Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Coinbase is showing eth at $328 now? What's that tweet pointing to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

The bitcoin threads always say open milk crate rigs are worse than one in a modern case. Even if you point a big room fan at it. I don't understand how it works though.

Modern cases duct a lot of airflow through them. A big room fan can be bad about extracting hot air.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

cheese-cube posted:

But how many milk crates do you need to add to keep up with difficulty increases? How many suburban areas even have home milk delivery? I'm saying milk crates aren't as easy to steal as they once were so that's gotta be an overhead to costs that'll dent your profits.

This thread is literally "have a computer, do moderate work to have computer turn electricity into money from idiots, if you buy anything for this you are the idiots"

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

cheese-cube posted:

You buy electricity you dinguses. Unless you live with your parents then they are going to be annoyed that you're increasing the power bill whilst squirreling away fantasy currency which has an effective value equivalent to one tenth of the cost of the power bill.

You buy electricity in direct proportion to the money you extract from libertarian fantasies, as you extract the money. You then turn it into gift cards or similar that has actual value greater than the electricity you paid for. At this point it isn't, so you've stopped, and you've got a bit of burrito or etailer money.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

For me personally it's more of a nerdy interest, so spending a few hours reading about all these crazy ideas is entertainment.

Im torn about posts like yours dissuading others from looking into this, because on the one hand it's true you can gently caress yourself very easily if you believe in TO THE MOON. On the other hand, gently caress maybe I'd have some bitcoins right now.

I don't think my dumb 2012 self would've bought mining rigs but Who knows. I was flipping diablo 3 items at the time so this crypto stuff should've been right up my alley. I made some profit from selling amulets and poo poo, so virtual money turning into real money wasn't weird to me , it was fun.

As long as you don't put your inheritance in this, I really don't see the harm, just check you're coming out ahead.

Honestly if you aren't putting money in with the expectation of getting it and more back, then whatever. You have your fun and you do you.

Risky Bisquick posted:

You can buy lots of household things on Amazon now, he is the reason retail is dying

Millenials!!!!

Is that actually the case, because that's even funnier given power prices.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Actually seriously I just read this thread for laughs, I never got going. Hopefully my 290 still has value because of this idiocy, my 1080 Ti is here. Go in peace sweet prince, you were a far better graphics card than I could've expected.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

craig588 posted:

It's all covered in the OP. Don't buy hardware, check if it's profitable, convert to something you can use as soon as possible.

I think a lot of people would doubt that Amazon credit is worthless or a scam. Doesn't really matter now, for most people it's not profitable anymore. but if it was last week you'd be giving up free money (or not if you never use Amazon?).

I'll definitely be running my computer 24/7 again if I can get 50 dollars a week from it again though. It seems crazy to not want free money.

Seriously the only downside to this is that you're propping up libertarian idiots and out of touch nerds' dreams. But they're paying money for negligible time investment, so who cares what they think.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

cheese-cube posted:

I should evaluate my reasoning that there's no such thing as a free lunch and that for the situation being discussed you'll get at most a Keurig pod of tartars sauce for an entire weeks worth of effort? Nope sounds solid to me. I'm not saying that you won't make "some" money but it will be gently caress all and eventually with difficulty increases you will end up making nothing.

A week's worth of the computer's effort isn't the same as a week's worth of your own personal effort.

cheese-cube posted:

Edit: forgot to mention deprecation of hardware which no one seems to be accounting for, an oversight that's exacerbated by running your poo poo to within an inch of it's life for its life. That drops you to the bottom of those MTBF curves manufacturers release.

The only meaningful depreciation of computer hardware is when the next generation comes out. Everything else pales in comparison. Especially if it's still working when you flip it, in which case who cares how it was?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

cheese-cube posted:

Your cherry-picking of my arguments does nothing to invalidate them.

Your arguments already invalidate themselves. This is just a running commentary for my own amusement.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

The *coin model is predicated on intentional waste of resources and ecological destruction with no real utility and if you have any kind of ethics you would not be engaging in it despite whatever meager returns you can accumulate at the moment.

There's an argument to be made that decreasing the returns on people getting power from coal if you're on really cheap and less destructive energy might be defensible.

But this is tiny compared to what we're all doing as part of our cultural fetishization of tragedies of the commons.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Yes but what if you are a butt lord who sees filthy casuals getting into it and comes into the thread to poo poo it up with inaccurate assumptions because you are panicking at your payout after buying 44 graphics carda st inflated prices?

Did you think about those people when you made your little how to?

The thought of them makes me happy.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Palladium posted:

IMO the PC DIY scene was already mostly filled with highly impressionable sheep making dubious purchasing decisions even before the first cryptocraze wave showed up.

You shut up about me spending more on storage than video cards for a gaming rig okay? I've fixed it, I'm playing casual games on a 1080 Ti now.

(yeah, weird purchasing decisions happen. I don't want to know how many 1080 Tis are hooked up to 60 fps 1080p screens, let alone TN panels.)

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

Some people can't afford to go all-in at once. Also it's a wise bet games will get more effects-laden and geometrically complex even at 1080p.

E3 demos convinced me to buy a 1070 instead of a 1060, and my display is a 1080/60 television.

Yeah, I've got a friend who's got a better screen in the queue. I just get unreasonably mad about people who don't respect monitors.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Spatial posted:

This historical re-enactment is pretty drat good, but we're still missing someone trying to sell fruit dried with the power of GPUs and also someone getting permanent brain damage by sleeping in the same room as their unventilated GPU farm. Please do the needful

How the gently caress did someone pull that off without realizing something was way wrong?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Meanwhile for those of us driving reasonable framerates the smoothing out of latency between frames is super nice.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

1gnoirents posted:

Jesus it just happened to me. I was sitting here pondering what to do about my mining pc. Outside of the GPU, its paid itself off already. The 1080 in it was a used card I had in my main PC which cost me exactly $400.

Now, resale of that today would let me break even on that card + maybe $50 or so all said and done. Considering I used it for 5 months, thats a big win overall, and the plan always ways to get a 1080ti and sell off the 1080 anyway and this would put me firmly on top of everything. Mining is "crashing" relative to the craze it was and I don't see it returning to that which would affect near term resale prices probably, but my biggest concern are the Volta rumors in September. Even discounting any kind of over supplied used market thats going to rear end blast its value.

So the intelligent thing would be to cut and run. There is no way around it. But I dont want to... im sitting here doing math months out in advance speculating at $2 a day, $1.50 a day, $1.00 a day, how long would it be before I make enough money to justify not selling today (its a lot of days). But I think I'm gonna do just that. I'm a slave to this now. Tell my family I gave it my best try but I have succumbed to the buttcoin

Do you use that card for literally anything other than creating money? If so, create the money now. Also add in your power costs and chart out what happens if your mining rate tanks that hard.

Losing money is on the table if you don't cash out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

It is buttcoin after all.

How long till the first case of brain damage resulting from fecal contamination?

• Locked thread