Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I'd really like to add component usage to the calculation. Like, is there any hard info about what mining bitcoinz does to your GPU, CPU and so on? These fans are spinnin nigga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Another tip - Ether, which is the most popular crypto to mine at this time, will switch to proof of stake instead of proof of work at some point in the next year, with a planned "hybrid PoW/PoS" switch in between.

So mining eth will drastically drop profitability once that happens, same as Bitcoin.

What I mean is, unless you got money to burn, probably don't invest in mining rigs unless you're sure you can use the cards after the boom is over.

Also most new coins are starting with a Proof of Stake model instead of mining. Turns out they've realized all this wasted lectricity might be bad for the world.

Unless you believe in cryptocurrency overall and can switch to something else. Personally I'm curious about SiaCoins and I'm mining those too...

Tldr: if u gonna mine, get in now bitch

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I only use my Pc for games

Now I use it most for mining

Im thinking of buying a Nintendo Switch with the profits of my tricked out gaming PC that I never use for gaming

Living la video loca

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Don Lapre posted:

I have a customer who wants me to build him a 6 gpu 1060 rig. should i tell him hes dumb or take his money

It's none of your business, just build him his poo poo. At best you should warn him about your concerns.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Re: Ethereum crash from 350 to 13 USD

LOL 😂

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Enos Cabell posted:

I thought I'd save some of this funny money for the Steam sale, but holy gently caress the fees to use it are insane. I just bought a $4.99 game on Steam with BTC, and after fees it was over $9. gently caress that.

Welcome to Cryptocurrency! FREE MONEY!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

😍

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Yeah I don't know if I'd trust buying a used GPU, specially one used for mining

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I'm down with y'all, if you can make more profit by flipping, by all means. The more I read about cryptocurrencies, the more it confirms that it's still a shitshow, just like in years past.

https://decentralize.today/the-bitcoin-war-proof-of-work-has-failed-us-3bf5734f45f3

This mining poo poo just can't last much longer, can it? It's just a huge waste of resources. It's just really dumb. I'm interested in the Proof of Stake thing, and I might actually buy a few coins that use this method. Long term, it just doesn't make sense to keep mining and wasting hardware and power.

https://decentralize.today/why-pos-is-better-than-pow-2dc3cd9881a7

Summary: I'm interested in Cryptocurrencies and poo poo because I read the Cryptonomicon and they both say Crypto in the name

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

divabot posted:

u wot m8. Gaming hardware in particular burns bright and short and wears out before its time, particularly if you're using it at full power 24/7.

This is the correct attitude: keep a close eye on your takings and costs, and quit before you fall behind. (I know someone who did okay in the first Bitcoin bubble with this approach, finally giving up when it all went ASIC.)

bugger me, there's literally a bubble in the video cards themselves now.

Since you're writing a book against all this stuff, I wonder if you've thought of buying any funcoins? You seem to be against mining, from what I've read, but not sure if you think this crypto poo poo has any real future or what

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Im working on my time traveling movie pitch, about a guy who goes back in time and trades 10,000 bitcoins for a pizza

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I'll let you know in a few months!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

I spelled out exactly what the problems were in that case: 24/7 use with insufficient cooling. Note that these are likely the conditions subjected to a video card that was used for at-home mining

Umm they're outside the confines of a badly ventilated Pc box, cooled by air, free to megahash to their hearts content. These are free range GPUs, sir

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Not only am i producing the poop, I'm buying other people's freshly produced poop. To the moooooooooon!!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Divabot can you look into WAVES and tell me your opinion? I'm legit thinking of buying a hundred pieces at 5 dollars to see what happens. There's no mining and the chrome app is very good for being an early release, it seems like a legit good project, but then again I suddenly became a crypto miner so I don't trust my broken brain anymore

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Ahahahahahahaha

Also ethereum took a nut shot to its value and it keeps dropping. I think I'm going to stop mining it in a couple weeks/days since the profit is just too low now. It was a good run !

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Ahahahahahahaha

Also ethereum took a nut shot to its value and it keeps dropping. I think I'm going to stop mining it in a couple weeks/days since the profit is just too low now. It was a good run !

Unlesss... maybe I should hold until it becomes as valuable as bitcoin!

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 25, 2017

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Deth of Eth

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

WTF even is WAVES? like a 'make-ur-own-bitcoin' thing?

It's an altcoin with no mining, you get more by staking or holding your coins.

