Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Hi, a complete newbie at making avatars here. :) I was hoping to make for myself an avatar based on the kobold dance in this video. Reading the thread, I saw that I can use VirtualDub to extract frames from videos and GIMP or Photoshop to make an animated GIF. I have a few questions though.

- What's a good software or website used to extract the video I linked from Youtube?
- What are the rules for animated avatars here in SA? Like, what are the max dimensions or file size for one?
- Any tips on compressing a GIF to fit the max file size?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

A LOVELY LAD posted:

- http://www.clipconverter.cc/ allows you to download video between 2 timestamps make sure to download in the highest quality possible so preserve the retro pixels
- 180x180 pixels and 150kb
- delete frames, delete alternating frames. make the image size smaller, play about with the settings in the photoshop save to web menu

Quick instructional on how I do it w photoshop:
1 download video
2 open it in photoshop then use "save for web" to save it as a gif at high quality
3 now open the saved gif in photoshop and clip out the frames, save again using "save for web", where you can gently caress about with the settings, make sure to set it to loop forever

EDIT: I've had to go to town on it - this is the best I could come up with as the spinning is the best bit

Thanks a lot for the guide and for the example gif! I went with the spinning bit since that seemed the easiest to make a loop of. I've tried to do what you've described and here's what I came up with.

Normal speed:

Faster speed:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Thanks! Now I just got to come up with a text to go along with it. :)

• Locked thread