Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oh man, driving that in the SUV-and-pickup infested USA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

I pulled up a good 8ft behind a new Camaro convertible, and I could neither see the rearview mirror over the bumper, nor the side mirror around the fender.
My eye level is just above the top of many cars' tires.
Hah, Cappo's the same, you get used to it (sort of). Being around the wheels of artics on motorways always has a background radiation level of :ohdear:.

You've got like twice the power in almost the same weight, too.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

I checked and saw that the Elan used either a bag or a bottle, depending on model. Tudor is a major British supplier?
Yes, it's a common brand for that era. You see them on old Fords a fair bit.

The thing about Lotus and other small British companies is that drat near all the little bullshit components comes from somewhere else, it's just a case of knowing where.

Looks like it has a remote servo on the brakes, is that standard fit?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

You Am I posted:

Jaguar from the early 60s to I think the early 2000s used the drive axle as a top link in their rear suspension. It seemed to handle a V12 load in a big boat pretty well.
He means the axial load through the driveshaft when acting as a suspension arm, rather than the rotational drive load.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

Now a Europa backbone in the same orientation, but with drive direction and suspension reversed:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Dear Lord even for Chapman that chassis.......!
Do you want to :spergin: about the forward pivot of the lower rear trailing arms, or shall I?

You Am I posted:

I understand, thus why I also added the weight of Jags of that era.
I think we're talking at cross purposes. You're mentioning the Jaguar's in reference to whether CV joints would work for such a suspension, but the Jaguars aren't CV joints in that suspension design.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's a bit of a rubbish :spergin: TBH, but just something that has really annoyed me since I heard about it due to being interested in DeLoreans.

They used a fairly small diameter (7/16") bolt in single shear into a metalastic bushing in the chassis as the pivot. The bolt itself is unnumbered, but see the areas of components 1, 2, 3 in this image:

It's not actually that bad in such a light car, but they used a very similar design in the Esprit, and then in the DeLorean, so you're getting heavier there, which probably contributes to why they seem to have a reputation for bending/breaking on those.

People seem to sometimes "solve" this by going overkill on the bolt material, but really, it's a problem that shouldn't have existed. They could have made a bracket with the bush axial onto the front end of the trailing arm and a big flanged nut/washer on it, or they could have engineered a small bracket to make it a double-shear mount and had the bushing in the end of the trailing arm. Hell, for the latter, they could probably have bought in bolt-on leaf spring cast mounting hangers from a light commercial to do the job easily.

But instead they hung it out there in the breeze on that 7/16" bolt and it's just wrong to me, and something that would cost very little (in cash or added weight) to get more "right", especially when making heavier vehicles. I'm not normally one to get too worked up about the whole "single shear is baaaaad, man", because it's often still nailed together well enough to be a moot point, but, well, I look at that example and I don't bloody like it.

You'll notice that on both the replacement chasis you've pictured, it's one "feature" that's straight out the window.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jun 24, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

Would that potentially place more stress on the parts of the plate where the bracket is bolted in? Compared to the (maybe) wider spaced bolts around the bushing?
I'm only excusing the shear design insofar as I'm trusting it to keep me alive.
Not really, if you look, the bushing is attached with 2 bolts to the chassis, so any issues of it ripping out the mounting would be present with the current design. You could make the bracket attach how you wished if custom designed, and if buying in somethint like a bolt-on leaf spring mount bracket, the spacing of the mounting holes of the bracket probably aren't any closer than the bushing they used.

This is the kind of bracket I mean, this is a folded/stamped one from a Ford F150 I believe:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

A more detailed fold-out Special brochure, shot in Amsterdam:

That guy in the aviators definitely has that 70s panache.
Some interesting tidbits:
- I mistated the fuel tank -- it's only 12.5gal
- it has car has different left and right turning circles. hmmm, due to rack geometry? I definitely felt the 2.3 turns lock to lock.
- the insane details about test day weather conditions and brake force and fade
It looks like they pulled the test numbers from Motor magazine's testing - I don't know about US publications, but UK magazines of the time were very :awesome: about stuff like that. I can't find that specific test, but there's a contemporary one from Autocar of the 4 speed version that's similarly detailed.

