Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Why use legacy again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Risky Bisquick posted:

So I built a thing, total cost was like 7 bucks

Aren’t you the same guy that had four more GPUs coming in? Why not have something decent for them instead of something that burns your house down?

It’s like all the greatest hits of a True Believer.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This is pretty rich.

quote:

I had over $1k USD worth in there. That was to pay for my electricity for the month.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I guess it's a neutral thing I didn't wear my card's fans for weeks running Nicehash since the temperatures FINALLY went down around here.

I'll wait again until you nice people can write a guide similar to the OP on what a lazy person with a single GPU should do.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Zero VGS posted:

I don't think the virtual Magic The Gathering Online cards have never been hacked though.

If only we had invested in islands and mana. :negative:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
She has a history of being at odds with reality, but in this case she’s apparently quoting some guy who talked to Ars. And whether that guy is also an idiot or Ars got him out of context, a statement that was probably intended to be “I’d current trends hold...” was misinterpreted as “current trends WILL hold”.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

This image just makes me want to find the person at Nvidia, or AMD, or somewhere else that elected to put a make.money.fast instruction set in graphics cards and knee them in the genitals.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So how many of you guys that were running it reformatted in the past week or however long it's been?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

craig588 posted:

I don't know AMD so well, but Nvidia DGAF about mining and kind of doesn't like it. Miners are buying gaming segment cards, but instead of gamers they're only buying cards based on a nebulous profitability rather than every generation to play new games.

Depends on your definition of generation, but gamers don't have to buy every generation. Miners frequently will if the efficiency means enough.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Mostly they just need more 1070s

Is TSMC even going to make more 1070s because I figured the ti was going to be a defacto replacement. It's basically a repurposed 1080 that didn't quite pass QC, in the same way that 1060 3GBs were chips that had one CUDA core fail and were repurposed instead of being thrown away. The 1070 was basically it's own unique manufacturing, so I figured it was effectively retired in manufacture and the plant would focus on making 1060, 1080, and ti fabs.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 20, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Risky Bisquick posted:

If you want to mine casually with a 1070, just set your card to 65% TDP, 50% fan, +150core/+500mem in afterburner

Thank you for this recipe. Mining along at a pretty good clip with temperatures staying around 40 and the fan noise isn't a problem since I remember when GPU fans used to run this loud all the time whether you used them or not. (It's also likely to be healthier for the fans than spinning them up and down all the time.)

The only thing that annoys me is I'll be mining at something just over $4/day and then NiceHash will switch to CryptoNight and that drops it nearly a full dollar. Although now I'm suddenly onto something else and made up most of it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

I love the comments beginning to question whether this can be the future of anything.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I ran WinMiner and Nicehash for similar lengths of time. Roughly an hour.

In NiceHash, I made 25 cents. In WinMiner, I apparently made a penny. Something about that seems wrong, since the estimates are lower but not 1/25th lower. Even though it's nice to dump the money dirctly into an Amazon gift card, it's simply not accumulating fast enough. I'll just have to mine NiceHash and hope I'll actually see the results someday. (What the hell?)

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 22, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Uh, what is a paper wallet? To the layman like me it sounds like you're getting physical manifestation of digital currency as proof of ownership and sticking it into a wallet from Wal-Mart.

I mean the OP basically instructs you to use CoinBase and their iOS app was top of the store for like the past week so it's kind of hard to dismiss the vague smell of elitism in that post but I'll just go ahead and be the guy who asks and gets it out of the way.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Doesn't that require downloading your own copy of the ginormous blockchain file? I remember one GBS "why Bitcoin sucks" thread talked about how the thing wasn't going to scale as that file became freakin' enormous, and I just assume these sites existed to host and handle it for you.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So basically, decentralizing the gently caress out of everything. The Slackware Linux of mining. Got it.

Risky Bisquick posted:

I understand the OP dilutes the information required to the basics of push button to make fake money, but good god if you are going to invest, which I really don't want to call it that, in a fake internet currency you should have done even the slightly due diligence with regard to your actual money. The very first link from google https://www.coindesk.com/information/paper-wallet-tutorial/ explains some very basic concepts of what a blockchain wallet is (whether hardware or offline or online/exchange) and the association to a private key. Is it elitism, or aghast before blindly spending money on the currency of the future :monocle:

Sure. This thread is a combination of people who are sort of bemused spectators and the occasional person like you who, for whatever reason, decided to dive in and understand everything. There's a subculture here that not everyone's going to get.

I'm not saying your attitude toward the fool and his money isn't warranted, it's just hard to interpret if you don't actually want to bank hard on this poo poo and know how that works, and instead just refer to fake money as burritos.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 22, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Dumb question: Where is the money spent on transaction fees actually going? Is there someone making huge profit out of it, or is it just waste to discourage stress?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Nicehash consistently shows higher values, but don’t the transaction fees eat up that and more? I used it for a day and figured I wasted my time and should use Winminer instead.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

tehinternet posted:

That’s per day; it’s still 0.01BTC for weekly payouts.

The only change is in the past 24 hours they’ve disabled these. The good news is they seem to realize that they need alternatives and say they’re working toward it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Gobbeldygook posted:

I'm sure they will continue to "work on it" for the coming weeks. If you were them and planning to scam, what would you do differently from what they're doing?

The neat thing about being a person with one card you use to play games and maybe do this while you sleep, is that if you get scammed you don't really care because it was never very much money.

I'll just trust them because I can afford to. I have very little skin in the game.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

good news guys, the service run by a convict that stole 60 million dollars and just switched off daily payments is "aware of the issues" and is "working on it"

Peachfart posted:

Gotta love true believers. :allears:

I didn't know/care who runs these services because I'd never stake my livelihood on them.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

VelociBacon posted:

Those sites don't have 980ti's on them...

A 980ti is performance wise pretty equivalent to a 1070, but uses more power.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

DrDork posted:

Which would be cooler if they weren't still down almost 60% for the year after this 120% rally

This is excellent if you’re a Kodak executive looking to sell in the next, eh, less than two years...

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Winminer works, but I'm thinking of moving away not for the payouts but for the disgusting truth that it demands admin access.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Zero VGS posted:

When the admin prompt appears, you can just cancel out of it and WinMiner will run fine, which is how I do it.

Weird. When i get the blue UAC prompt and it hit no it never ever loads.

Kazinsal posted:

Winminer folks, what are you all set up for mining? It's autoselected ZEN on a 1080 Ti, wondering if there's something better.

You can either let it run or turn off express benchmark and let it run through a lot of things every 24 hours. The latest update allowed setting your own hash values manually and adjusting the bias of the script to change coins for power users, but if you're power user-ing the butts you're doing it wrong.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So, for those who forgot, last summer I turned an RX470 into a 1070 by selling to a miner and going a month without a graphics card earlier this year.

I.. uh, I'm feeling a strong compulsion to sell the 1070 I bought for $400 for $600 and just keep this going. God drat GPUs are weird.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

PerrineClostermann posted:

How are you going to sell a 1070 for 600?

Looked at eBay lately?

edit: That's sold listings, mind.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Paul MaudDib posted:

Friendly reminder that if you sell over eBay your buyers have up to 6 months to change their minds regardless of your return policy.

The much more liberal policy is 30 days, PayPal's more fair and demands that things be "significantly different" than what you advertise.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Winminer returns are bad enough last night that I turned it off yet again. I expected a lot more given that my card is so flippable right now.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I used to pay Self-Employment Tax, which starts (started?) at $400. The thing is, I think the occupation actually has to be a regular job.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

quote:

Payments to external wallets for balances greater than 0.01 BTC are in process!

Does this mean the end of the Wallet Dance?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Can you buy Gyft cards directly from a Nicehash wallet without having to do the Coinbase dance? I'd rather just mine to 1 mBTC so they'll put it in the wallet than have to mine to the 2mBTC that they want to transfer to Coinbase now.

I got to about 0.3 before realizing this isn't healthy for my GPU, so it's sort of throwing good after bad but that's life.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

DrDork posted:

Also, purely as a practical exercise, between this thread and the GPU thread, you'd think you'd have at least a few people bitching about how mining burned out their cards / they bought a busted up used card or whatever if it was actually A Thing. But, AFAIK, there hasn't been anyone complaining about much past a dying fan.

I had read a few stories searching for information where people described cards that had been used in mining as causing artifacts and graphical glitches and basically being useless. This happened to a friend with an HD4xx0 that he owned for four years and never mined with. I have better luck with GPUs in general but given that I couldn’t afford a second GPU at the price I paid let alone what they are now I got nervous.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Rich people usually have access to better education, and a lot of them fell for Bernie Madoff. Pyramid schemes are what they are, and especially in this day and age I don't think they're predominantly fruitful in just one country or region.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

DrDork posted:

Also, as George Carlin liked to say: "think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

It's amazing that he's using an even scale instead of a bell curve, and yet still this quote sees regular use. George, by being wrong, proved he was right.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

quote:

This is the worst day and I feel like making $5,000,000 by gambling on the crypto market with another loan before its too late and the prices go up again

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm going to maintain my position that PayPal FUD without any relevant horror stories is :rolleyes:

Cryptocurrency Mining Thread: All the wrong kinds of rampant speculation

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

QuarkJets posted:

Is that just because you want entertainment or do you not believe that people are getting scammed over GPU purchases?

There are scams, but the PayPal/EU consumer law thing is being vastly overstated in a thread where a lot of people sold GPUs successfully and nobody has been screwed over by that specific policy. Whereas, say, the 30-day eBay return policy actually has screwed sellers. It's understandable why people would assume with a cursory glance that it's the same thing but much longer, but eBay and PayPal have different policies and different qualifications and nobody has actually presented anything but FUD.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Phosphine posted:

I was looking at getting in on the free burritos, but to be able to cash out from coinbase they want me to upload a picture of my id. Why, what, no?

Buy a card from Gyft, which also accepts money on Coinbase. Don’t cash out.

If a retailer you like isn’t on Gyft, see if their gift card is on Amazon, because you can buy an Amazon card from Gyft and with it buy a card from Amazon. All of this is not as cool as USD you can spend anywhere you want, but that’s why people are talking about collecting burritos and not money. Because converting it into “real money” means taking these operations as seriously as you would your banking. And nobody wants to do that.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 29, 2018

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Mr. Wynand posted:

Are there any GPUs that are decent for gaming but poo poo for mining?

Probably better asked in the GPU thread, but GeForce 980 keeps pace with the 1060 while also wasting more power and thus being the kind of card miners would not covet for running forever since higher electric bills harms profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I’ve tried to figure out how that’s “great”, and I can’t.

• Locked thread