Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Hey guys, I'm retarded and also could use some money. I have free electricity where I am. How should I capitalize on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Tabletops posted:

Hey guys, I'm retarded and also could use some money. I have free electricity where I am. How should I capitalize on this?

If only there was a post detailing exactly what you need to do, in simple steps, somewhere in this thread, perhaps near the beginning of it?

But seriously don't buy new hardware just to mine because it'll take you half a year to break even which is stupid long.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Tabletops posted:

Thats kind of the boat im in but this three step guide im using has me making $7.000 a day ! Paypal me $7 and ill tell you how

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

If only there was a post detailing exactly what you need to do, in simple steps, somewhere in this thread, perhaps near the beginning of it?

But seriously don't buy new hardware just to mine because it'll take you half a year to break even which is stupid long.

Sorry, should have phrased that differently. That was my question really. Nicehashs calculator says some mining computer (antminer?) Would pay itself off in 60 days or so, and its roughly 1k. Wasn't sure if those ki d of setups would be worth it given 60 days for a room seems decent.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
If mining stays as profitable as it is right now you could pay hardware off in only like a couple months but there's a good chance it won't, it's basically gambling.

It helps of you already have a computer you can put a card in, building an entire new rig for mining would definitely be a risky investment as that would take longer to pay off.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 24, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
It may also take 2 months to get the ant miner after you pay for it. The last bubble like this people got delivered worthless hardware after it popped.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Let me be the voice of reason here. Years ago goons laughed off buttcoin as a moronic idea, perhaps the stupidest thing in the universe and said it would fail. Yet here we are. Do what you feel is right.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Risky Bisquick posted:

Let me be the voice of reason here. Years ago goons laughed off buttcoin as a moronic idea, perhaps the stupidest thing in the universe and said it would fail. Yet here we are. Do what you feel is right.

The eternal buttcoin dilemma.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Risky Bisquick posted:

Its still a moronic idea that will fail, its just one you might be able to take advantage of. At the moment, you might be able to scrape a few bucks off of the stupidity of ultra nerds and the business needs of small time drug dealers and smugglers in SE Asia. That profitability likely wont last long... then again maybe it will! Somehow the cryptocurrency comedy show keeps rolling on, never doubt the stupidity in the world etc etc.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Reminder: If you invest any sort of startup capital of your own into cryptocurrency whatsoever you are a moron and will be mocked as such.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Kazinsal posted:

Reminder: If you invest any sort of startup capital of your own into cryptocurrency whatsoever you are a moron and will be mocked as such.

how do i invest other peoples capital into my cryptomining operations

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Tabletops posted:

With this one weird trick, paypal me $7 to find out how

e: gently caress someone already made that joke on this page

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 24, 2017

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Can someone explain why some miners heat up the GPU more than others? For example:

EWBF: 100% usage, tops out at 72c.
Claymore Dual Sia: 92%, tops out at 78c.

Less GPU usage but more heat generated? Same fan curve, undervolt, etc.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
Yeah please do not buy any hardware for mining hoping to pay it off, that is absurdly insanely risky. Mining free money with the hardware that you already own for gaming or for whatever is smart because if the whole thing collapses tomorrow you've lost nothing, buying hardware for mining purposes is very stupid

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
EWBF fails to benchmark my 1070, is there something weird you need to do to mine with it?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Otakufag posted:

EWBF fails to benchmark my 1070, is there something weird you need to do to mine with it?

precise mode, or maybe dial back your OC/increase power limit

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Risky Bisquick posted:

Yes, if only you listened to the bright captains of industry of Bitcoin and invested heavily 4 years ago on the largest exchange, Mt Gox. Why, think about what those coins would be worth!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tabletops posted:

Tabletops posted:

I have free electricity where I am.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Im like $500 in guys but im up $8

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so you are 492 down? great job

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Account for hardware resale and depreciation and you're right. You only need to get halfway to break even Imo.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Just out of curiosity, how much electricity does it use relative to sitting here posting on the forums, or goofing around in Overwatch or something?

The only halfway reasonable offers on GPUs are being snapped up so hard I feel like I need to pay too much for one and mine with it until I've reach equilibrium with how much I was willing to spend. I told myself I did the right thing here but the Steam sale is on and I want to get some games happening here.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Craptacular! posted:

Just out of curiosity, how much electricity does it use relative to sitting here posting on the forums, or goofing around in Overwatch or something?

