Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Looks like homeboy's got 99 problems, but a 51UT is one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kimbo305 posted:

This baggie dropped out of one of the folders in the documentation box. Seller thinks it might be starter motor brushes, but isn't sure. Anyone?:

Definitely brushes for something. Starter motor or alternator, I guess. Unless it's got a generator, but it really shouldn't.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kimbo305 posted:

The choke was probably 1/4 out after 15 min of driving after parking for 30 min. Is it correct to try to be "analog" that way?

Depends on the car. If it was driving better with it slightly on instead of all the way off, then yeah it's correct.

My choke experience across various motors has ranged from "fine tune the choke position as I drive for the first 10-15 mins until the thermostat opens up" to "use the choke just to get it started, then turn it off once it's able to idle on its own" to "lol choke? just hit the accelerator pump and crank it"

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

DogonCrook posted:

Apparently the msd 6al and some old models can have runon issues and some alts do to. I hadnt heard the term runon since i was a kid though now that i think about it and i had totally forgotten it was a thing. They really didnt give a gently caress in the 70's, i mean the laws thay govern electricity were well known by then but they didnt give drat about fuses and diodes and building proper ciruits and whatnot. Id pull the wire to make sure its not spark causing it.

Huh. I've had what I thought was occasional dieseling, across a couple different motors in the same car, without an apparent temperature dependence, and I do use a 6al... I wonder if that's what's up. Good to know. In fact, I think the distributor, ignition box, and fuel pump are the only shared components between the two.

• Locked thread