Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

LOL

but seriously can somebody explain dual mining with a custom nicehash build for nVidia cards? Like, which build do I get, do I have to set up 2 instances, etc.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

My 1080 buttmining while undervolted is basically is paying for my lunch 4~5 times a week, depending what I have. Hey, free lunch, can't really complain.

I switched to the new nicehash that has dual mining enbaled for nvidia cards, but since i use command lines to limit usage (basically I don't let my GPU get above 95% usage), it must not be as profitable as others (blake2k's, lbry) because I almost never see my miner on it.

I've got dcri at 150. Tried 92 but that ended up worse for dual mining. Not really bothered to try closing the gap between those two numbers to find best hashing efficiency, so 150 it is, which is the recommended value for 1080tis.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 23, 2017

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

What settings do you use for limiting?

for the ccminers the command line is --intensity = x where x ranges between 18 and 25. Test it out and see what you're happy with. Each algo has a different intensity level.

For the excavator miners I believe it is -ct 1, and for the claymore dual miners it's -li 1 or 2.

In each of the miner's folders there'll be a readme documenting what extra parameters to use to limit intensity of the mining.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

craig588 posted:

I'm not going to try out forks until there have been at least a couple days of people reporting they're happy with them, but if someone wants to experiment with it themselves, both the Claymore and EWBF miners support intensity settings and the Claymore one should replace the Daggerhashimoto miner that doesn't support intensity settings. There's probably a value you can find that'll result in no system lag, if no one gets around to it I'll experiment with it in a few days if people are happy with the latest version and figure out how to best get it running in a completely ignorable way in the background.

The intensity setting for claymore is -li x, where 1 is the least lost intensity. I'm using -li 2 to peg GPU usage at a fluctuating 87~93%. -li 1 keeps GPU usage too high for my liking at 96~98%. This proves to be less profitable on my 1080 than lbry or blake2k at 94~95%.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Tabletops posted:

Hey guys, I'm retarded and also could use some money. I have free electricity where I am. How should I capitalize on this?

If only there was a post detailing exactly what you need to do, in simple steps, somewhere in this thread, perhaps near the beginning of it?

But seriously don't buy new hardware just to mine because it'll take you half a year to break even which is stupid long.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Can someone explain why some miners heat up the GPU more than others? For example:

EWBF: 100% usage, tops out at 72c.
Claymore Dual Sia: 92%, tops out at 78c.

Less GPU usage but more heat generated? Same fan curve, undervolt, etc.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

eames posted:

I'm hoping it'll last a bit longer so the miners will start buying up 1080Ti that they'll have to sell in 2-3 months because they won't be profitable after power costs. :getin:

Ooh now THAT would be glorious. Cheap 1080tis for all.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Who are these people and why can't we watch them in zoos?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Maybe he's the guy who bought the 44 1060s at 1.5x MSRP and is now pissed because he thinks all you fairweather miners are ruining the payouts.

I still can't believe that guy bought 44 1060s *now*, signed a lease for 2 warehouses with a 3rd on the way, and he paid above MSRP to boot.

Where do they make these people?

Edit: Actually, I think I'm confusing 2 different people who bought insane amounts of cards this late in the game, but they're probably twins separated at birth, so... confusion understandable.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 26, 2017

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

1gnoirents posted:

these dudes are mining theyre just annoyed we're f'ing up their hashes or however this dumb crap works

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Maybe he's the guy who bought the 44 1060s at 1.5x MSRP and is now pissed because he thinks all you fairweather miners are ruining the payouts.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

That guy who overbought gpus is only using 300sq feet of the 1500sq ft warehouse he signed a lease on lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/HVAC/comments/6h96yc/can_i_run_an_ac_indoor/

Why would you rack them up close to each other when you've got all that space? Does he think he's going to expand his operation into filling an entire 1500sqf warehouse with loving server racks?

Why did he even rent such a big place?

Just... I can't even.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Yes but what if you are a butt lord who sees filthy casuals getting into it and comes into the thread to poo poo it up with inaccurate assumptions because you are panicking at your payout after buying 44 graphics carda st inflated prices?

Did you think about those people when you made your little how to?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

originalnickname posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I worked with a guy who was all-in on bitcoin despite his normal job making him a very decent living wage.. He threw 24,000 (!!) dollars into bitcoin miners via wire transfer to a chinese company. I bet you can guess how many miners got delivered!

(this was more in response to your statement about the ASIC mining)

Oh God whyyyyy? They just pocketed his money and then used *his* miners to mine, didn't they?

MaxxBot posted:

Seeing more 1080 Ti models out of stock on nowinstock than usual so people are probably actually doing this :lol:

Oh lord is it happening? Hoping for a nice cheap upgrade.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

FWIW looks like Vega does about 30-35 MH/s for Eth

How does this compare to 1070's and 1080's?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

you should have held on to it. You could be rich in 40 years when the exchange you're holding them in steals all your coins

That's what I'm doing!

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

why eat burritos now when you can eat Lamborghini's later

My thoughts exactly! Sumptuous.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

How does it make you feel, taking advantage of these dumb buttminers?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I'm just going to hold onto my bitcoins and hope they go up in value is this a good idea? Should I buy some more?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

1gnoirents posted:

take out a loan on your 401k to buy as many as possible, the returns are greater that way

Paperwork is already in motion!

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Where I live, we've had two record breaking summers in a row and are on pace for a third.

This guy is partly responsible for me sweating my rear end off, literally droplets of sweat dripping down the crack of my rear end like Niagara, during the 10 minute walk between the train station and my office building. I walk into the office and it's seriously like that scene from the Lion King where Pumba farts and every animal on the god drat African plains turns their head to look at him, except instead of buttgas it's sweatsmell made from buttcoins.

Motherfucker I could kill him seriously jfc just sell me some of them used GPUs on the cheap and we good brother I need more junk food coupons

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jul 1, 2017

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

How hot would the room had to have been to give a guy a freaking heat stroke?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Junior Jr. posted:

So my 1080Ti and 1060 6GB have been mining approx. £5-6 per day, and my payout just came 5 hours ago...I've made about £43 this week. :what:

I was very surprised but I actually earned way more than Slushpool payed out in like 5 weeks! :getin: My total should be £45 but they took out like a £2 fine so I'm okay with that.

If this keeps up, I might have enough to consider grabbing an Rx 580 and better my chances for more cash.

Definitely buy new hardware for mining imo.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Pro tip: Buy a 1080ti for mining and milk it baby. Once it loses profitability sell it to me.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Risky Bisquick posted:

If you really wanna spend several grand on mining just buy the coins themselves.

But what if you used that money to buy a bunch of mining rigs instead and then you can mine on them forever?

Did you think of that?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

peak debt posted:

You arent really mining for what the buttcoins are worth now anyway, you do it for their future value. Right now you have a burrito a day but as soon as the blockchain takes off and the worlds entire stock trade is done over ethereum youre a billionaire.

BRB using my life savings to buy mining rigs.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I think the lesson to be learned here is always hold on to your bitcoins, right?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Hi Cryptogoons after stopping Nicehash back when they were still 1.x in version because it went under 3 bucks a day for a GTX1080, I am now gathering that it's a bit better again which would make it 'worth it' for me on my balls-rear end expensive power costs.

I don't mind contributing to destroying our planet for the next generation.

Is Nicehash still good to use after they stole everybody's bitcoins (lol)?
Is Gyft still good for buying Amazon gift cards and/or other gift cards?
Is Coinbase still good to use if I only ever plan to cash out to Amazon gift cards?

Thank ye.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Scarecow posted:

It can work if you use the nicehash wallet then cash out straight to coinbase with no fees then straight into usd or to a place you can sell it for your country's coin (yes im salty that coinbase still wont sell in AUD why you ask)

Does putting in coinbase's wallet id no longer work for Nicehash?

Yeah I'm not in the US and Coinbase doesn't buy/sell in my currency, but I'm not concerned since I only plan to convert it to Amazon gift cards anyway so I can buy more useless poo poo that I don't need.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Thank you cryptogoons for the tips. Does anybody have any recommendations for offline wallets? Or at least something better than Coinbase?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

At least they actually offer something.

RIDE IT TO THE MOON BABY

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

A friend of mine borrowed $15k (USD) and bought when Bitcoin was at $17k AMA (against mate advice).

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 11, 2018

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

My GTX1080 is now doing $3.11 per day on equihash which has been consistently the best algo, with nist5 popping up and down on Nicehash.

This is about where I stopped mining last time during summer, but since it's cool and the cat loves to sit on my warm computer case, I'm going to leave it on just for her.

My cat's comfort is worth contributing to the ruination of our planet.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Risky Bisquick posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/xbInQ

I don't know how to feel about this How can you have kids live like that, my goodness

Love how you can't even shut some of the doors.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Feeling bad for my mate who borrowed half his yearly take-home pay to invest into BTC and other coins (lite,eth,ripple) when BTC was 17k.

At least it wasn't from a shark, so he'll get to keep his limbs. Silver lining.

Speaking of all coins being down, what is up with Digidao?

https://www.worldcoinindex.com/coin/digixdao

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I've got a better idea: Why don't you just buy the dip?

You can thank me later :)

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I mean, they design these systems for buttcoiners who move so little from their buttminers that they get heat strokes, so...

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

the "hack"

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Always thought hodl was just a typo of hold which became a meme that then lost its irony.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I'm hodling my 20 bucks worth of mined bitcoins dont @ me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Upda8 on my m8

As you may or most likely may not recall, I posted that a mate of mine borrowed 15k USD to 'invest' into bitcoin and shitcoin(s) back when bitcoin was worth 17k per coin.

I stopped asking him how it was going when bitcoin had fallen to 11k.

We just had a laugh over how it's now at 6k and change, and he's resigned to simply paying off the loan, and happy he's "not come out of it with nothing"

As in, he's still holding "assets".

Fair enough, I s'pose. A good mental attitude is always the first step.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 11, 2018

• Locked thread