The only halfway reasonable offers on GPUs are being snapped up so hard I feel like I need to pay too much for one and mine with it until I've reach equilibrium with how much I was willing to spend. I told myself I did the right thing here but the Steam sale is on and I want to get some games happening here.
Electricity costs vary a LOT depending where you live and are worth considering. Where I live it is literally a few bucks a month to run my GPU at full tilt 24/7. I have some of the cheapest power in north america and elsewhere in NA it could be up to 4x as expensive.

If you go here https://www.nicehash.com/?p=calc
You can choose your GPU, change the wattage if you know you've set up an overclock that uses more power, enter your electricity cost from your electricity bill and see what it would cost you per day/month to run your GPU all the time.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
My electricity is pretty expensive, my point is my computer idles through much of the day anyhow because even without games I can't stop making GBS threads up threads with bad posts on this forum. Does mining use substantially more?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Everyone's PC will be different, but mine uses about 50 watts while mostly idle looking at web pages and about 250 watts while mining.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Your video card barely does any work for standard web browsing, watching videos, etc, and just short of zero while idle. Mining uses 100% of the cards power. It's going to add 150-250w of load compared to non-gaming tasks.

How much power the rest of your computer is using will vary on processor, fans, hdds, etc, but that number will not change a significant amount while mining.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Fauxtool posted:

so you are 492 down? great job

stop hating, its actually 490 now

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
MINING AT $4.10 A DAY, IMMA MAKE TENS OF DOLLARS

THIS IS loving LIVING, BOYS

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

tehinternet posted:

MINING AT $4.10 A DAY, IMMA MAKE TENS OF DOLLARS

THIS IS loving LIVING, BOYS

i live my life 3 tenths of a cent/minute at a time

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

im gonna poo poo on buttmining even if it makes me a millionaire

but why didnt I start sooner

:sigh:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I'll actually be making enough pay rent after my PCI-E risers come in the mail, but that's only because I owned a dumb amount of hardware before I ever started mining.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

MaxxBot posted:

I'll actually be making enough pay rent after my PCI-E risers come in the mail, but that's only because I owned a dumb amount of hardware before I ever started mining.

If the bubble pops in three weeks I'm blaming you.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cinara posted:

Your video card barely does any work for standard web browsing, watching videos, etc, and just short of zero while idle. Mining uses 100% of the cards power. It's going to add 150-250w of load compared to non-gaming tasks.

How much power the rest of your computer is using will vary on processor, fans, hdds, etc, but that number will not change a significant amount while mining.

Overall mining will draw significantly less power than running a demanding game since unlike games the CPU is running mostly idle, especially if you also undervolt the card and turn off the monitor.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tabletops posted:

Advertise that you are selling mining time at a premier mining facility, then just give them cryptocurrency that you buy on an exchange with 90% of the revenue and pocket the rest. Much simpler than mining

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

dumb question but if I try to buy a game on steam with bitcoin, it talks about supplementing the base cost with an additional fee (tip?), and I understand that upping the fee makes the transaction go thru faster? how the heck does that work

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

shrike82 posted:

dumb question but if I try to buy a game on steam with bitcoin, it talks about supplementing the base cost with an additional fee (tip?), and I understand that upping the fee makes the transaction go thru faster? how the heck does that work

It is the transaction fee and since bitcoin is decentralized there is no way to know for sure how high it needs to be to get your transaction to go through. This website gives you an estimate https://bitcoinfees.21.co

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Thanks for that. Based on "For the median transaction size of 226 bytes, this results in a fee of 81,360 satoshis", am I right in saying that I'd need to "tip" 2 bucks and change to get my transaction thru a < 35 minute time window.

lol

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

shrike82 posted:

Thanks for that. Based on "For the median transaction size of 226 bytes, this results in a fee of 81,360 satoshis", am I right in saying that I'd need to "tip" 2 bucks and change to get my transaction thru a < 35 minute time window.

lol

Maybe!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone else noticed their mBTC/day going down, despite still processing the same number of sols/s and the like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

PerrineClostermann posted:

Has anyone else noticed their mBTC/day going down, despite still processing the same number of sols/s and the like?
Yes, that's how a Red Queen's Race works.

• Locked thread