Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
loving lol at someone discussing "useful to society" in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

In case you were wondering there are other totally worthless things people do with their spare computing power with even worse payouts. Some dude just discovered the largest known prime number, 2^77,232,917 − 1.

https://www.mersenne.org/primes/press/M77232917.html

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Things are back to where they were back in June which is wild, pretty much the last thing I expected to happen.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

I'm selling an RX580 and forgot to restrict it to US shipping now the top bidder is someone in Russia whose account name is just a long number and has zero feedback :lol: This same RX580 was sold before and the last person returned it after two months without opening the box, if it's returned again I'll probably just give up and use it for mining.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 10, 2018

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

https://twitter.com/chrisbhoffman/status/950861459302445056

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

New 1070s selling for $700 :stare: I wonder how much crazier this can get. Some new 1080Tis are up to Titan Xp pricing :lol:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Cinara posted:

Nicehash 1080ti is still over $9/day as of right now, feels pretty risk free with internal wallet -> Coinbase. With 1 full time 1080ti mining and one mining at night I can withdraw every other day for $25 or so.

What are the fees like right now?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Microcenter GPU case :lol:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

If you have Nvidia cards and Nicehash be sure to enable Nist5 which is disabled by default for some reason, it's been really profitable lately.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Alpha Mayo posted:

If anyone is sad about mining losing profitability, EVGA will pay you up to $10 a month to run Folding@Home for their team! You get paid in EVGA BUCKS too so you even get the thrill of not getting a real currency.

I spent a year folding before I got into mining and probably will do so again if mining ever just totally dies.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Nitrousoxide posted:

I honestly hope that the whole mining thing allows these pools to pivot into useful distributed computing being sold by the masses. There's a ton of really valuable processing that could be done by the off cycles in people's computers that could actually be quite useful and helpful to the world.

Yeah I agree there's just so much sheer computing power out there with all of these people buying high end GPUs that could be tapped into.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Even with much, much lower profits than currently GPUs were still overpriced, I wouldn't expect to a big price crash and selloff unless mining becomes literally unprofitable.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Can you think of any current global issue with encouraging people to run high-end PC components 24/7 regardless of the task

Mining is a big waste of electricity but there's a lot of HPC work to be done and if it's not done on consumer hardware it will just be done on supercomputers.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Good, that is where it belongs. Consumer hardware is trash.

Fair enough but the problem is other than in China supercomputers don't seem to be a high priority for government investment.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

When running multiple Nvidia cards sometimes I could just throw it in and sometimes I'd have to reinstall the driver, using DDU before installing it would probably be the best bet. I only ran into issues when trying to run AMD and Nvidia cards in the same computer but I was able to get that working after messing with it for a while.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

With NVIDIA you’d theoretically install the latest GeForce drivers and it would figure out which cards you have and work seamlessly.

In reality you should wipe everything clean with DDU and pray that installing the drivers recognizes your cards, otherwise you have to repeat the driver cleanup and drop them in one at a time and see which one’s the problem.

Yeah that's all I did, just installed the latest from the Nvidia website and never had any issues with recognition. DDU is pretty quick and easy to do though so that's the way to go to be sure.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Starting to feel better about selling all of my GPUs but now that I said that mining will probably blow up again next week.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Boy was my timing good for once, just hope the people who bought my poo poo don't try to return it now. The one I shipped to Russia a couple weeks back is still in transit :lol:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Lmao $2.70/day on a 1080 Ti this is the lowest I have ever seen

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Meanwhile the Russian dude who bought my RX580 a month ago got his card today which now makes about 1/4 as much mining as it did when he bought it :lol:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

My friend bought a $6k mining rig a month ago and he hasn't even got it fully working properly yet :lol:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

https://twitter.com/lachlan/status/...er%3D979%23pti1

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Nicehash is making enough so that I'm no longer contemplating turning off my computer.

To the moon!

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Lube banjo posted:

there's nothing to suggest that nvidia is going to release new consumer graphics cards this year. they could milk their 1080 series for another 3 years and AMD still wouldn't be able to match

It would make more economic sense to release a new card and get people to upgrade rather than just do nothing, keep in mind that gaming is still Nvidia's highest revenue segment.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

I bought a used buttminer 1060 3GB on ebay for $190 and they sent a 1060 6GB :lol:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

You can do folding and get a little money, do :science:, and heat your room at the same time. I liked it because I got to sperg out over the performance of various cards on various different projects over time and stuff.

• Locked thread