a bad comparison.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm sure the marketing helped it sell a lot of tickets it wouldn't have otherwise sold, but it felt pretty dishonest and probably left a lot of people angry leaving the theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but the DVD cover for this, holy poo poo.

There is some marketing group somewhere that is dead set on making the popcorn crowd really angry.

• Locked thread