Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Same as before. First 11 people to send me their info get an invite. PM me your e-mail address and declare your intention in this thread. Same rules as the last draft. 20 teams, half PPR, etc.

https://www51.myfantasyleague.com/2017/home/69295

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I will put out invites today and see where we are.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Okay I flipped a coin for those who said they wouldn't mind giving up a slot and here's the list:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Drunk Nerds
Cervixalot
MrSargent
Leperflesh
jabro
Diqnol
Veritek83
Kenichisan
Ben Nevis
Sataere

I would like to change the draft so that this is a traditional mock, not a best ball league. We're close to July and I think it's time I treated this like redraft. Any issues with doing that?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
This is not a redraft league. It's a mock draft. The question is whether or not we're drafting as if it was a mock draft for a redraft league, or a draft for a best ball league. You won't be choosing players or doing anything else.

Roster: 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1FLX/1DST

Option 1: 14 Rounds (5 Bench Spots)
Option 2: 20 Rounds (Best Ball League Style)

My preference is Option 1.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Leperflesh posted:

OK well I'm OK with doing a mock draft, but I'd also like to do another best ball so if it's a mock draft I'll start a best ball draft later tonight.

14 spots makes more sense for a non-best-ball league.

Go ahead and start one up. More drafts is always better.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

89 posted:

So it won't track any points to see how we did at the end of the season?

I mean, I know it's just for fun but it was telling for me to see the league I drafted for (this one) in freakin June last year out did all of the ones I did in August.

Mostly cause I was forced to stick with my players but ya know lol

It will still keep track of things. The difference is how we draft. Rather than draft for a best ball league (20 players, needing to accommodate for bye weeks, etc) the idea is that we would treat this as a regular mock (14 players).

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Drunk Nerds posted:

When do we start?

Draft is starting July 1 at 8 AM EST. Timer is 12 hours. Anyone who wants to swap their draft position is more than welcome to request it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Drunk Nerds posted:

I like #1, but if someone desperately wants it because they have a draft coming up soon and they are first pick, I'd be happy to switch to whatever.

Welp, it's yours.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sataere posted:

I'll switch if it's not too late. Just to be in a different spot than last time

It's too late. I can't change order once the draft has started.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Feeling good about grabbing McCoy and Freeman. Hard to argue with their floor.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I debated between Jordy and Freeman. Both will likely be fine, but MY SHEET says that Freeman had more value and the two are basically equal on rank so it's a coin flip.

I'm probably not going to like this mock. Most of my other mocks have made me wish I had gone WR early, so we'll see how this works out. On the other hand McCoy's value was too great to give up (he's my 5th highest valued player and RB4), and Freeman is right behind him.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

89 posted:

Fournette in the 2nd, lol. I know he was a beast amongst men in college, but that Jacksonville o-line is baaaaaaad, bad, bad.

PFF ranks them 13th.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Rotoviz has a good article on why Dez might be a trap. Specifically his targets per game have been trending down, he hasn't been terribly efficient with those targets, and there isn't really any reason for that to change. In other words he's being drafted at his ceiling even though there's a solid chance he ends up as a WR2 like last year.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Both Thomas and Robinson have mid-third round grades, so getting them at the turn is pretty fantastic. I didn't really feel the need to go QB (particularly since I'm not sold on Brady), TE is something I will likely punt on unless the value is very good, and while RB is an option my highest ranked player is Marshawn Lynch and I really like the opportunity elsewhere. Thomas was last year's WR13 and has been a consistent starter, so drafting him as the 19th player off the board is great value. Robinson was the next highest value and I think he's in line for a bounce-back year. Obviously there are a lot of risks here (not the least of which being Bortles), but given that Bortles was playing injured I'm willing to take a shot on a player who last year was being drafted in the first round.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1FLX, 1DST

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ben Nevis posted:

I'm happy to be rolling out Crabtree as a WR3. I've loved this guy since he beat Texas. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjI1Cub_ofo

I considered getting him in the fourth. No way he should have lasted that long.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Larry Fitzgerald is going to be 34 and is certainly on the wrong side of things, but even in his age he makes a fantastic WR3. Hard to argue with his floor, although it looks like my team is looking exceptionally safe. The honest answer is that I just don't see any players that really excite me.