I kind of miss that level of detail in magazines and brochures, some stuff about modern cars is bloody hard work to find out (e.g. ok, it's got AWD. How exactly is it set up/how does it work?)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Not sure they look like starter ones, seem very lightweight, like they're from a power tool or something.

If car related, it's possible they could be for something like the heater fan or wiper motor too?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fo3 posted:

I don't even know how zenith/strombergs or su type carbs even do chokes. Those types of carbs I never worked on, does anyone know?
Right.

An SU carb still has a "normal" throttle butterfly, and still admits fuel into the carb through a jet, the same fundamental mechanics of any other carb.

The big difference is that the jet on an SU is adjustable, it's basically a bigger hole with a tapered needle poking into it - pull the needle out, the jet effectively gets bigger.

The dashpot is a sealed chamber, containing a piston connected to a cylinder that pokes out into the main bore of the carb, restricting it. There are tubes connecting either side of the chamber above and below the piston the the carb bore on either side of this restriction. The throttle butterfly is downstream of this.

If you open the throttle, the low pressure area behind the restriction also creates a low pressure above the piston in the chamber. This is relative to the pressure below it being linked to atmosphere. So the piston moves up, taking the cylinder that pokes into the bore with it, effectively enlarging it.

The oil-damping system in the dashpot is "one way" - it damps the piston coming up, but allows it to drop straight down when you close the throttle.

So by the above, you've got a variable-size carb, in effect.

Now, the aforementioned tapered needle that restricts the jet. That's attached to the bottom of the "restricting" cylinder, so it moves up with it, increasing the jet size as your carb gets "bigger".

There is also a mechanism to lower the jet itself away from the needle on throttle openings, so you get that throttle-opening enrichment you need.

The "choke" doesn't really deserve that name, as it doesn't work by restricting airflow, it artificially does the "jet drop" function to give a larger jet for the cold start enrichment.

BloodBag posted:

Wasn't it the original mini that had the dashpot in the carbs share oil with the engine so if you'd change weights the carb response would change?
You use engine oil in them, but it's not connected to the engine's oil system.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I bet anyone with a basic namebadge engraver could replicate the "proper" badges.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

All that rust has to be great for the lawn. :v:

Glad that you are representing the Europa lifestyle.
That's the good thing about structural plywood, no rust!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

Somebody linked the top 10 car animes in another thread, and turns out one of the "dumb cars" the cops drive in exDriver is a Europa. I guess I can finally bump that up on my to-watch list.
Yeah, it's stupid, but fun enough.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I think the solenoids on SUs operate slightly differently, cutting off the air bleed into the float chamber to stop the venturi effect being able to draw fuel through. Might not be correct on that, mind.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Haha, they have an MX5 in Ex-Driver too.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Larrymer posted:

I'd buy that rap album.
I'm getting a real MCM 2Sexy vibe.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

I don't get why they decided to make the car so true to life, but I can definitely appreciate it.
When the creators are fanboys of something, anime and manga really gets the details right. It's basically an opportunity to :spergin: about stuff.

It's similar, for example, if you watch Shin Godzilla: They specifically label on screen all the military kit and trains that appear. The Japanese have elevated being shamelessly nerdy about this stuff to an art form. Guns are another thing where you'll find an incongruous level of detail being put in.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ah well, that's a shame.

Will you look at another interesting toy once you're settled into the new place, and maybe able to scope out storage somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

It's gotta be the import and shipping process that poses a barrier. Seems to be one shop on BaT that sell Italian cars and scooters in Italy, and I have to assume a lot of the buyers are outside but able to make the purchase a reasonable deal despite the import.
It's apparently more than a little convoluted getting a car purchased and shipped out of Italy, their system really isn't geared up for the idea of a non-Italian buying something.

• Locked thread