Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cinara posted:

Your video card barely does any work for standard web browsing, watching videos, etc, and just short of zero while idle. Mining uses 100% of the cards power. It's going to add 150-250w of load compared to non-gaming tasks.

How much power the rest of your computer is using will vary on processor, fans, hdds, etc, but that number will not change a significant amount while mining.

Overall mining will draw significantly less power than running a demanding game since unlike games the CPU is running mostly idle, especially if you also undervolt the card and turn off the monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
The only GPU failure I had seen over the past 15 years was a Palit GTX 460 which was artifacting right out of the box, and immediately got exchanged at the local dealer.

Besides if you are undervolting for mining that is gonna help a lot for the longevity of the cards too.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Fauxtool posted:

yeah but imagine how much you would make with 100 1070s. Nevermind the amount of time it takes to break even, You would be making money just sitting around. Passive income man, no constant maintenance or astronomical power bill.

Yeah, and this Volta/Vega thing is gonna just sit around unreleased until you break even.

Some people will always be stupid with money since time immemorial: like subscribing to 300% interest instalment plans for a PS4 and/or happily paying only the minimum payment on their CCs until they die.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Stealthgerbil posted:

I think instead of telling people that its dumb to buy a mining rig now, I am going to encourage them. I think a lot of the people posting on various forusm want to be told that they should buy a mining rig and I think it would be even more funny in a few months when they sell em for a fraction of the cost. If anything, the time to build a rig will be after this current fad dies down. That way you can get cheap parts and mine some poo poo coins with less competition.

IMO the PC DIY scene was already mostly filled with highly impressionable sheep making dubious purchasing decisions even before the first cryptocraze wave showed up.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
So high $/BTC is good and low is also good?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Risky Bisquick posted:

Sold my R9 390 today for $420 CAD / ~325 USD. Cheating on AMD with the new wifu, I should still use the sticker right?

This sticker is better

Palladium fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 1, 2017

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Stopped buttmining for a while now, but tested the Nicehash waters again at 30.6 MH/s ETH on my 1070 for $3/day before the power bill.

Still ain't gonna bother.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
1070 down to $2.30 a day before power

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I guess even the Chinese money washing machines can stomach crypto for so much?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Now only $2/day on 1070 before power.

Can you smell the tide of used cards yet?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
$1.40/day before power on GTX1070? Time to quit my day job!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Junior Jr. posted:

Nicehash still, but from what I heard Vega is supposed to kick rear end at mining algorithms, so I don't know if some early guys are already testing it out.

Unless there's some magic Fine Wine (tm) buttcoin drivers we don't know about yet, Vega is a complete mining joke in terms of hash/W (even with the current supposedly mining-optimized official drivers) versus GTX 1070 or Polaris, nevermind the pricing and supply hilarity going on.

This uarch is a massive failure in every way possible from release date, gaming, mining, power draw, BoM and actual retail price with a sole consolation of Freesync support.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 20, 2017

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Fauxtool posted:

that would be great if bitcoin was actually untraceable which it most certainly is not.
If you can get a billionaire to give you his wallet address under duress you can easily see how much money has been moved.

This has actually already happened and China now has specific laws against bitcoin falling under moving money in general

for the average millionaire who needs to move a few hundred k at a time without the banks finding out its still ok at staying under the radar

My impression with the Chinese filthy richies is that they would be able to stay under the radar if they didn't draw so much attention to themselves by splurging everywhere wherever they go as a pride thing.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Boris Galerkin posted:

How about websites shouldn't be able to run background code that maximizes my CPU, drains my battery (on laptop), and continuously phones home (I presume a JavaScript miner needs to phone somewhere) just because I decided to click on a link?

Sure the Pirate Bay is a website that serves up pirated software and movies and poo poo but that doesn't make it "ok" for them to abuse my computer. There are legitimate avenues of visiting TPB without intention of using their services, like "I heard people talking about TPB so I googled it and clicked on the first link, and then I left the tab open while I answer a call and now I've come back 5 hours later and my laptop battery is dead why is it dead and why does my laptop smell like burnt sulfur and lead?"

Besides today it's TPB but as soon as they can show that running shitware on tens of thousands of browsers to mine shitcoins produces even 1 fake virtual penny of profit then now all of your shittier advertising networks are going to use shitminers in addition to their current suite of lovely ads. Do you guys seriously think that an ad exec is going to ever say "let's give our users a choice of either seeing ads or mining shitcoins for us" because spoiler alert that will never ever happen. More like "show them ads and also make them mine shitcoins for us, and let's hire a guy to take the fall in case we get caught while we're at it."

If you aren't running adblockers on every platform you use, you are doing it wrong.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I run 1.8.1.5 on 1070 and found it picks the neoscypt algo most of the time which is a few cents/day better then the rest, but it's uses so much more power that it's trash in $/W so I disabled it.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

QuarkJets posted:

I don't know about AMD but NVidia's bread and butter these days is high performance computing, as in datacenters full of Tesla cards. This cryptocurrency mining poo poo is barely even a blip.

You can buy a 2U system that costs $100k and is basically just graphics cards, and datacenters are being built that are just full of these kinds of systems.