Mark Ingram is great in a PPR format, and personally I think arguments for Adrian Peterson are overblown.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
If someone wants to change a pick I can do it, but I would prefer to avoid going back too much.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Leperflesh posted:

Oh, man, yeah that. I use beersheets and the last couple years I used them as a crutch to avoid learning about a lot of the guys I was drafting. I definitely wound up with one or two players I shouldn't have, just because I went with the consensus. (And that's no knock on Beersheets, mind you, that's just a tool that aggregates expert rankings, it's not on Beer to second-guess or analyze that stuff. )

This year I'm trying really hard to actually develop theories about every player I draft, and every higher-ADP player I pass over, too. Even if my reasoning winds up being totally wrong, at least it was my reasoning. Otherwise, why play? A computer can take consensus ADP and autodraft a team.

All that said, my strength has always been in working the waiver wire and that's where most of my effort goes regardless.

I'm the first person to say that ignoring consensus values for your own personal rankings is perfectly acceptable. It's something I routinely do, no matter how hard it is to ignore the compulsion to simply follow what THE SHEET tells me to do.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

89 posted:

TIGHT END RUN!!!!!! 😱😱😱😱😱😱😱

I'd rather start one than be left behind. Plus Eifert offers a ton of upside if he's healthy. In the past I waited even longer on a TE and really hated the outcome.

As for Maclin, I feel like there are a bunch of high upside players in this tier. It was difficult to decide between them but I chose the guy with the QB who has an amazing arm.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
LOL 2nd QB.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Leperflesh posted:

If this were the first week of September, I'd only draft one QB. But it's July; if you only draft one QB, you could wind up having to grab a free agent before the season even begins.

I actually keep having this issue when making draft picks in a mock draft in July. A bunch of guys are going to get hurt during training camp and that's going to affect everything... so I feel that I would need insurance.

Maybe I'm not mock drafting properly, I dunno. It's OK though, you all play in other leagues and you certainly have at least one league taco who drafts two QBs, right?

My family league has 2-3 tacos, so I appreciate it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Cam Newton - ECR has him going two rounds earlier and we're only one year away from when he was being drafted in the top five. Sure we're expecting him to see less of a running role and he's recovering from injury, but this late in the draft his upside is too high to ignore.

Kenny Britt - Seeing the TEs available makes me wish I had waited another round and picked up a better WR like DeVante Parker last round, but Britt is someone I'm high on. Last year Britt was a WR2 on a per game basis, historically he's made his really lovely QBs better, and arguably Cleveland is a better situation than LA.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Leperflesh posted:

Marvin Jones. The clear #2 in Detroit's passing attack, with 800+ yards as a floor, and potential for a lot more than that if he shapes up. Supposedly he'll be better this year after working with Randy Moss in the offseason? I won't count on it, but he'll be fine to slot in for bye weeks and matchups.

I avoided a couple of other similar cases due to bye weeks; there were several decent WR options at this point I think, and I wouldn't call Jones in the 10th a reach.

If I hadn't gotten Cam I would have gotten Jones.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Terrance West - With four RBs I'm pretty happy, especially since all of them are starters in the beginning of the season. There's no guarantee that Dixon takes the starting role when he comes back.

Adam Thielen - Last year's breakout season saw him finish as a WR2, and there are plenty of additional targets for him to improve. For all his talents Stefon Diggs is highly injury prone, and even if that's not the case Thielen is likely to outperform his draft spot as the 54th WR off the board. Overall I'm really kicking myself for my TE and QB choices. I could have waited a round and picked up Kyle Rudolph instead of Tyler Eifert, and there are plenty of QBs still on the board that I would be happy to own (Taylor and Dalton in particular) and would likely be able to get super late.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Andy Dalton - gently caress me I should have waited on QB. I love his upside.

Vikings - :geno:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Want another?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Drunk Nerds posted:

I do, but I think I should keep free to make sure the goon fish bowl goes smoothly.
Why aren't you in it? We have two more spaces left.

Trying to limit my leagues while I work on a PhD.

• Locked thread