Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's literally "I have hashing power" "Okay, we'll pay you x for using your hashing power" "thanks"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.techspot.com/news/71983-cryptocurrency-start-up-vanishes-after-raising-375k-investors.html

What a surprise. What even are ICOs supposedly offering?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.google.com/amp/s/electr...rcharger-power/

How long until Tesla disallows bitcoin mining in their cars?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just put it in mineral oil

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The invisible hand of the free market sucker punches fools daily

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's a decent wallet for various alt-coin?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

...You should read the last few posts, friend.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

tehinternet posted:

None of them. Any of them can and will be hacked. Don’t keep more than you’re willing to lose.

That being said, Coinbase is good. It will be hacked one day, but it’s good now.

I mean offline wallets. Or are those not the way to do this sort of thing anymore?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fauxtool posted:

VTC not working correctly you say?

:stonk:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is it wild quotes about bitcoin time?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Craptacular! posted:

She has a history of being at odds with reality, but in this case she’s apparently quoting some guy who talked to Ars. And whether that guy is also an idiot or Ars got him out of context, a statement that was probably intended to be “I’d current trends hold...” was misinterpreted as “current trends WILL hold”.

https://twitter.com/Spacekatgal/status/939708183358115840

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This is getting stupid.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Craptacular! posted:

This image just makes me want to find the person at Nvidia, or AMD, or somewhere else that elected to put a make.money.fast instruction set in graphics cards and knee them in the genitals.

GPGPU stuff is pretty useful for more than cryptocurrencies so :shrug:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zero VGS posted:

What is holding the GPUs to the wall, I can't tell from the picture.

The invisible hand of the free market

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zero VGS posted:

I feel like the most appropriate thing to buy with bitcoin money on Amazon would be soylent...

Don't. It's some gross stuff.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wouldn't mind them if they were palatable, but they taste like bland pancake batter in the worst way possible. At least get some flavor in there, jeez.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Not trying to defend Soylent, but weren't the banned because they claimed to be a complete meal replacement, not because they were poo poo with contaminants and whatnot?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Did they tell everyone with a prior balance to get hosed yet?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Your coins stolen, not ours lol

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Large Hashing Collider

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DrDork posted:

Nicehash seems to be back to working fine. Just note that they nuked all the old wallet addresses, so you need to log into your account to make a new one (there's a big button for it right under your 0.0000 BTC balance)--something they did not mention in any of their announcements.

1gnoirents posted:

Well Nicehash seems to finally be working.

There is zero message or indication of any sort of repayment plan. Their website doesn't even seem to acknowledge that anything happened at all :lol:

Did you guys just overlook this post?

Nitrousoxide posted:

NiceHash is back up and saying that they will pay everyone back who's wallet loss is above 0.0001 BTC.

https://www.nicehash.com/attack-learn-more

Nicehash posted:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are using NiceHash Miner, please update your wallet address immediately. All NiceHash wallet addresses have been reset.

Nicehash posted:

We have now been able to reserve the funds required to restore balances from a group of international investors in our business. The exact date of reimbursement for old balances will be announced by January 31, 2018. We need this interim period to ensure all legal paperwork is processed correctly, so please be patient while we do this.

Please also note that balances lower than 0.0001 BTC will be written off; apologies for any inconvenience.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
From context, I believe a paper wallet is a real bitcoin wallet, not a balance that some website says it owes you.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Craptacular! posted:

Dumb question: Where is the money spent on transaction fees actually going? Is there someone making huge profit out of it, or is it just waste to discourage stress?

iirc, it's added to the total reward for mining the block. The idea is, in the far future, nearly every bitcoin that will ever be mined has been mined and thus the normal reward for mining a block will be miniscule. To keep people mining, the transaction fees become the primary source of income, not the discovery/minting/award of new coins.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

nnnotime posted:

Another dumb question: so what happens after all the bitcoins are mined: then there are no more need for transaction fees? What happens then to people who are trying to cash out their bitcoin to local currencies?

And I guess what happens to the miners when no more bitcoin can be mined? I guess the obvious answer is they switch to a different popular cryptocurrency, or work starts on mining Bitcoin 2 (which seems like a silly answer).

As long as people are transacting, transaction fees will be required. Also, bitcoin will never have mined every bitcoin. The reward approaches zero, as the total supply of bitcoins asymptotically approaches its maximum.

e:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rexxed posted:

That's the good stuff.

I'm Bitcoin Santa

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

This is great

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cstine posted:

Also, anyone running back to Nicehash should read their payment schedule veeeery carefully: they're only paying out to external wallets at 0.1 BTC right now: https://www.nicehash.com/help/when-and-how-do-you-get-paid

In true bitcoin fashion, this is of course buried at the bottom and was 100% not mentioned at all anywhere in their re-launch messaging, because lol at setting the minimum payout to like $1500 (or $1200 or $1600 or...)

Hahaha what

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/Fliesineyes/status/945343957222985728

Don't spend money on bitcoin

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Bitcoin is a gamble. To clarify, don't spend money on bitcoin...that you are not prepared to lose.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What are people doing that makes mining cards unstable? I've mined for years without inducing card death.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Risky Bisquick posted:

Running their cards at 85c in 35c climates to get an extra 10% hash

My cards ran at around that temperature. Gpus are made for that, iirc.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I used a pair of 6870s in the 80s for two years. They still work fine.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Then Pascal would be fine, right?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Or sell the power back to the grid and actually do something useful for society.

Why aren't you doing that?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Peachfart posted:

Tesla is a scam for dumb nerds

that's a spicy take fam

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
We strongly recommend you let us hold your money, and we're raising rates when you try to get it out.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Facebook Aunt posted:

Why do all the cartoon women look sad or angry? Not a single smile. Even in their wildest fantasies women aren't happy to see them.

Smiles cost extra.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nitrousoxide posted:

Those sound like very important things to retain to me.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Craptacular! posted:

So, for those who forgot, last summer I turned an RX470 into a 1070 by selling to a miner and going a month without a graphics card earlier this year.

I.. uh, I'm feeling a strong compulsion to sell the 1070 I bought for $400 for $600 and just keep this going. God drat GPUs are weird.

How are you going to sell a 1070 for 600?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I used to run the poo poo out of F@H. Nerd leaderboards were great.

• Locked thread