Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a few questions

my 1070 made me $45 profit last week. Overclocking the memory on it gave me a free 20% and I lowered the power target to 80%. How do i cash out with coinbase?

I have been leaving on a 7970 at my office where power is paid by the building management and it makes maybe $3 a day which if i was paying for power in that city would be like a 1.70 profit. Super not worth it, dont do it

I am upgrading to a 1080ti so I can game at 4k, what kind of $ can i expect at the current rates?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so cashing out on coinbase at least for people in the US is stupid simple.

I linked my online banking and sold at the market rate. It took about 10s to set up and 2s to sell it. The deposit wont clear for a week but thats lightning fast when bitcoin is involved

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
in the OP it talks about making the different algorithms not max out the gpu so you can still use the computer.
It covers the ccminer and excavator ones but not the DaggerHashimoto (ethminer) which is what my 1070 seems to spend the most time mining. How do i make that less system intensive?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The launch parameters are super helpful. I can even still do some light gaming like darkest dungeon. I just unchecked the ethminer since the other ones are nearly as profitable and being able to use my computer is more important than a few extra cents per day

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you buy games you can never play them because you are busy mining. If you buy a second rig capable of gaming, that means it could mine too. Help I'm trapped in a loop and my room is really warm

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you should probably throw out your phone and disconnect from the internet too if you want to be really safe. Its a risk but so is going outside

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MaxxBot posted:

Anyone have experience with powered PCI-E risers? I'm trying to find a reputable brand as I hear that a lot of them have QC issues.

I also would like to know what makes one good and which ones to buy. Im building a new gaming PC and I plan on tossing 2-3 of my older cards into my old pc and I want to do it right without burning down my home with a 4 year old mobo

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got a minor boost, like 7% with a 1070. Any special settings?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghostlight posted:

has anyone said buttcoin yet?

Yeah in the other 2 threads, a lot

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is that just for the EWFB or for the claymore too? Are you setting it to only mine 1 pool or leaving it free to move around?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so on something like this the idea is to take the 6pin from the PSU and plug it directly into the pci-e riser?
https://www.amazon.com/Onvian-Minin...words=pci+riser

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

eames posted:

Today I learned that some people are margin trading buttcoins and their fantasy alternatives. :ughh:

A risky trading method mixed with an extremely volatile item. What could go wrong?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
does your bitcoin address change after a deposit? I noticed that my address on coinbase is different from the address on the computer I havent touched for a week at work. I know for a fact that my work and home pcs were using the same address at one point because I could check my stats on nicehash and it showed 2 workers. About the time I got my first deposit "check my stats online" on the nicehash miner would take me to a different address being mined into on my work pc compared to the home pc.

Its definitely the address I was paid at last week, but its not the same address that shows on my coinbase account. When i installed the dual mining fork I copy pasted the address from coinbase which is now somehow different from the one that I was paid at last week

The other thing I can think of is that maybe coinbase gives you a new address if you cash out completely?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 22, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fruit Chewy posted:

I think in general you shouldn't be mining into coinbase deposit addresses but rather into a personal wallet which you can later send poo poo to coinbase/etc from if you so desire.

where do i get a personal wallet not part of an exchange or marketplace?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
4.50 is normal on a 1070. $6-7 was last week. Its going to keep going down because bitcoin is inherently bad and dumb. Make sure you stop before your electricity costs are higher than your mining profit.

I am getting about 5.50 with overclocked memory on my 1070 and I configured the dual mining fork posted earlier to average 1.85 mBTC/day. Sometimes it spikes to $6.00

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 22, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

am i supposed to run it without benchmarking it? the benchmark wouldn't ever validate

close your browser and any open windows first. Did you try running in precise mode? That worked for me when it wouldnt bench properly

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
since you seem to be so good at acquiring cards, can you get me a 580 8gb for personal use? I want one for an actual build but heck no to the prices online. I dont mind paying some to make it worth your while

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
do you mean when you first load the program and it tries to update? You can download the updates directly from github

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i bought some games too, but I cashed my bitcoin out into real US dollars and spent those on steam.

