Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

He'll be making the coins anyway whether you take his fiat or not!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

What OS gets the best hash rates? Or is that a dumb question and do you just go bare metal.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

:lol: Wait is it actually possible to make money out of mining crypto currencies? Remember to subtract energy costs, exchange fees, getting cyber-robbed and/or completely scammed when you do your math.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Lockback posted:

There was/is a brief window because Bitcoin bubbled (it is not possible to make money home-mining bitcoin), and it caused Etherium and other coins to bubble as well and suddenly you had GPU-friendly algorithms that had hash difficulties that were pretty reasonable on a handful of GPUs. Combine that with that fact that there are a few applications that make mining easy and a few people could make some modest profit after costs.

Djeser posted:

For a few weeks due to various economic bubbles it's been possible to make money on GPU mining altcoins but it sounds like the difficulty adjustments are coming.

How much did ya'll make?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Yeah but I want actual real-world ROI for the significant outlays being made, either on energy and/or hardware and/or fees.

Edit: gimme some recent anecdotals.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

How much did you invest for that gain?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

So if I understand this right ya'll have expended a not-insignificant amount of time to earn less in a week than you'd usually get for an hour of work at min wage?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

But how many milk crates do you need to add to keep up with difficulty increases? How many suburban areas even have home milk delivery? I'm saying milk crates aren't as easy to steal as they once were so that's gotta be an overhead to costs that'll dent your profits.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

You buy electricity you dinguses. Unless you live with your parents then they are going to be annoyed that you're increasing the power bill whilst squirreling away fantasy currency which has an effective value equivalent to one tenth of the cost of the power bill.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

B-Mac posted:

I can't tell if your just dense or trolling.

First one, then the other, but now the first one. Yeah, I'm dense for questioning the infinitesimally small ROI for an activity that has a non-zero startup cost for investing effort in something that follows the law of diminishing returns and will inevitably (And rapidly) end up with negative returns.

Also the end product is a currency that may as well be worthless. And at some point you'll either be scammed and/or robbed because that literally comes with the territory.

I don't care if you have fun whilst doing all of that, just don't pretend that you're not pissing in the wind.

Edit:

PerrineClostermann posted:

You might want the GBS thread my friend

:lol:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

No one in this thread is making anything beyond a fuckin pittance. Good job ya'll.

Edit: forgot to mention deprecation of hardware which no one seems to be accounting for, an oversight that's exacerbated by running your poo poo to within an inch of it's life for its life. That drops you to the bottom of those MTBF curves manufacturers release.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 26, 2017

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

It's not free. People just see promises of free money and leave their reasoning at the door.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

You've spent more time furiously posting dumb things in this thread than it took me to setup a thing that made me some money while I was sleeping, that I already spent.

You really should take a look at your reasoning tbh.

I should evaluate my reasoning that there's no such thing as a free lunch and that for the situation being discussed you'll get at most a Keurig pod of tartars sauce for an entire weeks worth of effort? Nope sounds solid to me. I'm not saying that you won't make "some" money but it will be gently caress all and eventually with difficulty increases you will end up making nothing.

Just gony requote myself:

cheese-cube posted:

I don't care if you have fun whilst doing all of that, just don't pretend that you're not pissing in the wind.

For the record, I'm sitting at home drinking and posting on the internet because it's funny. If I was doing the same but with buttcoins I'd probably already be asleep.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Lockback posted:

Please justify your posting in this thread while taking into account opportunity cost and electricity/hardware depreciation of the machine you are posting with.

:lol:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Your cherry-picking of my arguments does nothing to invalidate them. Also you can't kill me, I'm already dead.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

xthetenth posted:

Your arguments already invalidate themselves. This is just a running commentary for my own amusement.

lol nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Prescription Combs posted:

If you want to make money seriously start your own landscaping company. They rake in money. :v:

motherfuckerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Locked thread