Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

kimbo305 posted:

Yes, the drive axle is also the top link in a trailing arm setup. A CV joint wouldn't be able to handle that kind of shear load?
Jaguar from the early 60s to I think the early 2000s used the drive axle as a top link in their rear suspension. It seemed to handle a V12 load in a big boat pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

InitialDave posted:

He means the axial load through the driveshaft when acting as a suspension arm, rather than the rotational drive load.

I understand, thus why I also added the weight of Jags of that era.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

InitialDave posted:

I think we're talking at cross purposes. You're mentioning the Jaguar's in reference to whether CV joints would work for such a suspension, but the Jaguars aren't CV joints in that suspension design.
Ah, my bad

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

glyph posted:

AH! Here's the europa thread.

That's a wild engine setup. Loving that the alternator (generator?) is turned by the intake cam. I'm trying to think here- is there an accessory belt on the firewall side? Probably not, right? No PS, AC...

There would be one for the water pump.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

My first two cars had manual chokes. I used to use full choke at the start, then slowly push it in as the motor warmed up, just leaving it on the edge of almost stalling at idle.

• Locked thread