Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

This is Jasper, my parents' cat, and a very bad boy.

Lately Jasper has gotten mighty bored, and decided to take up pooping on the floor. My parents have tried positively everything to fix this problem: different litter, different food, you name it. It's gotten to the point where if he has an "accident" he gets banished for a day to Poop Jail, a closed-off portion of the house of just a few rooms, but it doesn't seem to have much of an effect. The pooping is sporadic. He seems to like hardwood floors in particular. My parents, who are really busy, are so exasperated with the problem that they are considering carpeting the hallways.

Do cat "trainers" exist, like dog obedience trainers but for cats? We are willing to try anything to fix this problem.

In case it's relevant, here's what he looked like a little more than a year ago. He had a couple atomic hairballs requiring very expensive surgery and on the vet's advice my parents get him shaved every month or so now. But the pooping problem started before all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the floofiest kitty in the world poops where he pleases, is all

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

There was a lot of it

https://giant.gfycat.com/ClumsyBogusGoldenretriever.mp4

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010
Have you ruled out a veterinary cause? For several cats I've known, phantom pooping was a sign of IBS/IBD. When pooping is painful or scary, many cats associate the litterbox with the pain or fear and start pooping anywhere that seems safe. Sometimes this is your bed. Thanks, cat.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

We have indeed, via multiple trips to the vet. There also doesn't seem to be any pattern in terms of where he poops specifically.

He seems to paw at the floor before dropping his deuce, if that means anything.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Pooping in the house is exhausting.

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010
How old is he?

I'm no expert, I don't even particularly like cats, but my kid has this same problem with her cat, who's a grumpy old man. Sometimes, for no apparent reason, he'll just poop somewhere that isn't the litter box, and he's non-discriminatory. Doesn't matter if it's carpet, tile, hardwood, it's all the same to him.

He will protest-poop outside the litter box when it's not clean enough for his liking too. But as he's gotten older and more senile, sometimes all it takes is one turd in there, or one clump of pee litter, for him to decide that.

From what I've seen, cats are just basically assholes, no matter their age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

He's only about 5.

• Locked thread