Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Yeah, if this is gonna be a regular league, I think I'd rather not do this one. I'm in too many leagues as it is. Not sure I will be able to keep up.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Oh, if it's just a mock, I'm cool. I misunderstood.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I'm a bit sad to be in the back end of the draft again, but honestly I hope it's where I'm at in my drafts anyway. But if anyone wants my spot, let me know and we can swap. (12)

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Ben Nevis posted:

You're not going to trick me.

How am I trying to trick you? :shrug:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Ben Nevis posted:

I see you back there greedily eyeing my 11 spot.

But I only have 11 players in my first tier! :argh:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Diqnol posted:

Anyone that wants my draft spot can have it, just post that you want it and it's yours. I think I'm 3rd? I'll only veto if you're 6 or 7.

I'll switch if it's not too late. Just to be in a different spot than last time

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's too late. I can't change order once the draft has started.

Yeah, I'm not too worried. I'll win anyway. :v:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

So apparently I was picking 8th, not 12th. Hmm, I only casually set up a pre draft list and not sure I would've taken Howard at 8, because I like his chances of being there in the second. Still, I think he'll be top five this year, so not too miffed.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

89 posted:

I would have skipped him.

Yay, Julio.

It's funny how last year was ANTONIO, ODELL, AND JULIOOOO with the first 3 picks. Now it's complete opposite with BELL, DAVID JOHNSON, ZEKEEEE....oh hey, what's up WR fam.

Because Bell was suspended, DJ was a one year wonder and Zeke was a rookie in a league where rookies never lead the league in rushing.

While zero RB was an exciting strategy, having the top RB on your team is the easiest path to championships and always had been. It's just a bitch figuring out who that'll be. :v:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Feeling good about grabbing McCoy and Freeman. Hard to argue with their floor.

I'm annoyed with the Howard pick because I think Freeman at 8 would've been nice. I really just put a couple guys up I thought would be available at 12 and planned on seeing who was available once ten was on the board. Lesson learned.

Still think Howard ends top five, so not that perturbed

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I'm not that worried. Truth be told, he is my RB4. But I believe in maximizing value. Mike Evans and AJ Green were both better values and will likely be better than whichever combination of receiver and Howard I'll get in the second if that's the direction I go.

I'd rather have one of those two and the RB8. And I'm mostly just talking to explain why what I did is wrong by my own draft logic. Because offseason.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I've changed my mind about Howard. If I knew Jordy would fall to me, I'd take Howard every time in that spot. I got my RB4 and WR4, so I'm happy.

The Jordy pick is especially amusing based on the debate I'm having with Leperflesh, since I am decidedly anti-Jordy with my first pick in dynasty. :D

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

89 posted:

Fournette in the 2nd, lol. I know he was a beast amongst men in college, but that Jacksonville o-line is baaaaaaad, bad, bad.

Fournette is solid in the second and Jacksonville's line wasn't the problem. Bad running backs were the problem.

Having said that, I'm not sure I could take him before the third.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I debated between Jordy and Freeman. Both will likely be fine, but MY SHEET says that Freeman had more value and the two are basically equal on rank so it's a coin flip.

These were my top three in the queue for the second. I had Freeman higher too.

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah and I passed on Jordy to take Gronk, so :shrug:

Would have taken Gronk if Jordy weren't there :D

Drunk Nerds posted:

2.12 Dez Bryant:
What the living drat? Shame on all of you

Jordy > Dez

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

I guess I'm OK with Hyde in the third round. Probably the niners will be a bit better this year, and he'll be healthy, and if both of those things happen he should be OK. :shrug:

Hyde makes me nervous, because I get the feeling Shanahan doesn't like him. The problem is I like Hyde a lot.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I planned on saving QB until much later, but I really didn't like the value at WR or RB. I already had Cooks and Nelson, and not really sold on Hill. The RBs remaining were not worth a fourth. So I took my highest rated QB.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Edit double post

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I considered getting him in the fourth. No way he should have lasted that long.

I like him and would take him fifth or sixth, but I think Cooper is poised to steal shares. The last draft had me feeling like I can get great wide receiver depth and running back depth in the later rounds and I'm really high on Luck this year.

That and everyone is drafting exceptionally well this time around. I felt much stronger about the value I was getting in the first draft compared to this one.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

So in the same vein as my fourth pick, I kinda didn't feel anything for what was available and just grabbed Hunter Henry. I'm very high on him and feel I can have a solid TE option and just shore up RB and WR the rest of the way, since this is a mock draft and I don't normally go with two TEs and only do two QBs 50% of the time.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

I took Edelman. He is still listed as the #1 WR on the New England Patriots. Am I missing something? I toyed with a couple other WR1s still on the list but I decided this was just too much value for the mid fifth round.