Then if you own at least 1, you can issue more coins based on your specifications. It's pretty raw but I like what I've seen so far.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

xthetenth posted:

You buy electricity in direct proportion to the money you extract from libertarian fantasies, as you extract the money. You then turn it into gift cards or similar that has actual value greater than the electricity you paid for. At this point it isn't, so you've stopped, and you've got a bit of burrito or etailer money.

For me personally it's more of a nerdy interest, so spending a few hours reading about all these crazy ideas is entertainment.

Im torn about posts like yours dissuading others from looking into this, because on the one hand it's true you can gently caress yourself very easily if you believe in TO THE MOON. On the other hand, gently caress maybe I'd have some bitcoins right now.

I don't think my dumb 2012 self would've bought mining rigs but Who knows. I was flipping diablo 3 items at the time so this crypto stuff should've been right up my alley. I made some profit from selling amulets and poo poo, so virtual money turning into real money wasn't weird to me , it was fun.

As long as you don't put your inheritance in this, I really don't see the harm, just check you're coming out ahead.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

TomR posted:

I "made" $9.87 over the past two days and I'm done now. I'm gonna go mow the lawn for the old lady who lives across the street and she'll pay me $20 and give me a coke to drink while I do it so that's pure profit.

What!

Buy 80 lawnmower! Hire 200 people! Now mow mow mow! To the moooooon!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Maybe cheese cube is hungry. Here, have a burrito I bought with crypto. It's a cryptorrito

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Plus if you don't finish the burrito you can re-heat it on top of your GPU. This poo poo is bananas

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

This is it boys, we've hit the big time! To the moooooooooooooonnnnn

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I think you'll find that what is really dumb is living, as life has literally no purpose, hth

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

BTW for the dude asking about an alt coin that would let you decentralize CGI rendering, there's an alt coin for that: "GOLEM"

Or it might be a token or something, who the hell knows? They're going to synergize with decentralization and crypto networks to achieve the impossible and know the unknowable by harnessing idling processing via machine learning, or some poo poo like that

https://golem.network

Have you thought about it? There's an alt coin for that!

Ethereum is hilarious to me. It's an ethereal currency with the name straight from a World of Warcraft level and it uses "Gas" to run, much like farts, of which I produce many thanks to my crypto burritos. This loving dimension.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Stealthgerbil posted:

Golem is a pre-mined coin. Thats right, people are buying a coin because someone is like 'it can do this in the future maybe?'. Neat concept but not exactly worth giving money to people for them.

The only coins that seem to have a legitimate use and decent tech (not proven but promising) are Siacoin and the WAVESSSSSSSS (Mostly I like the name). In my opinion of course, I haven't researched the 600+ coins out there, let alone the tokens.

Most else just seems like bullshit to me, but who knows... To the moon?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

He's one of those guys who believes those Instagram accounts about success with photos of lions wearing crowns and poo poo

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Kt88 posted:

I was seriously getting a mining rig together as I happen to have a newish 1070 and an old 290 which appeared to both be good cards for mining. Read this thread over the past week and changed my mind. Just sold both cards last night for stupid money and placed an order for a 1080ti using the proceeds. Thanks guys.

This is literally the first thing in the loving OP

I am still building a new Pc with 2 GPUs that I wasn't using but it's for a relative and it's for gaming instead of mining

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

1gnoirents posted:

Got my first whopping completely free $27 deposit guys. all this free money makes it all worth it

That's a lotta burrito! 🌯🕺🏻

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

1gnoirents posted:

If a 1900 overclock concerns anybody I have some baaaaaaad news

Also if you care to notice I specifically placed my cards on Non-Conductive materials and ganged several PSU's together to spread the power load for a clean oxygen free sine wave power signal.

trust me im the last of your worries

I don't believe you

Btw does anyone know what's this retarded meme of typing "Hodl" instead of Hold

PS gotdang, Reddit really sucks

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Any recs for a good AIO to keep my card in top shape? 1080ti

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Thanks for the AIO recs, that Kraken Looks pretty good actually, and it's not expensive at all(considering 30 dollars vs a 700dollar card)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

I don't think that it should be using hardly any of your system RAM. Is it also having you CPU mine?

