Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Great thread OP. Highly accurate.

I grew up and live in San Antonio, and I remember when HfH was first built. I've volunteered serving food there a few times back in 2016.

The description in the OP about the "prospect" side is very true. Most homeless in San Antonio will take advantage of the prospect side, and never make it to the members living area. It is really your last resort living in South Texas on a hard day living on the streets to find some somewhat safe surroundings at night. But it is really horrible the type of depravity that happens there. For the most part, you are spending your night on the prospect side trying to sort out where you are going to score drugs the next day, or who you're going to steal from to get high.

I don't like to say this but I found it true after working there- it would honestly be smarter to spend your nights in county jail right down the street. At least in county jail the food is better, your indoors with a bed and private (well you and your cellie at least) bathroom, and for most petty crimes you get out in 24-48 hours. poo poo, most normal crimes you're out of there pretty quick too. So I also met a lot of homeless I know choose to spend the night in jail rather than go to Haven for Hope. That's just a perspective for you on how bad the courts are outside.

That being said, the members side is amazing. But very militant, like the OP states. But if you can put up with it, how incredible is it to go from completely homeless in the streets- to living in a paid apartment getting treatment in 1-2 years? Thats the incredible side of this place. But statistics show, very very very few individuals make it that far. It takes a lot of hardwork and effort that many of these homeless living with mental illnesses can't cope with. Thankfully, they have a lot of mental treatment officers on the members side too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread