Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
My 1080ti apparently does around $10/day on nicehash with a super modest OC. I've got a huge aftermarket heatsink (accelero xtreme iii) coming in because I'm not happy with the load noise while gaming of the ACX cooler so maybe with that monstrosity I'll actually feel comfortable letting it mine like 18 hours a day that I'm not using it.

Also I've been flipping 580s for like a week now and you would be goddamn shocked how little money you make after all those ebay/paypal/shipping fees even when you're selling $250 cards for $475.

Edit: ALSO I've been running this random modified version of nicehash because it added dual mining eth+sia for nvidia cards (which isn't worth doing on my card it turns out) but it also happened to add 'ewbf' - another equihash miner - which is somehow like 15% faster than excavator on my card. Worth looking into if you're doing majority equihash on an nvidia card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Whitest Russian posted:

Could you mine in a VM to eliminate the security concerns? Or would that slow your bitgainz too much?

I'm sure you could if you actually passed the pci-e device into it.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Whitest Russian posted:

Is there a way to tell Nicehash not to mine unless the return is above a certain amount?

It's like right at the top of the main gui options.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Fauxtool posted:

does your bitcoin address change after a deposit? I noticed that my address on coinbase is different from the address on the computer I havent touched for a week at work. I know for a fact that my work and home pcs were using the same address at one point because I could check my stats on nicehash and it showed 2 workers. About the time I got my first deposit "check my stats online" on the nicehash miner would take me to a different address being mined into on my work pc compared to the home pc.

Its definitely the address I was paid at last week, but its not the same address that shows on my coinbase account. When i installed the dual mining fork I copy pasted the address from coinbase which is now somehow different from the one that I was paid at last week

The other thing I can think of is that maybe coinbase gives you a new address if you cash out completely?

I think in general you shouldn't be mining into coinbase deposit addresses but rather into a personal wallet which you can later send poo poo to coinbase/etc from if you so desire.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Otakufag posted:

Yes, this. I'm afraid of destroying my 1070 but want to mine faster, is it recommended to overclock the memory or something? What about better mining sources/nicehash settings specifically for this card?

Depends on the algorithm but a lot of them do scale really heavily on memory clock. I can push a 1080ti from 30MH/s to 37MH/s on ethereum by pushing the memory clock up. Mining will also often work fine at higher clocks than would be stable in a full 3d application.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

and with that, gently caress selling anything else on ebay ever

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Fauxtool posted:

since you seem to be so good at acquiring cards, can you get me a 580 8gb for personal use? I want one for an actual build but heck no to the prices online. I dont mind paying some to make it worth your while

Honestly just sit around with nowinstock.net browser alerts turned on and your credit card saved to your newegg account.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
:laffo: at 1080ti nicehash mining already being down to like $6.50/day from last weeks ~$10.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I've got my 1080ti venting straight out the bottom of my case on my desk and if i'm gaming and/or mining it warms the immediate area enough to keep food warm.

250W TDP card :smugdog:

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
That was pretty awesome for everyone who sold their 470/480/570/580/1060/1070 and got a 1080/ti though.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

xthetenth posted:

You shut up about me spending more on storage than video cards for a gaming rig okay? I've fixed it, I'm playing casual games on a 1080 Ti now.

(yeah, weird purchasing decisions happen. I don't want to know how many 1080 Tis are hooked up to 60 fps 1080p screens, let alone TN panels.)

It would actually be cool if you could query the massive steam survey dataset for poo poo like that.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I turned some mined bitcoin into amazon giftcards which I turned into EVE Online space gold because I figured I needed to complete the hosed up circle of virtual libertarian currencies.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

inkwell posted:

of course i DID read the part of the OP where it says "Don't invest money in this!!!!" what i'm pondering now is how stupid would it be to drop the change for an nvidia direct 1070 (still $399) and mine buttcoin to hopefully pay for the rest of say a ryzen 5 rig. I'm currently running a core2 q9450 and a gtx 660ti and its gettin pretty drat long in the tooth. I'm a poor but i could proboably swing 400 bux for that card easier than say, the 900 for a complete rig. i suppose in the worst case scenario i'd be stuck with a 1070 with the ancient C2Q if the bubble bursts too soon...

so: kind of silly or a really loving retarded idea?

Probably stupid?

The profit from my 1080ti has gone from $11 to $5 to $8 in the course of like a week so I wouldn't expect any sort of guaranteed return from any mining-related purchase. If you just want to buy a 1070 anyway as an upgrade it might offset some cost but I wouldn't go buying any cards specifically to mine with.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

inkwell posted:

yeah, like i said, buttmining would be more just a means to an end (possibly helping pay for the rest of a computer upgrade) but i guess it looks like i shouldn't count on getting enough of a return to say, replace my old rear end cpu/mobo. welp *sigh* gonna go back to wistfully making partspicker lists to dream about :P

They are actually also backordered from nvidia direct even so you've got that to take into consideration. That being said the 1080 was like $449 on EVGA B-stock the other day which isn't much more than a 1070FE so you could always keep an eye out for poo poo like that if you're just generally upgrade hunting.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Risky Bisquick posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCcBGX0E8ns&t=17s

Whats up baby, come visit my bedroo... oops this is the mining room sorry

I'm sweating just looking at it.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
If you take those as the baseline of "idiots running crypto cards" and assume that the average setup is at least like an ikea wire shelf with a box fan, plus the fact that GPUs are honestly pretty drat resilient, I'd say that used crypto cards post-crash or whatever are honestly still a pretty solid deal considering they stretch down to drat near 50% MSRP or whatever.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I'm strongly skeptical that liquid metal is really gonna be a huge difference on a GPU vs any good paste. I bet if you replace the stock poo poo with NT-H1 or something you'll see gains too.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

An eBay listing for a reasonably priced 1060 posted:

** MORE LISTINGS COMING! RX480's, 1060's, GPU PSU's, Misc Components **

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Everyone who sold their mid tier gpus at insane prices sprung for a 1080ti (myself included).

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Fauxtool posted:

im back up to 5.25 a day on a 1080ti. Did everyone quitting actually help the "true believers" who stayed?

I just spiked up to 5.50 on my 1080ti after hitting like 3.70 or so all day. BTC hasn't shifted enough to account for that so :iiam: I guess.

I set up the NiceHash Miner Legacy official fork thing today and dialed in the dcri for dual mining and now ETH+Decred actually competes with ewbf equihash sometimes which is neat.

Edit: I guess zcash and BTC are both looking up currently, with zcash difficulty hitting a 1 week low. Probably for like the next hour or something, but I'm not complaining about seeing $6.18/day at the bottom of that window.

Edit 2: Hour or whatever later, full circle, down to $3.90. The lesson is just to not pay much attention to it.

Fruit Chewy fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 13, 2017

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Just wait until he figures out that ebay is gonna take 13% and shipping is another $20.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
if i could live the next like 5 years without having to deal with gpu resale again that'd be ideal

like yeah flipping cards to miners bought me a 1080 ti but honestly gently caress eBay selling

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Don Lapre posted:

Can someone please set up a GPU futures market

that's like multiple levels of abstraction and speculation on the crypto markets

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Since nicehash gets hit doubly hard by the market being poo poo (people aren't exactly going to bid high on hashing power if the currency isn't worth poo poo) i've switched to just mining eth/dcr directly on my 1080ti because the eth part alone is as much as nicehash will pay me. I wouldn't mind if eth took a nice upturn in the next few weeks but I'm not exactly banking on it, just mining on my gaming card when I'm working.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
The legacy nicehash miner added a new algo today (sha3/keccak) which was apparently top dog profitability for the last several weeks and immediately cratered once every nerd on nicehash updated. How does anyone even find out about that beforehand. I guess nicehash was like accepting mining for it but didn't have it on their miners?

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Crypto chaos has allowed me to pay for a 1080ti by flipping entry level gpus and then eat no less than 50 burritos from mining on that 1080ti so I'm basically an economics mastermind.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I mean it was under 2000 like a month ago wasn't it? I don't know how you could even begin to feel good about that decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
If you actually run benches 1080tis tend to stop gaining performance and actually degrade past like +300 or so but will let you keep cranking it for the phat numbers.

• Locked thread