Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Fruit Chewy posted:

Edit: ALSO I've been running this random modified version of nicehash because it added dual mining eth+sia for nvidia cards (which isn't worth doing on my card it turns out) but it also happened to add 'ewbf' - another equihash miner - which is somehow like 15% faster than excavator on my card. Worth looking into if you're doing majority equihash on an nvidia card.
So what is this modified version called?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

Does NiceHash for Linux even exist? My beef is specifically with the "program that downloads arbitrary code from the internet and runs it on your GPU" part, I think the risk of the actual official Github repositories being trojans is extremely low. And based on what people are saying about "trying a new version of Nicehash with better optimizations" I might have misunderstood how NiceHash works (although it still strikes me as a quasi-shady program overall). I am just relatively paranoid about this and would prefer to run relatively trusted builds from source where possible rather than "Free Internet Money Program, Just Run Me!". I lived through the early days of the internet and don't trust that poo poo.
Yeah no I don't think you've grasped what nicehash is. Nicehash basically just installs a bunch of different cryptominers and keeps track of which would currently make you the most, automatically switching which one is running at any given time. Most of these miners are open source. There are some proprietary closed source miners included but the first time you run nicehash it warns you that those ones are proprietary and points you to the setting in options which lets you turn off proprietary miners, limiting yourself to only open source miners. So if you're paranoid you can stick with only open source miners. Of course nicehash itself could potentially be malicious and nobody realizes it yet, but this applies to literally any new software you ever download whether it's got anything to do with buttcoins or not. If you want to go to a higher level of paranoia you can just manually set up an open source miner without using anything like nicehash, but at that point you probably should never install any proprietary software for any non-buttcoin purpose because any of that could be malicious too.

edit: wait, brain fart - I forgot nicehash itself is open source too. So ignore part of the last thing I said

Col.Kiwi fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 21, 2017

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
Yeah please do not buy any hardware for mining hoping to pay it off, that is absurdly insanely risky. Mining free money with the hardware that you already own for gaming or for whatever is smart because if the whole thing collapses tomorrow you've lost nothing, buying hardware for mining purposes is very stupid

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

Just out of curiosity, how much electricity does it use relative to sitting here posting on the forums, or goofing around in Overwatch or something?

The only halfway reasonable offers on GPUs are being snapped up so hard I feel like I need to pay too much for one and mine with it until I've reach equilibrium with how much I was willing to spend. I told myself I did the right thing here but the Steam sale is on and I want to get some games happening here.
Electricity costs vary a LOT depending where you live and are worth considering. Where I live it is literally a few bucks a month to run my GPU at full tilt 24/7. I have some of the cheapest power in north america and elsewhere in NA it could be up to 4x as expensive.

If you go here https://www.nicehash.com/?p=calc
You can choose your GPU, change the wattage if you know you've set up an overclock that uses more power, enter your electricity cost from your electricity bill and see what it would cost you per day/month to run your GPU all the time.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

PerrineClostermann posted:

I find my 1070 inadequate at 2560x1080, which is pretty close to 1080p. But I also have a 2600k so...
This is getting pretty off topic for the buttcoin thread but 2560x1080 is 33% more pixels than 1920x1080 (ie 1080p). Whereas 2560x1440 (ie 1440p) is like 75% more. You're closer to 1080p than 1440p but only just barely, you're pretty close to the halfway point.

• Locked thread