Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

X-ray reflectivity is a technique used to study crystalline structures. Making use of Bragg's law, λ=2dsin(θ), one can assess the thickness of a thin film by measuring the angle of total reflection, and compar

Hi, we found this baby animal in our driveway and weren't able to figure out where it came from/where its mother might be. Does anyone know what this is? We're in Toronto, if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
My guess is rat?
https://pixabay.com/en/rat-baby-rats-baby-nager-425628/

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Yeah, it's a baby rat.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
who cares just kill it

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

KomodoWagon posted:

who cares just kill it

:O

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
its a rat, just under 10 days old or so and about to open its eyes.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010
It's also not a domesticated rat, so you probably should kill it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

take me to the beaver posted:

It's also not a domesticated rat, so you probably should kill it.

Unironic question: is the difference between domesticated and wild rat breeds sufficient that this is actually a sensical statement?

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010
It's not really my area of expertise as I have never personally kept rodents other than mice, but I know that there are some significant physiological differences (lifespan, body shape, and ear shape is the best tell of which kind the rat is) as well as behavioral differences. There have also been some significant genomic differences found as well, though I'm not sure how much of that could be explained by a historical divergence of breeding lines. Generally speaking it's safe to assume that you never want an undomesticated animal in your house because it will bite the poo poo out of you and piss on everything you hold dear. This is also true of some domesticated animals, but the odds are slightly more in your favor of being able to retrain them to stop doing that.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You could also just place it somewhere and forget about it, cause it's basically already dead.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

You could also just place it somewhere and forget about it, cause it's basically already dead.

Yeah, if OP would feel guilty about killing it they could just put it somewhere nearby, the mother rat might come back and sniff it out, but probably not. Then again, if you have a rat infestation you're probably best off making sure it's dead.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
Common Brushtail Possum

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Unironic question: is the difference between domesticated and wild rat breeds sufficient that this is actually a sensical statement?

There are no "breeds" of rat, only species. The domestic rat is a domesticated strain of rattus norvegicus. It is *truly* domesticated, so yes the distinction matters. As far as this thread goes though, no it doesn't matter. It's a wild rat and even if hand raised will be a big wild rear end in a top hat and the OP should drop a brick on it.

Ferryll
Sep 16, 2013

<3

You could contact your local Wildlife Rescue for more options and to help clear your conscience.

I had a domestic rat, he was the best! He was sweet, smart, snuggly, and liked to ride around on my shoulder. If I hadn't developed a rather nasty allergy to all rodents, I would still have pets rats.

I wouldn't recommend making a pet out of a wild rat (especially as your first rat pet), but here's some info on the subject: http://www.ratforum.com/showthread.php?50737-Have-you-ever-caught-a-wild-rat-and-kept-it-as-a-pet

Ferryll fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 2, 2017

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Kill it. It's a rat. It needs to die or it'll just run out and poo poo out more babies everywhere and spread it's pestilence across the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
hey op this is what that lil cutie will turn into

and then my dog will kill it

• Locked thread