Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I'm an A/V tech and stagehand by trade. A few months ago a friend's small band was going on tour; they offered me an equal share in the drugs and half a share in merch sales. I turned them down because gently caress being the one guy in the band other than the drummer who works, but I've been making some connections with slightly bigger ones who can actually pay me money, (not good money or anywhere near fair pay for my time/skills, but still). Do any of you have experience doing that kind of work? Love it, hate it, stuff I should know?

Please do not suggest that I watch the VH1 show Roadies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
I have no experience in this but will say, don't work for them if they can't pay you. If you want to do it because they are your friends and if you want the experience then those are good reasons. But don't let them pretend that they are paying you fairly for your time.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Like I said in the OP, it's nowhere near fair pay for my skills/time. I know this, they know I know this. My main job has regular, predictable slow periods where I can disappear for a week or two without upsetting anything, so it's less an opportunity to earn money and more a road trip that I may break even on.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

- Don't get involved in any drug related shenanigans. Just stick to weed and don't take anything where you don't know exactly what's in it (helllllooooooo accidental khole)
- Warm up and stretch down and don't be a hero when carrying gear. I used to carry ridiculously heavy bass bins and the multicore box of death by could have so easily wrecked my back for life.
- Try and exercise every day, it's really easy to get stuck in a watch DVDs in back of van/bus -> load-in -> gig -> load-out -> party too much -> wake up cycle every single day
- The biggest band I worked for would often gently caress with me for fun, like gaffa taping guitars into stage stands necessitating me to run out with a knife and cut them free during changeovers. (This was a pretty drat famous band, too.) Be on your toes.
- Be careful with your per diems, you can easily come back broke from just buying expensive food and drink every day.
- You are absolutely not going to get groupies trying to gently caress you to get to the band. Depends on the band though, I suppose, I never did big pop acts
- Don't do it after you're 30 or so, the knee / back injuries you will get are not worth it.

Daughter
Jul 23, 2007

Ive done a lot of touring of different sizes and each one is completely different.

--Headlining amphitheater tours will pay great because these are the biggest acts, but your'e loading in a massive production starting at about 8 AM and lucky to be back to the bus by 12-1 AM. Loooong days on your feet and working your rear end off with most downtime before the show starting spent napping in my bunk. But you get 3 catered meals a day and $50 a day per diem, I have gone entire summers without using my credit card. I shouldnt say you always get that but its pretty close to standard.

--Opening slot on an amphitheater tour is the most fun I have ever had touring. We didnt load in until around 3pm and were packed up and in the back of the semi by 750-8pm. From 8 until bus call at 2am was whatever scene you want. You want the drugs and booze and girls, its there. Every night is a parking lot party with people throwing frisbees and footballs, grills going, motorbikes zipping by. Our bus was the party bus because we were done so early. These amphitheaters are usually in the middle of nowhere so you are confined to the grounds, but so much fun, and getting paid.

--Club tours are normally downtown in major cities. So when load in and setup is done you can wander off and find good food and take in any touristy poo poo. Ive done club tours in busses and vans and there are pros and cons to both. The obvious comforts of the bus are nice but so is a van and a hotel room every night. Not every club has a shower and sometimes when they do they are not very appealing. I like to shower after a long days work and use the bathroom in the morning, you cant do that on a bus.

I have never done the van tour where everyone sleeps in the van, taking turns driving to the next city.

As Clamps said it can gently caress you up. I left a tour last summer and both of my hands were numb. Found out it was carpal tunnel from repetitive heavy lifting and surgery was required to fix the issue....should have used my stage hands more! It is fun though and something you should try and see if you like it. Its not for everyone and I can guarantee that if you think a job isnt offering you enough money, there will be someone who will take it. There is always someone who wants to go on tour.

Daughter fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 3, 2017

hooliganesh
Aug 1, 2003

REPENT!
Clamps McGraw: Daughter:

If you're up to it, I'd love the hell out of a thread based on funny/crazy tour stories. There are some pretty good youtube vids about life on the road from different positions and responsibilities viewpoints. Motörhead stands out in particular and I'd love reading (more of) your perspectives.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
You roadies should share stories

Stories from the road

You could call the thread

Roadies' Stories

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Road Stories from Roadies on the Road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

From the trucking perspective and as someone who was raised on the road and grew to work in it-

You've gotta be patient. Some crews are better than others, but there are plenty of powertripping motherfuckers who will do what they can to make your life hell for months at a time. a good tour manager and production manager can go a long way toward making a tour worth it or completely miserable.

Stay on excellent terms with the tour accountant. Trust me on this.

Actually, anyone on the tour can suddenly make a crew go sour. You'll be with the same people for months on end, and being trapped on a bus with some people can be legitimately nightmarish (thank goodness I always had my own cab to stay in!).

Going on tour with English acts with mostly English crews means poo poo catering and weight loss. Otherwise, it's pretty dope to have catering that tours along because you can build relationships with the caterers which means occasionally getting spoiled. Either way, take your drat vitamins. Getting sick kinda isn't an option.

Gaffer's tape and a flashlight will save your rear end so many times.

You can't depend on local runners to have the slightest clue how to even go on a drat coffee run. Try to make friends in each city you go to; a lot of local stagehands have been in the business for years on end and are a goldmine of information and delicious gossip.
They'll also be able to tell you what kinds of fun stuff to do in whatever city you're in; often stagehands get everything with setup done by 2-3 and don't have to get back to work til 8 or so. Use that time to get your exploration on!

With larger acts, a lot of crew members have been around for quite some time and know each other pretty drat well. Do what you can to demonstrate one hell of a work ethic, learn something new every day, and you'll be able to build a career in this ridiculous, hilarious, wonderful, and often garbage industry.

I wouldn't trade this insanity for the world.

• Locked thread