Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I got free electricity included in my lease. Is it safe to have my two computers mine while I'm at work? I'm afraid of something blowing up and causing a fire while I'm not at my apartment. I'd rather not mine when I'm home because the heat would be annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I'm trying to flip my 1070 for the price I paid for a year ago. Just last month i was ready to let it go for $250. God bless miners

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

They signed a loving lease lol

Who approved of this lease in the first place

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

It's easier to use Craigslist when flipping cards. I was able to flip my year old GTX 1070 for the same price I paid for when Pascal first came out.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

I did this on a whim on my laptop.

It was a loving mistake.

(If I was de-lidding a CPU I would absolutely use the liquid metal, but in any situation where there's a chance it can get elsewhere? Nah. Not at all worth. Even for CPUs, it's the same price to just buy from Silicon Lottery in the first place and have them do it vs buying the tools and supplies to de-lid your own).

Liquid Metal for thin laptops with pascal cards is definitely worth the effort. You just have to be super careful with doing it.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I am so happy that I was able to sell my GTX 1070 for the price I paid for a year ago when Pascal first came out due to mining.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

MaxxBot posted:

Mother fucker, guy who bought my card on eBay is trying to scam me by falsely claiming that the card is defective. Is there anything I can do?

This is why I always sell electronics on Craigslist

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

I don't understand the scam in that post; the seller gets his card back and the buyer gets his money back, who's getting scammed here exactly?

Is he implying that the buyer is a mole planted by FedEx to get people to ship video cards back and forth?

He has to pay for return shipping which isn't cheap so it's still a net loss

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I saw that video card prices have risen again. I have a computer with a 1080 Ti and another with a 1060.i have free electricity at my condo, is nice hash the way to go still for free burritos? I remember mining during the summer but stopped after a month when it crashed, it was nice to get free lunch of ot though, what’s the go to for someone who just wants USD or gift cards for food?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

DrDork posted:

Winminer is the easiest way to get USD, as it spits it out directly to PayPal or Amazon giftcards. It does take a substantial cut for this convenience, though. Their website has basic performance tracking and monitoring. They turned off accepting new users for a while, unsure what the current status is.

Nicehash pays more, but forces you to take your pay as BTC on an internal (read: insecure) wallet. With a 1080Ti you can probably sweep that out to Coinbase every few days, but that is also an internal wallet. Thankfully for those in the US, you can easily sell BTC on Coinbase for a nominal fee and have it deposited to your bank account. Their website has basic performance tracking and monitoring. They got "hacked" recently and had everyone's money stolen, so there's that.

MiningPoolHub pays on par with Nicehash, and effectively pays you out in whatever buttcoin you want, but again to an internal (read: insecure) wallet. You have to transfer it elsewhere (at a lower fee than many other places) if you want to sell it. Their website has minimal to no performance tracking or monitoring. Unlike the other two, you need to use a 3rd party tool (like AwesomeMiner) to actually do the mining, making it slightly more complex to get started with.

Other considerations: Nicehash's 2.x client does not respect any --intensity flags, so it will happily eat 100% of your resources when running, making your computer largely unresponsive. Winminer, MPH, and Nicehash 1.8.x do not do this, and are generally better choices if you want to still use your computer while mining, vs running a dedicated box.

Thanks for the summary on how much I missed from this summer! I really appreciate it.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Apparently I had 0.01 left in my CoinBase account that I forgot about. It was like worth $15 so I forgot about it. Now its like ~$130? I might just use nicehash again

oh god am I getting suckered in?

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Are you mining cryptocurrencies for yourself or are you letting someone like Nicehash pay you for hashing power?

If using Nicehash, do you report this on taxes, even if you don't sell the bitcoin?

Mining yourself = no report

but if you use nicehash, I'm guessing you report?

I haven't reached the $600 (no where close) but it's good info

• Locked thread