Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

Just chiming in to say I'm also fascinated, Prester. I live in a city that struggles heavily with homelessness and addiction, and it's interesting to see an insider's perspective on the things some cities are doing to combat it and help those affected. It is clear you spend a lot of time on these posts and your storytelling and attention to detail makes it riveting. I've struggled with mental illness myself (like Shayl, to a lesser degree) and I'll definitely be lurking this thread at the very least. I hope your kitty continues to do well :3:

When you are up for it, my question is: how can those of us who are more fortunate contribute?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

Super fascinating thread, Prester. I can't remember if this has been covered, but what's your experience or opinion of homeless people who have pets? I know many facilities don't allow them, and it seems to me to be very hard to pin down whether it's a pro/con. On one hand, if you have a dog, you have built-in protection (or perceived protection), and you might have had your dog when housed and aren't willing to hand it over to the system, which may euthanize/abuse it/you never see your friend again. On the other hand, it may complicate housing and keep you from taking the next step. I'm wondering if you have any thoughts on the subject.

Additionally, I found it really interesting to read about your accounts with your mental illness and the way you view/had viewed your reality. I have a friend who recently discovered she has Aphantasia, or the inability to imagine. It's insane to think that when you say "imagine you're on a beach" it's completely alien to her. She knows what a beach is, can identify it, but has zero ability to "see" it in her head. Just another way we're all different, and something she didn't realize until her late 20's. If you're interested you can read about it here http://www.bbc.com/news/health-34039054 and through other sources. Brains are loving weird!

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

I completely agree. I work with animals every day and I know exactly how important they are to mental wellbeing. I also have my own mental issues and good god, that unconditional love is so loving important. I know some victims of partner abuse refuse to leave because they fear for the life of the animal they love, and it's tragic to deny them (and the pet) safe haven because of lack of care to this issue. You have to wonder about how many more people would be more prepared to leave a dangerous situation if they knew their pet could come with them, or people who could move to safe housing to care for their animal rather than be forced onto the street to save both of their lives.

• Locked thread