How ironic the GPU vendor making the real bank isn't the one who is shoulder deep dabbling in buttcoins.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Winmining $5.60/day with a 8700K 4.3GHz @ 1.05V / 38W and a GTX 1070 1721core/9000mem @ 0.8V / 107W

I'm back in the game baby

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

DrDork posted:

Yeah, South Korea rumbling that they might ban coin trading entirely has not done well for the markets.

Evil gubments violating our sacred coinrights of deliberate tax evasion and money laundering

We must fight the power

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
It's funny how a nominally communist government is doing the sane things against crypto and DRAM price fixing, while on the other side of the ocean somebody like the FTC can't be bothered to deal with obvious MLM pyramid schemes because freedom.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Alpha Mayo posted:

Lol. Our education system has failed.

Is it me or it is an American thing for people to throw good money at bad like MLMs and buttcoins?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

DrDork posted:

Modern LED bulbs are pretty legit. CCFLs, though, are usually a rip off and will rarely pay for themselves. The biggest offenders for wasted energy are air conditioners, electric stoves, and electric water heaters. If you've got inefficient ones of those, you're gonna notice pretty quick on your electric bill.

That said, spending an extra $500 to save $10/mo in electric takes a while to pay itself back, but it'll get there eventually.

LEDs are already cheaper and superior in every way than CFLs that the latter has zero reason to exist. My bathroom have the $1 IKEA 5W LED bulb while my rooms are 24W ceiling plate types at $2 each shipped direct from China since 2014. All of them are so much more reliable than the CFL tubes they replaced and doesn't make an annoying humming noise.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Naffer posted:

That's true for the lower wattage (60W equivalent) LEDs, but the 100W equivalent LEDs are pretty expensive compared to the CFLs.

https://mattgadient.com/2016/12/06/color-me-impressed-looking-at-the-150w-smart-ic-led-cob-110v-ac/

Direct AC driven 150W for 12 bux. Not sure how much the equivalent wattage CFL costs though.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
1070 gets usd2.5/day on nicehash, my local buttlords are already starting to panic selling their GPU special reserve

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
So when is carboncreditcoin gonna launch?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
$6459 / BTC, pls nerf still too high

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
That guy in a tweet mentioned in this thread or the GPU one who bought 10+ 1080 Tis at inflated prices last month must be feeling so ecstatic now

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Checked out nicehash today, USD $1.40/day on my 1070 before power, which is not even a $10/month profit after power.

poo poo crashing just in time for NV's next gen.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
$1.08 / day

Has the mass GPU selloff begun yet

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

future ghost posted:

Bitcoin is only to be used for legal and legitimate services such as

"In five years, if you try to use fiat currency they will laugh at you." — Silicon Valley investor Tim Draper, 2017"

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Lockback posted:

I mean, she is kinda right (except for the persecution complex of thinking there is a shady cabal trying to bring down bitcoin). The Guardian article was about a link, and storing a reference != storing content. There is a pretty legit open question (that she does not answer) about how you go about dealing with content that we as a society have deemed illegal to possess when you have a trustless store of content?

Something something blockchain(tm) is the solution to everything

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Because from all the mindless bandwagoners, money of very dubious sources to outright theft and scams within the cult of blockchain , these paragons of morality can't possibly do something stupid and illegal

Palladium fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 24, 2018

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
"We currently only support Ubuntu 16.04 as a host's OS."

Ugh

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I wanna know who the gently caress is forever hodling butts at $8k/butts.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Stickman posted:

I love how every goddam libertarian loves freedom until they suddenly stop winning. Then it just isn't fun anymore and they need their special protections.

The implied notion of any fairness in crypto is as valid as a school of piranhas talking about ethics while they eat other alive.

And woot, my 1070 breaks the $1/day barrier...downwards.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
$7000/butt barrier just got broken

Its the perfect time to buy in and hodl laddies to rub it into currency debasing gubments, while discussing how to do a pump-dump fork into a new coin when existing ones aren't working to your advantage because who needs regulations

Palladium fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 30, 2018

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

1gnoirents posted:

Did they not check profit calculators? Lol. But drat $0.61 a day without considering power usage on EIGHTEEN gpus? Paying for power or not that should trip some mental flags. There is zero indication things will get better, and despite supply problems we are also on the verge of another Nvidia generation at some point here...

Out of all the silly things I've seen in this thread that is actually one of the worst decisions I've seen yet.

I assuming that's 18 x 1080 Tis, which VERY conservatively draws at least 3600W and that is already overloading a 230V circuit that is only rated at 13A max.

Boy, that's gonna be really fun on a 110V circuit.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 30, 2018

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Which is still an extra $200 / month in power bills at 15c/KWh to the landlord. I'm sure they will never notice that.

($200 can last me 5 months in electricity despite using the air conditioning everyday at 17c/KWh) :brag:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
6687.1 USD

Why are u guys not hodling

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I wonder why white collar crime keeps happening when they at most get a slap on the wrist even if they are caught

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

tonic posted:

That poo poo made them millions, right? Did they end up in jail?

Nah, it's the epitome of the American Dream. Screwing others is part of that, and it also doesn't matter if you got scammed big time, so long as you telling yourself you always have that miniscule chance of making a killing like the former.

Win win

• Locked thread