GPUs for scientific computation have become a big business, but most of the scientific community uses Tesla and sometimes TITAN cards instead of 10XX consumer-grade graphics cards. For poo poo like deep learning you usually don't need double precision, so 10XX cards should be sufficient in theory if you wanted to setup a scientific computation box. But as has been discussed before, these cards aren't designed to live in dense clusters, which is probably why the warranty is so short. So I guess if you don't have enough funds to do work on a supercomputer but want to tool with the hardware, you could buy a couple of these and at least be able to tool around with GPU-relevant applications, like image processing or machine learning. These wouldn't be useful for HPC centers; NVLink offers too much value to try and skimp by buying these things, and there's no way that you could get an affordable HPC service contract supporting consumer-grade GPUs with only 6-month warranties

I've done some ML (not my primary source of work), they often are, and you can do ML reasonably well without NVLink, just over PCIe. NVLink gives you a huge performance boost and makes your code easier to develop, but sure, you can still do some ML stuff without it.

I think these would be fine if someone wanted to set up a github for personal projects that use GPUs but didn't already own a GPU, for instance

Just buy Ethereum and let OTHERS be your supercomputer with Ether and gas 💨!

Seriously please buy Ethereum this poo poo is so low now I cant buy burritos

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Do you want to buy an app that manages all your mining rigs that produce Bitcoins?
http://www.awesomeminer.com/buy.aspx. has you covered! You can buy a bitcoin mining rig manager for up to 5,000 rigs!

They accept only credit cards or PayPal. Bitcoin? lol gently caress that trash, we don't accept that

Fruit Chewy posted:

I turned some mined bitcoin into amazon giftcards which I turned into EVE Online space gold because I figured I needed to complete the hosed up circle of virtual libertarian currencies.

This God forsaken land

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I go 1080p at 60fps because I just found out about Gsync, and also I'm obsessive about frame rate, but also like everything at max settings. I'll take better effects instead of higher resolutions.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

MaxxBot posted:

My 1070 can hit 32 if you OC it a lot, the 1080 does a bit worse because of GDDR5X. The 1080 Ti does like 37 or so but my 1080 Ti has never actually run dagger before so I'm not totally sure. It's a bad value for mining Eth at least, I'm curious to see how it does mining Zcash and other stuff.

What

My 1080ti did 32 at best for Eth...
Are you overclocking o something ? I underclocked it to keep it below 65c but I'm not sure it could reach 37 even at higher speeds...

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

From what I've seen even with the recovery in price, the difficulty increased and I'm getting like 30% less than before last week... kind of not worth it

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Fauxtool posted:

you just need to spend 700 on another 1080 ti. Then your daily income will be great, nevermind the added investment. Do you not have faith in cryptocurrency or something?

I would if I could still triple SLI

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Yeah right
These guys don't gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

1gnoirents posted:

Alright guys I'm posting this because im pretty god drat proud, but feel free to laugh. I violated the poo poo out of rule #1 on day 0 so I figured well, go all in!

I present to you the computer made out of garbage

a few fitment issues lol

(all prices including shipping, tax, etc)
$10 - Craigslist Case (Coolermaster 915R ??? never heard of this weird rear end thing)
$28 - Ebay Intel "i5" 4570T
$20 - Ebay Unknown pulled B85 Acer Motherboard
$22 - Amazon new PSU EVGA something
$0 - 4 GB drawer ram
$6 - Store bought lovely zalman cooler

Took me a week but $86 to put together an actual computer that works to plug a GPU into is unreal to me. The 1070 I have in it is being returned to best buy so I can put my current (cheaper) 1080 into it as I have a 1080ti on the way for my regular computer

I do have a small issue with this CPU, Nicehash doesn't seem to find it to mine with. It seems to meet all the requirements I could find (specifically AES instruction set and "not old"). I've seen it generally not recommend to mine with the CPU but this is a 35W TDP CPU and so far CPU mining has gained me about 10% on top. Even my OC'd 6600k uses 30 more watts over not using it which has totally been worth it so I'd like to CPU mine if possible.

edit: (oh yeah, windows 10 evaluation and an old ssd I pulled from my main computer I never use). Its also dead silent at 100% load, puts my main computer to shame

Godspeed you huge retard

Honestly if you can get it to mine without being a huge fire hazard, more power to you

Speaking of fire hazards are you sure that cheapo PSU is fine for it? Other than that, good luck

Btw I read today that they're definitely halving the rewards for miners in ETH, going it goes up in value to make up for it, and then going to PoS

• Locked thread