Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

It's all happening again. Haha, I can't believe it. Bring on the milk crates and start drying out those berries!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Ooh now THAT would be glorious. Cheap 1080tis for all.
Cheap damaged 1080s with a severely reduced lifespan and no warranty.

Never trust an ether huffer.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Man, I really wish someone was able to do a big retrospective on how well the different video cards held up to the constant 24/7 load placed on them by people mining buttcoins. In theory as long as the various components are kept below the 80% max temp rating, they should last years and years, but with how hot spots work, and how close to that level the cards are out of the box, who knows what odd failure cases people will see on those used cards.
A few vendors released dedicated crypto mining cards lately and they have a warranty only 180 days long

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

This historical re-enactment is pretty drat good, but we're still missing someone trying to sell fruit dried with the power of GPUs and also someone getting permanent brain damage by sleeping in the same room as their unventilated GPU farm. Please do the needful

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

I'm curious, how much power is Ethereum using now and what is its transaction rate? Is it as terrible as bitcoin where the difficulty level is basically the inefficiency rate or does it scale?

Just for reference, last time I looked bitcoin was estimated at 400 megawatts operating power for a NES-like 4-10 transactions per second. If run by coal-fired power plants that would be 53KG of coal burned per second, with each transaction optimistically swallowing up 5KG of coal.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Junior Jr. posted:

It's not like ASIC miners will get me anywhere, I already learned the hard way those things are just useless and only consume more power.
???

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

to the moon

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

so are the suicide hotlines being posted on /r/ethereum yet

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

probability that right now someone is sitting in a warehouse crying into 1070 boxes while they consider how to explain to their wife why their life savings have disappeared: 100%

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

seems like an apples to oranges comparison when one option isn't even showing whole frames. overwriting a frame mid-transmission is obviously faster than waiting for it to finish being displayed.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

In a few weeks I'll have to... pay for my burrito again 😱😭
:negative:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Green Gloves posted:

I bought about 5 RX 580s from Newegg in the past week or so.
Why did you do that? :thunk:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Cryptocurrency: the prisoner's dilemma except all participants have the betray button taped down with autofire enabled

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Well, there is the moral cost that you're being paid to verify the transactions of extortionists, con artists and drug dealers

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Maybe bitcoiners were on to something when they were going on about being your own bank... :thunk:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

I hear North Korea has started a large scale Bitcoin mining operation.
They just wanted to be part of something bigger than themselves (in total power consumption)

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Cryptocurrencies are now using several small countries' worth of electricity to create magic beans.

Or more accurately, cargo-culting a system used to launder money out of China and bypass its currency controls. lol

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Years ago on some bitcoin forum or other, a guy called Pirateat40 ran a huge ponzi scheme. At the time he had accumulated almost 7% of all bitcoins in circulation; big enough to attract major attention. This earned him a wire fraud conviction and an 18 month prison sentence.

On the forum where he was reeling in his fish there was another person staunchly defending Pirate, having bought into his scam, and also running their own similar scheme. This person, Raphael Nicolle, is the founder of Bitfinix. :)

Spatial fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 3, 2017

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

quote != edit

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Bitcoin has dropped 25% in the last week lol.

Wasn't there someone in here who bought in at 5000? Hope they were just kidding.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

28% down :eyepop:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Well, 4970 is close enough...

Maybe I read that on the reddit while laugh-trawling though. There are some posts in there right now lamenting buying in at 4.2K.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Dropped another 10% since I last looked yesterday. :eyepop:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

anti-fragile (tm)

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Wasn't one of the Nicehash guys also a known scammer/criminal or am I misremembering

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Risky Bisquick posted:

Perhaps that is common sense but I'd hope no one is giving out their primary bank account information to exchanges.
That's some hope

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Alpha Mayo posted:

Probably fine.
Constant high temperature operation significantly reduces expected hardware lifetime

e: A bit of trivia: This is part of how the MBTF is established. Silicon wearout is accelerated by temperature by a known amount which allows you to extrapolate the failure rate at a lower temperature, but in drastically less time, so you don't have to wait for years to release a product

Spatial fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 13, 2018

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

DrDork posted:

Yeah, BTC held on Coinbase is absolutely not insured, and there is literally no reason to ever have USD held on Coinbase: if you ever have it, transfer it to a real bank.

Though I don't know about you, but I'm reeeeeeeeeeeeeal hesitant to give Coinbase any of my bank info, especially since it straight up asks you for your login/pw. At least the Paypal fee is only 2.5%.
What. For your bank account? Why?

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

number go up. please

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

glad i got my wish for milkcrate production to resume. one of the best lols to be had in the bitcoin world

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

DrDork posted:

It makes sense if you think of it as Recovery Of Investment instead of Return On Investment, and further justify it by noting it's another example of where buttcoiners have misunderstood fundamental economic principles and functions.
This never stopped being true:

100% pure profit!!

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Alpha Mayo posted:

my account
:siren: poop touched! :siren:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

For the full Butterfly Labs experience, they need to delay sending them until they've increased the difficulty enough that their customers can never profit from them. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Well, you're right.

Although there's an implied [so I can sell] after it

• Locked thread