Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
Why are you guys contributing to some scammy mining pool full of piss? :confused:

Why don't goons have their own pool for internet points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
what's with this selling hash rate stuff?

is there actually someone out there buying this abstraction or are the people who run it just taking all the hash power into their pool and skiming off a bunch of effortless gains

why come there's no goon mining pool?

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
what'da ya all thinks gonna happen when ETH goes PoS

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Spatial posted:

Years ago on some bitcoin forum or other, a guy called Pirateat40 ran a huge ponzi scheme. At the time he had accumulated almost 7% of all bitcoins in circulation; big enough to attract major attention. This earned him a wire fraud conviction and an 18 month prison sentence.

On the forum where he was reeling in his fish there was another person staunchly defending Pirate, having bought into his scam, and also running their own similar scheme. This person, Raphael Nicolle, is the founder of Bitfinix. :)

:staredog: :shittypop:

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
wouldn't it be more like blockbuster but instead of vhs its your processing cycles?

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
what if someone is renting your GPU cycles to generate hyper realistic renderings of a district attorney having sex with a goat what are the implications here

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
what kind of dumbass is using nice hash to the loss of the two extra layers of middle men moochers

just go mine the obscure internet pog protocols god drat you're on an internet forum figure this poo poo out

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Fauxtool posted:

the correct way to hold worthless garbage is in all bitcoin. All the other coins are compared to bitcoin and follow its value.

hey grandpa jfyi bitcoins are obsolete, time to get with the times and get megabytecoins

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
Still kinda sad there's no goon mining pool.

Nicehash seems to be a blackbox run by those mysterious and nefarious ruskies. :krakentoot:

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
China's banning of the exchanges apparently didn't affect the market. If tether and Buttfinex collapse, that just makes bitcoins more rare!! Especially if they were insolvent this whole time merely shuffling deposits in some shell game.

Really though, the markets are insane and you'd think technical limitations, or hundreds of alternative iterations with better features might drive more dynamic market behavior but when I'm hearing random idiots on the street try to describe to their friends why bitscoin is a groundbreaking technological innovation that will rival global finance institutions and all you need to do is get some and sit on it... I wonder what it will take, to actually crash the bubble.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

divabot posted:

that the Chinese exchanges were promptly removed from most places' weighted averages they called the "price" two months before they stopped trading, thus meaning the expected price correction signal was cut off before anyone could see it, is totally not a transparent market manipulation and is actually good news for bitcoin,

presumably the supply would be "dumped" back onto the market but that didn't happen immediately or rapidly enough to plow through the existing exchanges.

the shoe shine boy thing only makes sense partially, mass adoption is a reasonable goal and because really cryptoledger pogs accept the imaginary asset as rival to the paper tokens we're used to using for exchange. i get bitcoin can't handle transaction volume and fees are stupidly prohibitive but the marketing has shifted the goal posts. there's another bucket list of other atrocious design flaws but I'm starting to consider this tire fire database thing might have value in the collective blind faith of the masses. as long as we just keep shoveling coal into this money printing machine things will be good

the weird thing to me is there's a few other improved iterations and more to be produced every year so uh..

also i have to wonder where and how the thousands of stolen coins are being dumped and passed off to

Computer Serf fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Nov 22, 2017

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Boris Galerkin posted:

I put my email into a waitlist for some app and it sent me approximately $2 in ETH to a Coinbase account that I created. How do I convert this ETH internet money into BTC butt money? Do I really need to go ETH > USD > BTC or can I skip the USD part somehow?

Bittrex is a Nevada based exchange and seems to be the least shady so far. Kraken might work too. if you use changely or shifty or whatever those services are, they charge higher fees on conversion.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Risky Bisquick posted:

It's basically SETI@home or protein folding but instead of stats for e-cred, you get e-money

except protein folding is applicably useful work that benefits humanity, versus proof of waste space heaters

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Risky Bisquick posted:

So I built a thing, total cost was like 7 bucks

1gnoirents posted:

Wood cases work the best next to curtains. The curtains act as a air ram directly into the gpu increasing mh/s but only when overvolted

anyone recommend any good curtains?

polyblends preferred

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

1gnoirents posted:

On the electricity thing, bitcoin is worth so much money now that being upset about electricity cost is getting a little irrelevant. You're going to have to also compare the electricity costs to run financial networks at this point, while not apples to apples, its not like its being pissed into the wind anymore. Unless you think money is worthless and shouldn't consume resources, which is another topic.

hey true believer, I'll bet you ten satoshis you don't even use your "money" because it's effectively worthless for anything other than riding a beanie baby pyramid scheme

comparing bitcoin to financial networks is comically stupid if not just for how pitiful bitcoins limitation on transactions per 10 minute chucks is gimped at, but the watts per transaction is retarded, like enough to power a US household for day just for altering numbers in a database

bitcoin and "proof of work" is literally intended to waste excessive amounts of computer work as millions of computers across the world scream and fart out guesses to a silly puzzle for the sake of keeping an accounting system running

you could compare bitcoin to other distributed database systems but please don't advocate for the legitimising of an insanely wasteful beanie baby pyramid scheme database without even questioning if it merits improvement

im surprised it's lasted this long and if the energy usage continues to get out of hand, it'll be worth regulating the gently caress out of any business touching it

