Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Don't have time to write up a full post, but as someone else who suffer from Mental Illness and lives in Texas, it shocks me to learn that you were able to find some form of help in this state. Or just that Austin sucks when it comes to mental health care for people that can't pay $300 a session out of pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Wizgot posted:

After hearing about all the different types of people you could find at the facility you were staying at in Austin, who would you say was the most downright evil individual you have come into contact with? I hope the question is on topic and not inappropriate.

Can't tell if this is directed at me or Prester Jane, but feel like I should answer just in case.

I would not say that anyone I ran across came across of straight up evil, I mean were they vindictive and tried to hurt anyone they could? Yeah there were a few of those, but mostly what I come across are people that had been trying to do it on their own for so long that it finally became too much for them. Be it from the stress of getting their PHD or PTSD from their service in Iraq/Afghanistan and they were thankfully saved by friends or strangers from successfully killing themselves.

The cops did drop a few people off at night though, most spent their time in the detox wing as they were arrested for trespassing or running through the streets naked and other things that seem like a good idea while high/drunk The other kind that got dropped off, were the homeless that either had destroyed their brain with drug abuse years ago or were just never gifted with much thinking skills to be begin with. These last ones were the ones that could be set off by the littlest thing and more often than not, would not be on our floor/wing for long before they either got transferred to jail or a more secure facility for their type of treatment.

The more secure facility I mention is nicknamed Ash, or the Ash, but it really is Austin State Hospital, and is not really a place you want to end up. I don't know if you ever stayed there Prester Jane, but from was described to me (mind you from individuals that were less than sane) is Ash is designed for the long term treatment/confinement. The kind of people whose minds had completely shattered and needed constant care to prevent them from eating their fingers, throwing their own poo poo at people as a sort of amusement. The kind of place you see portrayed in Hollywood as the worst possible place you would ever want to be.

During my stay, one person had to be transferred there due to his refusal to go to sleep and the deterioration of his mental state that led to. First it was just whatever room he was in had to have an open path around the edges of the room and he would move anything that prevented this. TV stands, coffee machines, water fountain, potted plant, you name it, it got moved. That was the first 24 hours, then it progressed to the path between his bedroom and the main lobby where we all hung out. People had started to catch on to what was going on so they would intentionally move their chairs to block him. Either he would stand there and just glare at them until he creeped them out enough they moved on their own, or he would go get fresh hot coffee and threaten to pour it on you. He would start with a drip as a warning and it only took 2 cups poured on someone before the chair blocking stopped. It was on his third day that poo poo got really off the rails, in that now it was not just his room and the main break room that needed to be walked, but every unlocked room he had access to, which is all of the inpatients rooms. Also as our bathroom areas did not have doors, he would walk the edges of the shower, while someone else was in there bathing. He got hit a few times for that one and the staff doctors were scared for his sake as well as others if this escalation continued. Not that he would have anywhere new to walk to, but who knows what else he might start doing. Needless to say that in the afternoon while we were eating lunch and he was walking like normal, he walked by one the locked staff only doors. Two orderlies popped out of the door grabbed him and then two more orderlies ran up with a needle and injected him with something and he was out like a light. They restrained him a bit and then walked him down stairs to waiting van. We were told after lunch that he had been transferred for more intensive treatment to Ash. Though while the orderlies were packing up his things from his room, it turned out he had been stealing quite a bit of stuff from everyone. Clothes mostly, though he was found with a few packs of clonazepam, still sealed, so this led to the entire ward being searched for any more contraband.

Following this incident is where I mentioned in another thread that the staff had determined it would be too cold to go out to smoke. Thought there was going to be a drat riot and someone was going to start busting out the smoke grenades and thorazine to get everything under control. The staff did eventually capitulate and agree to let the smokers out and an easy peace settled back over the ward.

I realize now, that my ambien fueled ramblings may have gone on longer than I intended, but there is still one person I want to talk about, as they were the one who made me realize mental illness can effect anyone and everyone. He was someone who came from extreme wealth and had been going to school at UT when signs of schizophrenia began to appear. Not wanting to let down his parents, he kept this fact from them and kept making good grades and all was well. Till it wasn't. The story he told us that when his room mate caught him having a debate with 2 other people at 4 am about if him killing himself would be something for the greater good of humanity. The only problem was, there were three seats at the table, but only one actually had someone sitting in it.

This guys stay was brief while I was there, but I found it so interesting that someone who seemed to have everything going from them, was sitting across from me at the lunch table arguing with the demonic and angelic visions in his mind about how the universe worked according to him. None of us ever got to hear the other side as he would not do the voices for them, but from what we could piece together is that whatever he was seeing would morph and change from light to dark to light again in the matter of a few seconds. So while he would having a nice conversation with the group, he would mention that the light told him we were all nice people and we were blessed. This at times would be followed up with him punching a nearby chair yelling at the dark for saying such hurtful and cruel things about us.

He was soon collected by his parents a couple of days later and all his paperwork was handed over to the new family psychiatrist/psychologist and he was flown home on the family's private jet. I only know this, because he wanted everyone to know these things and did not want to just leave and never say good bye.

To say that they were not impactful on me is a lie. Here is a person who had everything going for him, he deep down was a good person and seemed to want to only do good deeds, but to be afflicted with seemingly demonic whispers in his ears telling him to do the exact opposite and to think that he may never get to his dreams realized, still kind of sticks with me to this day.

Going to end this rant on a mixed note, but the way Mental Health is handled in America and other countries around the world is terrible and it is causing so much unneeded pain. Also Prester Jane if you are in Austin ever, I will buy you a drink, meal, clothes or whatever you need. Not wealthy by any means, but I don't mind helping out goons in need.

• Locked thread