Bitcoin, wave of the future!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
post your sources please (i hope)

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you want to mine your own pools do that with software made for mining, nicehash isnt that

Actual mining tools arent much harder to set up but you run the very real risk of mining an unprofitable coin/pool

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 23, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Otakufag posted:

EWBF fails to benchmark my 1070, is there something weird you need to do to mine with it?

precise mode, or maybe dial back your OC/increase power limit

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so you are 492 down? great job

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can you imagine being one of those guys that spent 10k on new equipment seeing that graph? Who am i kidding they wouldnt understand it and are totally oblivious to the 100% guaranteed near future insolvency of their operation

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ignoring statistics and not planning for likely future outcomes deserves ridicule not pity. Even buying 580s at retail price to mine with is a poor idea when you get more profit flipping them compared to what you would get mining for a month.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jun 24, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
all the mining hardware guys do that where they "test" the customer's stuff for a month and take the bulk of the profitable mining time.

Buttcoiners are generally pieces of poo poo who will try and cheat you at every chance because cutthroat business and no chargebacks. When it inevitably happens to them the whining is amazing.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
$300 profit after a year, LOLOLOL

Its not even a gamble. He will barely break even and thats not even factoring in any new GPUs being released in the next year raising the difficulty even faster.

He still went for 1060s when the profit on 1070s is so much higher, god what a poor idiot

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 24, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sentiment is that gaming hardware burns out faster but experience shows that its overbuilt to take the stress and lasts way longer

problems like the crap batch of transistors/caps affected all hardware not just gaming.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 25, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im going to list it as used and leave it at that because its true. If they ask what it was used for I will tell them that I mined on it and tell them about the warranty.

Its not thrashed half to death either. If its fully capable of running at 100% for days at a time its actually in very good condition.

Mining doesnt void the warranty so I have never had to lie about its use when doing an RMA

It sounds like you should be posting in the GBS thread

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 25, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what are the launch parameters to change intensity on ethminer and is --intensity 17 an okay setting on ewbf like the others?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 25, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dont forget to wipe your balls on the cards before you wrap

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its the users submitted to high heat and poor ventilation not as much the GPUs

I would be perfectly happy buying a dual fan 1060/1070/580 used for bitcoin because it would have been underclocked and run relatively cool to a 290 blower. Buy a company like MSI so its still under warranty and i dont see any downside.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 25, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

QuarkJets posted:

We're talking about the risks of buying used mining hardware, pointing out that undercooled and overused cards have shorter lives seems pretty important to me when weighing the pros/cons of this route. You're getting a cheaper video card with some increased risk of early failure

dual fan GPUs being used to mine these days are not the same TDP as the blower 290s of the last mining bubble. Nobody is talking about buying the worn out AMD cards from back then. These cards are in okay shape and probably only 9 months old at worst

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 25, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
as the people using the 1080tis for mining are here, im 100% confident we will have a reasonable idea of their reliability after mining. If they start going bad we will know not to buy them used.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im running mine in a low noise, not optimized for airflow case. If it doesnt burn out here it wont in the open air milk crate in the picture. Dont buy if it doesnt have a warranty, its very simple.

I know every buttcoiner GPU has been abused, I also have confidence they can take the abuse and if they cant I have the warranty

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 25, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

QuarkJets posted:

Warranties don't transfer. That's the crux of the problem; if you buy a mining card used then you do not have a warranty, and if the card dies after you receive it then you're SOL.

warranties do transfer when you buy a card with a transferable warranty like those by EVGA. MSI cards have them and same with if you order directly from nvidia. You dont actually need to transfer anything as the warranty is attached to the serial not the buyer . Edit* ASUS and Gigabyte warranties also follow the serial. None of them require registration when first purchased except EVGA as far as i can tell.
https://www.evga.com/articles/00671/

So i guess you are wrong and it can actually be totally safe to buy a used card from a buttcoiner. I know you have already made up your mind and your heels are well dug in. Its okay, more used 1070s for us

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jun 25, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I disagree considering none of us advocate hoarding but rather cashing out immediately and never buying new hardware for the express purpose of mining.

Its more like TCC threads where they talk about they doing drugs but "responsibly". "I'm not like those addicts" Is later found heat stroke dead in car too high to unlock the door and live

Thats how im going out, heat stroked under a pile of GPUs

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can't he just read the serial? Most of my cards have the model next to the serial

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe their moms co-signed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah but imagine how much you would make with 100 1070s. Nevermind the amount of time it takes to break even, You would be making money just sitting around. Passive income man, no constant maintenance or astronomical power bill.

• Locked thread