Honestly, the only reason I didn't take him over Henry was I already have Cook. Also the reason I didn't take him over Luck.

Really regretting the Cook pick. :v:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Chen, speak now or forever hold your peace

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

OK quick question. There's no negative points in the scoring in this league for interceptions. Is that an oversight? Or should I draft on the presumption that INTs don't hurt QBs?

Isn't this just a mock anyway?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Derek Carr is my jam. If I hadn't grabbed Luck, I probably take him with my fifth pick.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Ben Nevis posted:

I'm sad Perkins was grabbed before it got to me.

I'm happy Coleman fell to me. Very happy with him as my RB2. Surprised he lasted this long.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

89 posted:

Why is everybody so high on Perkins? Guy didn't show anything last year.

*cough* There's much better starting RBs on the board stil *cough*

Perkins doesn't have a lot of competition and he did show flashes behind a garbage line. He went high for my tastes, but I can see the appeal.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Could someone please explain the Coleman love in the fifth round? Even Larry Johnson circa '05, the most valued backup rb I can ever recall, lasted til 6-7

Coleman was a solid RB2 last year, even splitting carries. He is used a fair amount in the passing game and if something happens to Freeman, he looks to inherit a top tier workload.

He is a high floor / high ceiling guy.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

I agree with all of that, but don't see why he'd rate higher than the RB1s still on the board.

Because there are no RB1s left on the board, in my opinion. Only 12 RB1s, and they are all gone. If you mean lead backs, being a lead/feature back is a poor metric. I care about opportunities and I think Coleman will see more looks than a lot of the guys still left.

EDIT: But Gore is a solid option. I just have a gut feeling about him that last year was the end.

Sataere fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 7, 2017

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

The thing is, this isn't best ball. When do you start Coleman? Obviously if Freeman is hurt, but otherwise, you're starting him in your RB2 slot and just hoping that this week he has the opportunities, maybe if the Falcons get well ahead and are running down the clock.

Gore/CJ on the other hand you can start in your RB2 slot any week they're not already injured and have a very solid floor to work from. Most of us are drafting our third RB at this point, so this is a guy you're going to slot in on a bye week or if one of your top two guys is hurt, not an every-week starter anyway, so you want someone you can just plug in. I see Bilal Powell just went and he's probably the RB1 on a ground-heavy attack. I guess there's still a chance Forte is RB1 but even then, I'd put Powell and Coleman's opportunities as being quite similar, albeit Coleman is on a much better team.

I'm not down on Coleman exactly, I just don't love his opportunity. There's a ton of teams in the NFL where he'd be great as a featured RB, but a healthy Devonta Freeman finishes top five and I don't think that leaves Coleman enough to want him ahead of guys like Gore, CJ anderson, and Bilal Powell.

e. Gillislee I'm completely not sold on though, despite being a Patriot he's a huge risk because he's unproven as a RB1, plus you know, Belichick loves to dick around with his running backs.

Last year, Freeman finished as a top back and Coleman outperformed most of them. His opportunities should be fine. I started Coleman in an RB2 slot for much of last year and was fine. It's just a gut feeling. I get your logic. I really do.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

And there's the other two guys I'd take before.coleman, lol.

Martin is missing a quarter of his games. And Lacy didn't make my weight cutoff, so he's off my board. :v:

Lacy is in a time share too. I don't like his situation.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

for my rb3, missing the first few games is fine, my 1 and 2 will not likely lose their jobs or get hurt before then. And lacy at least has the opportunity to keep a starting job... coleman does not.

Enough said tho. If I'm wrong, that won't be unusual, fantasy is mostly bullshit guessing anyway

Agreed. And honestly, Martin was someone I was targeting. I just straight up don't like Lacy at his ADP. Would rather have Rawls ten rounds later.

Since I'm starting a fantasy blog in a couple of weeks, I'm not being as cagey with my choices and my decision making this year, despite playing with a lot of you guys. I go against the grain on a lot of things, but if you've been in leagues with me, you know I'm very good at this.

My number one rule is don't be afraid of going against the grain of conventional wisdom. I'd rather be wrong because I made a bad choice then be wrong because I went with a consensus that I'm not behind. It's a hard rule to adhere to though. Last year, group think cost me Hunter Henry in dynasty and it still bothers me.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

All that said, my strength has always been in working the waiver wire and that's where most of my effort goes regardless.

Waiver wire is where leagues are won.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm the first person to say that ignoring consensus values for your own personal rankings is perfectly acceptable. It's something I routinely do, no matter how hard it is to ignore the compulsion to simply follow what THE SHEET tells me to do.