Computer Serf fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 11, 2017

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
soylent is garbage

i drink this because a doctor signed his name on it and time is the most valuable crypto asset

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

thegasman2000 posted:

I have a different set of goals for my mini mining rig... I want to heat my house. Basically my house has poo poo heating and I currently use my tumble dryer in conjunction with some oil filled radiators to heat it. I am thinking my lovely PC my son uses for youtube could get a GPU upgrade to make it a miner and heat the upstairs of my digs. Its main requirement would be to payback the price of electricity which here in the UK is high. Any ideas on the card I should go for? It obviously doesn't need to be amazing buy HOT = GOOD.

make sure your motherboard has a compatible pci 16 slot, PSU with proper expansion plugs and enough watt capacity.

radeon rx series runs hot
might also consider the nvidia gtx 1080ti

check the inside of your case to assure there's enough headroom for drying fruits

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Bloody Antlers posted:

I was thinking of doing something like creating an old school bitcoin faucet site that looks like it has been chilling in some corner of the internet since 2012 unnoticed, which pays out like $100 per user in coins every 24 hours. After nerds notice it's fully functional & it goes viral, I would add a captcha that uses characters from the Voynich Manuscript. Then I'd harvest an image of the captcha presented to the user, as well as the response given. The final version of the site would just be a transcript of these attempts to approximate Voynich in QWERTY.

:wth:

please do the needful

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Craptacular! posted:

Doesn't that require downloading your own copy of the ginormous blockchain file? I remember one GBS "why Bitcoin sucks" thread talked about how the thing wasn't going to scale as that file became freakin' enormous, and I just assume these sites existed to host and handle it for you.

it's just the private key and public address associated. you only need to sync the buttchain to view current balances

by using a website or wallet software you're trusting those services to use free market maths and to not actually backdoor your key https://pastebin.com/jCDFcESz

the only way you handle your bitscoin is by solving the Byzantine generalist problem with a pencil and paper please avoid statist calculators

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

1gnoirents posted:

Last time we had a massive backlog that cleared the price of buttcoin went up $10000

Fyi ;)

same thing happened when ethereum cryptokitties clogged the fintech ssmrt contract network of the future

:thunk:

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Stealthgerbil posted:

Gridcoin is legit but no one mines it because its not profitable.

Pretty sure Gridcoin is just PoWaste slapped onto the occasional Actual Work because in an adversarial distribute computing network it's hard to prevent spammers submitting false work shares for complicated problems. Golem is trying something similar but faces the same issue.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
someone FINALLY did a rent-your-GPU-for-payments brokerage thing. folding@home for beans, no USD direct yet though.

u/edge_of_the_eclair posted:

Rent out your GPU compute to AI researchers and make ~2x more than mining the most profitable cryptocurrency.

As a broke college student who is currently studying deep learning and AI, my side projects often require lots of GPUs to train neural networks. Unfortunately the cloud GPU instances from AWS and Google Cloud are really expensive (plus my student credits ran out in like 3 days), so the roadblock in a lot of my side projects was my limited access to GPU compute.

Luckily for me, I had a friend who was mining Ethereum on his Nvidia 1080 ti's. I would Venmo him double what he was making by mining Ethereum, and in return he would let me train my neural networks on his computer at significantly less than what I would have had to pay AWS.

So I thought to myself, "hmm, what if there was an easy way for cryptocurrency miners to rent out their GPUs to AI researchers?"

As it turns out, a lot of the infrastructure to become a mini-cloud provider is pretty much non-existent. So I built Vectordash - it's a website where can you list your Nvidia GPUs for AI researchers to rent out - sort of like Airbnb but for GPUs. With current earnings, you can make about 3-4x more than you would make by mining the most profitable cryptocurrency.

You simply run a desktop client and list how long you plan on keeping your machine online for, and if someone is interested, they can rent it out and you'll get paid for the duration they used it for. You can still mine whatever you like since the desktop client will automatically switch between mining & hosting whenever someone requests to use your computer.

I'm still gauging whether or not GPU miners would be interested in something like this, but as someone who often finds themselves having to pay upwards of $20 per day for GPUs on AWS just for a side project, this would help a bunch.

If you have any specific recommendations, just comment below. I'd love to hear what you guys think!

(and if you're interested in becoming one of the first GPU hosts, please fill out this form - https://goo.gl/forms/ghFqpayk0fuaXqL92)

Once you've filled out the form, I'll be sending an email with installation instructions in the next 1-2 days!

Cheers!

:cheerdoge:

https://vectordash.com/hosting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Fame Douglas posted:

That seems like a cool feature. Aren't people always complaining about the Management Engine being a black box no one can really flash anything to lacking the keys from Intel? AMD just needs to market this the right way.

:pseudo:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread