Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm still a bit perplexed as to why Cassidy is not a bigger deal. Does the Grail encounter vampires in it's day-to-day operations? The comic's Grail dealt with some supernatural beings Humperdickle turning water into wine but otherwise they seemed to be built on faith rather than absolute proof of God and the Afterlife. Yet here they seemingly dismiss as normal immortal bloodsuckers and a killing machine from Hell.

Starr considered Jesse to be below him and investigated the Pig thing first. They probably know all about vampires and have tons of files on them, but since vampires mostly stick to the darkness and try to keep themselves a secret, the grail don't see them as a threat. They worry about false idols and as long as most people don't even believe that vampires exist that's not a concern.

We haven't seen any vampires other than Cassidy (and Dennis) so its hard to say how rare they are, but I figure especially with how old the Grail is, they know all about them.

The Grail starts out purely as faith, but in their workings they end up seeing poo poo most people don't know about, like flying pigs and vampires. But they're fanatically loyal anyways so its not like it changes anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm still a bit perplexed as to why Cassidy is not a bigger deal. Does the Grail encounter vampires in it's day-to-day operations? The comic's Grail dealt with some supernatural beings Humperdickle turning water into wine but otherwise they seemed to be built on faith rather than absolute proof of God and the Afterlife. Yet here they seemingly dismiss as normal immortal bloodsuckers and a killing machine from Hell.
They clearly investigate and encounter the supernatural pretty regularly and I assume their SOP would be to kill Cassidy but they can't do that here without making an enemy of Jesse, whom they want on their side. Their capturing the Saint was also part of their plans involving Jesse.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The existence of 'demons' like Cassidy would invariably keep more people devoutly religious or inspire atheists/agnostics to 'find' faith, so unless they make waves, I'd think the existence of vampires would only help them.

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

:stare: Dennis RIP

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I kind of enjoyed seeing Cassidy go all ~beast mode~.

I have to admit, though - this show would be markedly less complicated without Tulip, and the longer running time of this finale should be telling them that they don't have the space to do multiple storylines per episode.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
That was another FANTASTIC fight sequence. Really good cinematography. A little closer up and tighter shots than I normally like but they did a good job of establishing the space and position of people and keeping things consistent so it still read fine and I could follow all the action. And that part where Jesse unloaded the clip into the guy's face in slo-mo, not sure how they filmed that. CG I guess, with the dude faking being hit? Silly, but fun poo poo.

I hope more TV and movie directors can learn from how Preacher and other shows like Daredevil are shooting their action sequences.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Uggggh loving Tulip

Rassle posted:

:stare: Dennis RIP

oh gently caress Cassidy what the gently caress, okay Cassidy is now a bad person like Jesse and Tulip, he's no longer just the friendly guy

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 12, 2017

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Comics-related spoiler
sooooo is god just gonna bring Tulip back in a bizarro version of how things went in the comic? it's a fuckin' waste of Ruth Negga's talent if they continue to keep her sidelined after bringing her back to life (and why does it seem like he's gonna get his evil grandma or someone like that to do the deed)?

It's a huge bummer that Tulip was really underutilized this season, and was literally used as a plot device to get Cassidy and Jesse to finally really fight each other. like, she's dying 5 feet away from you guys, figure your poo poo out and also if Cass really wanted to turn her, he woulda. it's just so... cheap.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That was fun but it felt like the season never really got started. The antagonists for both halves of the season were good (Starr is amazing) but overall the whole thing meandered and spending almost all of it in New Orleans felt like a waste. It felt like a season spinning its wheels, they better not spend 6-7 episodes next season in Angelville.

Cassidy killing Dennis came as a pretty big shock - not that I didn't expect it to happen, but I didn't expect it to happen the way it did.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

the escape goat posted:

Comics-related spoiler
sooooo is god just gonna bring Tulip back in a bizarro version of how things went in the comic? it's a fuckin' waste of Ruth Negga's talent if they continue to keep her sidelined after bringing her back to life (and why does it seem like he's gonna get his evil grandma or someone like that to do the deed)?

Because that is exactly what the show was telling you. Not a huge mystery.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

At least Hitler is back on Earth.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

mallratcal posted:

I really want him to try and marshal the American neo-nazis and become so dissuaded that he shoots himself...again.

Or, he discovers "Goop" and teams up with Gwenyth Paltrow or something and creates a genocidal Vegan army. The new untermenschen are those with too many free radicals in their blood.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I was really expecting that car to kill Hitler. That would have been loving hilarious. Oh no, Hitler is free in modern America! Oh... never mind.

Fake edit: I can't remember has this been renewed yet? I don't remember an announcement.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

mallratcal posted:

He actually fooled me. Up to the boat ride I was thinking it was all a ruse, but then I was sitting there going, "huh, so they're really doing a redeemed hitler plotline? Didn't see that---" right when Hitler loving bolts on Eugene

Good poo poo.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Adolph is gonna have some words with white supremacists next season... I hope.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
~ Eugene Macht Frei ~

This show is an entertaining kind of ridiculous.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

counterfeitsaint posted:

I was really expecting that car to kill Hitler. That would have been loving hilarious. Oh no, Hitler is free in modern America! Oh... never mind.

Fake edit: I can't remember has this been renewed yet? I don't remember an announcement.

Yes, it's been renewed, and they're evidently staying in Louisiana for much longer. Look forward to a season full of Angelville.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I can't believe they killed off Sharon.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Are we sure Tulip wasn't stabbed??

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Accretionist posted:

Are we sure Tulip wasn't stabbed??

I don't know why you would think that. Someone fired a gun at her, and then Jesse comments that 'it' went clean through after checking her back. Maybe the knife went clean through but I doubt it.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Season started great and really, really dragged about halfway through once you realized they were going to be stuck in that goddamn apartment for the rest of the season. I think they need to reduce the amount of episodes so that they can afford to do some more road tripping rather than coming up with reasons to make them stick in one location (I'm sure Angelville will be the setting for at least half the season).

There is still a ton of potential here with this story and these characters but it feels so drat claustrophobic.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

el oso posted:

Season started great and really, really dragged about halfway through once you realized they were going to be stuck in that goddamn apartment for the rest of the season. I think they need to reduce the amount of episodes so that they can afford to do some more road tripping rather than coming up with reasons to make them stick in one location (I'm sure Angelville will be the setting for at least half the season).

This sure is an AMC series alright.

But unlike The Walking Dead this show has decent writers, directors and actors. I mean I guess it makes it more frustrating when the budget is so low and the quality is otherwise so high, because you can see the good show buried underneath. The Walking Dead would be a big pile of poo poo even if it had a limitless budget.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
This is a good show, and probably a bad thread.
(goons watch tv wrong)

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Meat Baby was art.

Season 2... eh.

Still looking forward to season 3 but I hope it recaptures that special something.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

King Vidiot posted:

This sure is an AMC series alright.

But unlike The Walking Dead this show has decent writers, directors and actors. I mean I guess it makes it more frustrating when the budget is so low and the quality is otherwise so high, because you can see the good show buried underneath. The Walking Dead would be a big pile of poo poo even if it had a limitless budget.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I keep watching and come in here to bitch instead of just dropping the show. It has SO MUCH POTENTIAL, and you can really see it shine through in the action sequences, the casting, and the occasional piece of dialogue. But then yeah they spend a whole season in an apartment and even manage to make New Orleans, of all cities, come off as drab and boring. I know it's probably due to budget more than anything, but the slow burn style of storytelling really doesn't work for this material at all.

Tevryr
Dec 5, 2009
"You're out of moisturizer!...

...Bitch"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Adolph is gonna have some words with white supremacists next season... I hope.

Klansman: You guys notice that ALL Adolph ever talks about is how much he hates black people?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Eagerly awaiting season 3 of The Walking Preacher: The Farm

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Klansman: You guys notice that ALL Adolph ever talks about is how much he hates black people?

Just the other day me an' Luke had a real good conversation about tractor pulls.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I hope the busted leg means he's going all Dr. Strangelove

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Accretionist posted:

I hope the busted leg means he's going all Dr. Strangelove

Mein me, I can walk!

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
tulip was great this season

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
My season 3 prediction is that Starr makes Hitler the new Messiah. He has the oratory down, miracles can be faked and if you shave off the moustache it's not like anyone's going to recognise him.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I enjoyed this season as I knew going into it, once they hit New Orleans that's where they were going to stay due to AMC budget etc.

Few things that I know have been addressed in here:

They all know angels exists, they all know Jesse sent Eugene to Hell, they're being stalked by an agent of Death, why the gently caress do they give Jesse a hard time trying to find God every step of the way?

Tulip started off a strong character but has since turned into a very naggy side character that feels like she's going nowhere.

Cassidy and Jesse's relationship at the end "I hate you." WTF is that really? Felt really out of nowhere other than to say hey these guys have a complicated relationship.

Herr Starr was amazing but I have a soft spot for characters that have power and are bored with everything.

My prediction for Season 3 will be Seth Rogen as God.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I must be really dense or missed an episode or something because it's not at all clear to me why Cassidy killed Denis.

I mean okay so he was playing the stand-in for the Great Whankyre in the comics, but we never saw anything of what he was doing with Les Enfants du Sang except in this very episode finding that he looked at their website on his laptop. That hardly seems a reason to give him the same treatment that the one in the comics got for killing Anne Rice weeaboos for fun and bloodlust and, you know, not being related to Cassidy.

What did he do that was so awful? Kept a dog in a drawer? Played music too loud and French?

E: I guess he bit that one girl in the photo booth idk, better sun-nuke and wash your hands of him. I hope this is meant to be a source of huge character conflict for Cassidy in the future and not supposed to come across like Cassidy dispensing earned justice because drat

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 13, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Data Graham posted:

I must be really dense or missed an episode or something because it's not at all clear to me why Cassidy killed Denis.

I mean okay so he was playing the stand-in for the Great Whankyre in the comics, but we never saw anything of what he was doing with Les Enfants du Sang except in this very episode finding that he looked at their website on his laptop. That hardly seems a reason to give him the same treatment that the one in the comics got for killing Anne Rice weeaboos for fun and bloodlust and, you know, not being related to Cassidy.

What did he do that was so awful? Kept a dog in a drawer? Played music too loud and French?

I think based on the bloodstains that he saw and the various pieces of clothing that didn't belong to him, Cassidy pretty much had to accept that Denis was murdering women.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Medullah posted:

I think based on the bloodstains that he saw and the various pieces of clothing that didn't belong to him, Cassidy pretty much had to accept that Denis was murdering women.

Oh is that what the lingerie was about. I thought it was a "my 80-year-old vampire son is wearing frilly underwear, that's a bridge too far" thing, which was also :psyduck:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Oh is that what the lingerie was about. I thought it was a "my 80-year-old vampire son is wearing frilly underwear, that's a bridge too far" thing, which was also :psyduck:

I think the show might have broken your brain

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
There were lots of hints he was consistently killing women. Plus that conversation about Tulip "If you want her, just take her, that's what we do."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I thought those were Tulip's panties.

• Locked thread