If you just follow the sheets blindly, you are using them wrong. There is no question that my recent fantasy football dominance can be linked to them, but only because it is an easy tool to figure out where players will be drafted and adjust my strategy to maximize the players I draft that I love.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

The thing is, Sproles is 34. Maybe he'll have Gore-like longevity, but I think the Eagles picking up Blount is a tacit acknowledgement that no, he's not gonna still be able to carry that workload. You might be right about a timeshare... but Blount is a superbowl-winning QB who at 30 is still clearly playing as if he is in his prime.

He can't possibly repeat his 18 TDs from last season, but in the seventh round I'd be delighted with 8.

I don't see Smallwood or Pumphrey as threats: they're future stock for the Eagles, to be developed on special teams etc., not really playable backs at this point.

e. I would certainly have taken Powell before Blount, yeah.

e2. Basically I guess Blount is taking all of Ryan Matthews' work, plus maybe some of Sproles, and that's a lot of work.

I don't think it matters. Sproles and Blount are two different roles.

Pretty stoked to go with Coleman and Henry with my last two picks. I feel like I have the two best 2nd string RBs for top ten RB1 production this year. It's a high upside gambit and I can still pick up a nice third down guy later.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Maclin went much earlier than in the first goon slow draft. I'm giving you guys too much information!

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Drunk Nerds posted:

No need to worry: The reason Maclin went later was because he was on the chiefs when he was picked in that first draft, iirc

And he was still drafted too late. Cutting Maclin is why the GM was fired. He's a WR2 on any team this year and he'll legitimately be the fourth receiver drafted on a lot of teams because people are dumb.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

89 posted:

Noooo, Decker was supposed to fall to me!

Mariota.

I was a bit nervous about waiting too long on my third receiver. Between Decker and Shepard, I think my team has rounded out beautifully and I really like the make up of my roster.

89 posted:

Honestly, I'm not too against this weird drafting idea I've spontaneously gone with. Load up on the discounted old guys who were the elite 1-2 years ago. Pad the bottom with boom or bust high potential young guys.

I've always felt that old guys who have one bad year always take too drastic a hit in many situations. It's not a bad strategy, as long as you hedge your bets.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Ben Nevis posted:

I don't know what to do with Shepard. After a promising year 1, I'd be all over him if it weren't for the Marshall acquisition. And to a lesser extent Engram. I feel like his value last year was mostly because he overproduced on TDs and those opportunities might dry up.

Marshall is no guarantee and I look at investment. First year tight ends generally don't do dick. Marshall is gonna play the slot. I think him and Engram will be competing for catches, not Sterling.

Sterling has had a full NFL offseason, had a promising rookie year and was drafted at a high position on his team. There's no reason to believe he'll get worse and as a fourth receiver, that's a great floor. A lot of people thought he might be the best receiver in last year's draft, so he still has a high ceiling. I'm happy with him.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

Aw, I was hoping to grab Jamaal Charles next round.

Yeah, that felt like the spot to take him. I think he'll end up being a huge steal or flaming out spectacularly. I don't mind rolling the dice on a guy with a 25% 5% chance of being an RB1 in the 10th.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I get being low on Latavius Murray. I'm honestly not a fan. But really? He falls to the 11th round on a team whose head coach hates rookies? Thanks, I guess. :shrug:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah the fantasy world seems really down on him, on the impression that he was only good in Oakland because of a great OL and if he'd been that good, Oakland would have re-signed him or something.

I don't think he's a world-class RB but he's also not awful, either, and he should be a solid option as like a RB3 on a fantasy team. I seriously considered taking him this round but decided I wanted a decent TE or failing that a decent WR.

I'm sort of surprised as well at how many teams are rostering 5+ RBs. The format is 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE, 1 FLEX, right? I get taking a fourth RB for some insurance, but a fifth... ehhh...

e. In your case you've got Jamaal Charles and Derrik Henry, so I guess a safe fifth RB makes more sense.

I had to hedge my running back bets. I still have four pretty strong receivers, but I also think there are more worthwhile running backs in the middle rounds and receivers are easier to find.

I'm treating this like an actual mock draft. That means I know I'll find at least one WR3 on the WW during the regular season. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Terrance West - With four RBs I'm pretty happy, especially since all of them are starters in the beginning of the season. There's no guarantee that Dixon takes the starting role when he comes back.

Adam Thielen - Last year's breakout season saw him finish as a WR2, and there are plenty of additional targets for him to improve. For all his talents Stefon Diggs is highly injury prone, and even if that's not the case Thielen is likely to outperform his draft spot as the 54th WR off the board. Overall I'm really kicking myself for my TE and QB choices. I could have waited a round and picked up Kyle Rudolph instead of Tyler Eifert, and there are plenty of QBs still on the board that I would be happy to own (Taylor and Dalton in particular) and would likely be able to get super late.

West was about to be drafted by me when I realized that Latavius Murray was still around.

• Locked thread