Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
RealVNC is spying on people's use? Because I use their Viewer to connect to a free server. Not crypto related in any way but now I'm concerned about something I use on my machine to talk to my other machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I guess I don't know what ssh is anymore because to me I imagine a terminal window and a command line prompt, which sort of defeats the purpose of a remote desktop.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Zero VGS posted:

I see this parroted every time it comes up; by that logic no one in the world should use Tor either

Yes? No one should use Tor, at least anyone in the US. Especially since if you're just trying to circumvent geoIP blocks there's specific utilities and services for that.

Even if you don't get arrested for what other people do with your internet connection, your ISP may disconnect you if you're found to be using it irresponsibly. In the US it's not a human right and heavily monopolized. If you've ever gotten DMCA warning letters for using a public :filez: tracker without a VPN, imagine what's going on if people are basically bouncing into your network to access highly illegal poo poo for them?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

what exactly do you think tor does?

Bounces my traffic around a bunch of different computers, eventually reaching the target server from a PC configured as an exit node?

In 2007, I used to use Tor to watch BBC News by configuring it with a UK based exit node to get around geoIP blocks in an age before everyone and their cousin was trying to watch other countries Netflix.

Zero VGS posted:

"it's not a human right and heavily monopolized", just because that's the case doesn't mean it's right. I'm the kinda person who roots for Snowden / Manning underdogs against Big Brother kind of stunts, and the only way that can work is if people are using Tor for mundane, innocent poo poo (which, when someone analyzed their exit node, it turned out to almost entirely be).

For instance, I knew someone in the US who used Tor + Bitcoin to buy prescription drugs that he actually needed and couldn't afford normally, because the US is hilariously hosed up in that regard. It helped him out immensely. That was all sorts of illegal, but for him it turned out to be the right decision. If you can't support that, might as well toss out your bongs while you're moralizing.

You can do what you want with the internet account you pay for. I can only advise you as to how I use mine. I used to use Tor + Vidalia to watch foreign TV and it's a service I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole anymore. I support software piracy in theory, but I wouldn't hop onto The Pirate Bay and seed everything I can grab to "stick it to the man" just because I "root for underdogs." The practical necessity of my connection and the reality of the framework I live in means my self-interest ("I need a connection to find a job") undermines any support I can provide ("I can't find a job online if I get dozens of DMCA warnings").

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 22, 2018

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Gynovore posted:

Your ISP can tell that you're using TOR if they decide to check. However, there's no big red light that flashes along with a message saying "Fred Jones is using TOR! He might be looking at something he shouldn't!!!"

In that effect it is my own paranoia to simply not get in trouble running a service I don't need, but specifically I was thinking of the risks of running a server configured as an exit node; in which case your connection could be the last leg of the relay, reaching into the dark web at someone else's behest.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Paul MaudDib posted:

That's a big comfort since coolant leaks are instadeath for the rest of the system.

Now I feel like my H80, which just passed the five year mark and is now outside of warranty (and probably always was since it was an open box model from Fry's), is a ticking bomb. Fortunately it's been running on "Quiet Mode" it's entire life at stock frequencies, but now I'm caught between "OC this 3770K or buy Zen+" and the expense of changing the AIO really doesn't do much to help.

The good news is that even at stock this has been a really good CPU that I've happy with for five whole years. So good that they seem to be resorting to not patching Spectre as leverage to push us into upgrading at last.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I realize this isn't the cooling thread, but EVGA debuted a 120mm cooler this week that MSRPs new for $20 less than their original one. It seems this cost savings was attained in removing RGB lights, which is kind of absurd.

Unfortunately, it only supports Intel right now.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
"A VRM keeps going hot and my computer is shutting off to try to save itself. Dealing with the problem would be hard, so I'm just resetting it and hoping applying more voltage will assist."

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Kazinsal posted:

Sell all but one of your video cards on eBay.

Don’t be foolish.

Tehinternet, I suggest you buy my 1070 SC2 and maybe that’ll solve the problem.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Folding and the SETI project kind of died off when C-states and low die sizes happened. It was okay to justify when your computer was running flat out regardless of what it was doing, but now it can mean an extra $30/mo on your power bill that you wouldn't have just by quitting the app.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Palladium posted:

"We currently only support Ubuntu 16.04 as a host's OS."

