Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I have a soft spot for the smiths gauges. My 83 honda accord def had a in cabin trunk release latch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I have a zenith/stromberg in my MGB that looks identical to yours with the oil in the dash pot. It has a manual choke too. Check the oil weekly and fill as needed. Your needle valve is down in there too and you need a special tool to adjust it (lean or enrichen). Also, I strongly recomend that you get a spare one of these. http://www.englishparts.com/product...kwd=&origin=pla If that fails you are dead in the water (and they do fail), throw it in the glove box and forget about it. You can replace it with just a philips screwdriver.
I really hate stromberg carbs. So much.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I have filled a lot of oil in stomberg carbs. Pretty much all i ever did was fill he cap of the quart oil bottle up and pour it in to around the bottom of the threads where the dashpot plunger screws in. Push the plunger back down slowly and wipe off any excess with a cloth.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

kimbo305 posted:

A week ago, I would have cast doubt on the carbs being that big a stranding headache, but now that attitude is slightly checked.

Eh, Its british cars. I keep enough tools and spare parts in the trunk that I could fix drat near any problem on the side of the road. Might want to check the gap on your points (correct gap and clean) if you are having hard starting, easier than pulling apart the carb. I keep a spare set of points and condenser in the trunk as well, because british cars.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

kimbo305 posted:

I'll try to check it out this weekend.
While we're on the ignition front, I've noted a few times, once at least for a couple of seconds, that the motor keeps sparking and running after I key off the car. Coil/ignition the culprit?

Dieseling. Up your octane. What are you using now? You have a relatively high compression engine. And the higher the octane the less likely for the fuel to detonate under compression alone (It will do this with no spark). Up your octane and you should be fine.

Applesnots fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 26, 2017

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Before you start pulling poo poo apart, really, no poo poo, try a higher octane (That is what it is literary made for). I have worked with these carbs and I have worked with high compression engines. Always start with the easy fix first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

kimbo305 posted:

Better link me!
You have the diaphragm already.

• Locked thread