Ugh

If you just want to do it for a few days at a time, you can run Ubuntu off a USB liveinstall media and not write it to a partition.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It's almost like Nvidia listens to their clients more carefully than the rants of an e-celebrity.

That happened in mid-2012, and Nvidia's drivers were way better in late 2010 and early 2011 when I was using Linux as a daily desktop. In fact that was why I ripped out my 2600 Pro with a 460 instead a 5850 of whatever was popular at the time.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Linus is 48; and Ken Thompson created UTF-8 at about that age but oh god let's not have this discussion it's pretty clear you're operating outside of your usual pond.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I actually spoke up ahead of you to point out that not many people aside from a few evangelists are moved by Linus's "sick burns" and it certainly won't stop a company like Nvidia from doing what customers want from them. But the descent from there into open source drama natter is a conversation non-starter to a lot of people, and it's funny to see you condemning hot takes while issuing some of your own.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Paul MaudDib posted:

Who is in charge of Go, and when was their last rant?

The 70 year old guy you said retired in the last post.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Weirdly enough, the reason I engaged Paul in that back and forth had nothing to do with Torvalds, and more his reference to Poettering.

Torvalds is like a teenager who got old but didn't grow up, bitching about everything from GNOME3 to Nvidia and "dumpstering" people working on Linux is pretty much a thing he just does. Poettering simply upset a bunch of peoples value systems by proposing systems that make Linux more competitive with commercial operating systems at the expense of it's modular hierarchy and parity with other OSes.

In my experience the people who bitch about Poettering often have a large crossover with people who are still using 10 year old computers because they refuse to use UEFI and think "a BIOS shouldn't be able to do that much." I didn't really disagree with him about Torvalds being a loose cannon.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
My experience with mining, thanks to this thread:
* Ran my GPU for days
* Oh the transaction fee to Coinbase was raised, you’d have to mine twice as much to not have it stolen by NiceHash
* Mine 40% is the way or so on a second burrito to get there
* “Now you need to mine 3x as much as before! Transaction fees!”
* Give up, stop mining.
* “Transaction fees went down, you can now send your money to CoinBase”
* Send money to Coinbase successfully!
* Procrastinate on getting a Gyft card, Bitcoin thanks so hard my transaction is no longer able to meet Gyft’s $10 minimum.

In the end, I never tasted a burrito, I am stuck in an eternal hodl until either BTC hits $9,800 again or until Coinbase steals 60% of my money. NiceHash will inevitably have a security breach and lose the other 40%.

I basically saw all the bad of Bitcoin and I don’t mind too much. The only expense was a couple bucks of power and my GPU now making annoying noises when gaming!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Wellcum.... to BITCOIN

I mean at least the annoying noises can be RMAed, although I also don't think I can blame mining for coil whine. It just "feels" like the card wasquieter before I went mining. It's still in my warranty period either way.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Fame Douglas posted:

Well, UEFI actually is a terrible standard that's much too complex for its own good.

I mean you can have your own opinions about secure boot, but man oh man am I glad to have graphical interfaces instead of the appearance an 1985 dial-up BBS. And the thing where Windows's splash screen is merely a throbber under the mobo manufacturer's or your own is pretty sweet, too.

And as far as Hackintosh projects go, good god Clover EFI drive is much better than putting weird kexts into your system folder.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Uhh if it was an Asus, EVGA, Gigabyte, or MSI you were wrong about that "no warranty" thing.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Who the gently caress does that?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
nm, beaten

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I only finally made minimum transfer to Coinbase just in time for mining to collapse 48 hours later, so I made nothing! Hooray!

Can you buy $1 of Bitcoin from Coinbase? Without problems or opening your bank account to vulnerabilities? Because what I mined before it collapsed is now worth $9.37, and I need $10 to buy a gift certificate. We’re close to 10,000 but just never quite getting there.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Risky Bisquick posted:

Battlefront 2

Anyone playing that? I’m afraid the pay to win fiasco damaged it eternally.

Fauxtool posted:

overwatch because AMD still hasnt patched the stability issues on the biggest esport game.

AMD has issues with Fortnite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
What is hodl? Hanging On for Dear Life?

• Locked thread