Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Virtually nothing if you keep track of thermals. I've run GPUs and CPUs 24/7 for months at a time doing other stuff before bitcoin mining was a thing. I lowered the overclock on my 1080 to 1974MHz to keep the temperature under 75C because the 24/7 load of mining is harder than games that tend to swing demands all over. I was barely seeing 70C at 2050MHz in games. Nvidia rates their cards for up to 91C, but they're also rating those temperatures at stock speeds so I don't feel like letting my 2050MHz 1080 see 80C.

There's also people who bought used 290s after they'd been used for years for mining when people were panic selling them during one of the other bitcoin crashes and those people haven't had bad experiences.

Technically I did have a fan die a couple days into starting trying out mining, but it was a fan that already failed once that I tried rebuilding 2 years ago by packing the bearings with grease to make it stop vibrating and coincidentally it died right when I tried out mining.

Don't CPU mine, unless your power is free you'll only lose money.

My stats: I'm making about 60 dollars a week from a 1080 and a 980 against about 17 dollars a week in power use.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fauxtool posted:

in the OP it talks about making the different algorithms not max out the gpu so you can still use the computer.
It covers the ccminer and excavator ones but not the DaggerHashimoto (ethminer) which is what my 1070 seems to spend the most time mining. How do i make that less system intensive?

I haven't been able to figure out how to do it with that one, it might be straight up unsupported.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paul MaudDib posted:

Consider the following: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1742287615000559

NVIDIA's drivers are a little better about not allowing super dumb poo poo but overall GPUs are designed around a "high performance computation" model. For example on non-ECC NVIDIA GPUs, hardware ties into the host in kernel mode for performance, memory is not zero'd between reallocation between programs, etc. And yes, in general it's like working on a microcontroller sometimes, boundaries and fault conditions that you expect in CPU world may or may not exist. This isn't a model built around an assumption of possible bad actors, it's close to the metal by design.

Would you really notice an OpenCL/CUDA thread quietly cryptolockering your files in the background, and stopping when it sees logging/tracing/mouse movement/etc? Most people aren't locked down that far.

This is a good reminder not to do it on important systems. It also reminded me to make sure my important files are backed up, but for my game computers I feel alright about having to format them.

Malware is where the real money is, people running Nicehash would probably have some bitcoins to pay ransoms and not running mining on your own PC is the most direct way to free power.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope it's not smart enough and tries to throw a ransom when it finishes encrypting my 512GB SSD instead of finishing my whole 12TB NAS.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not going to try out forks until there have been at least a couple days of people reporting they're happy with them, but if someone wants to experiment with it themselves, both the Claymore and EWBF miners support intensity settings and the Claymore one should replace the Daggerhashimoto miner that doesn't support intensity settings. There's probably a value you can find that'll result in no system lag, if no one gets around to it I'll experiment with it in a few days if people are happy with the latest version and figure out how to best get it running in a completely ignorable way in the background.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Everyone's PC will be different, but mine uses about 50 watts while mostly idle looking at web pages and about 250 watts while mining.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The 290s turned out fine. Hardware is usually made to be used. I know people who bought 200 dollar 290s in 2014 when people were panic selling them that were still using those cards very recently, until they sold them for more than they paid and updated to a 1070 basically for free.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Checked in on how my machines were doing, after 2 weeks looks like it might be about time to me to bow out. Made about 100 dollars which was fun, but now my 980 is doing about 2.50 a day and my 1080 about 4 dollars a day. I'll probably drop out my 980 next week and my 1080 might get one extra week. See you next bubble!

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's the whole consumer cards not supposed to be for compute thing. I showed how to mod Maxwells in the OP, but right now Pascals are uncracked. If anyone manages to crack the bios flashing protection on Pascal I'll get the mod going there too, though because there's no tools for it you'd have to edit the bios manually in a hex editor.

I've done a lot of poking at drivers and software trying to get P0 state during compute and they've made a pretty explicit choice to lock that out if you don't have at least a Quadro. So far every software edit I've been able to come up with at best does nothing and at worst requires safe mode and the drivers getting reinstalled.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I made 100 dollars in Amazon money against 20 dollars in electricity. It's not profitable anymore, but I'll start up again the next time there's a bubble.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's covered in the OP. Use Nicehash so you don't need to know anything about the like dozens of coin markets or whatever people are doing, use the calculator, plug in your GPU, your electricity costs, and see how nothing's worth running anymore.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not bothering if I'm not at least doubling my electricity costs because of the extra overhead of fees from cashing out and the waste of time. I technically could still run my 1080 and 980 for profit, but instead of getting like 50 dollars a week against 10 dollars in electricity, it'd be closer to 20 dollars a week and that's not worth it to me.

I was getting 50 dollars a week as recently as last week and now it's not worth it, I don't think it gets any more recent than that.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

cheese-cube posted:

How much did you invest for that gain?

About 10 dollars a week. I was really conservative about my electrical costs because I didn't want to lose money, but instead of my initial estimates of around 15 dollars a week it was 10 a week.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

cheese-cube posted:

So if I understand this right ya'll have expended a not-insignificant amount of time to earn less in a week than you'd usually get for an hour of work at min wage?

That's the reason for Nicehash. You don't need to know anything. That was the big thing stopping me before, I wasn't going to watch markets and know stuff about bitcoins. It takes like 10 minutes to set up and you don't need to pay attention to anything. This is all covered in the OP too.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

cheese-cube posted:

You buy electricity you dinguses. Unless you live with your parents then they are going to be annoyed that you're increasing the power bill whilst squirreling away fantasy currency which has an effective value equivalent to one tenth of the cost of the power bill.

50>10

I spend thousands of dollars a year through Amazon. For me at least, Amazon credit is as good as cash.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

cheese-cube posted:

First one, then the other, but now the first one. Yeah, I'm dense for questioning the infinitesimally small ROI for an activity that has a non-zero startup cost for investing effort in something that follows the law of diminishing returns and will inevitably (And rapidly) end up with negative returns.

Also the end product is a currency that may as well be worthless. And at some point you'll either be scammed and/or robbed because that literally comes with the territory.

It's all covered in the OP. Don't buy hardware, check if it's profitable, convert to something you can use as soon as possible.

I think a lot of people would doubt that Amazon credit is worthless or a scam. Doesn't really matter now, for most people it's not profitable anymore. but if it was last week you'd be giving up free money (or not if you never use Amazon?).

I'll definitely be running my computer 24/7 again if I can get 50 dollars a week from it again though. It seems crazy to not want free money.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Junior Jr. posted:

Haven't tested this out yet, but if NiceHash is going to keep your CPU and GPU at 100%, can you still run other applications like games or Adobe CS and still keep your PC stable? Last time I did this with CCminer on my 1080Ti, I ran a couple of Steam games, normally they'd run up to 90-120 FPS, and they dropped down to 30-40 FPS while I was mining.

So is it okay to multi-task or should I just leave my cards mining?

Don't CPU mine unless you're getting power for free somehow. In the OP there are settings for allowing you to run the miners with a low enough priority you won't notice any performance hit for general computer use.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
He spent 4,100 dollars a couple days ago on another mining purchase. In only 2 years he'll break even! Then he'll show everyone.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think 1070s might flash crash to 200 for a month as everyone panic sells like they did with 290s. That seems like a really good budget upgrade option for a lot of people.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I found a hacky solution to getting P0 state under compute with Pascal. Remember the bug with mismatched monitor refresh rates and locking Nvidia GPUs to high power states? It overrides the slowdown that compute normally causes. If you have a 120Hz monitor and anything else to plug in if you set one to 120 and another to 60 you'll get the full memory speed. One weird tip if it's ever worth it to mine again.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bitcoins taking bad packaging to all new levels.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fauxtool posted:

what is the exact command line to lower intensity for equihash EWBF?
I am using --intensity= 17 and it doesnt seem to do anything. On the other pools that use that command it will take my GPU down to 88% or so. On EWBF its 99% all the time even if I try --intensity= 1

For EWBF the command is

quote:

-i mining intensity. Possible values: 0...4. 0 - lowest intensity and CPU usage, 4 - maximal intensity. You can also specify values for every card, for example "-i 4,2,4". Default value is "4".

Mining isn't worth it for me anymore so haven't tested what would be ideal for using a PC with no performance hit.

Edit: Oh, I see there's another fork that uses --intensity. This is what I was talking about documentation being poor to bad.

Edit 2: And yet another fork:

quote:

Fixed:

EWBF extra launch parameters not working

craig588 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 28, 2017

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I spent 20,000 dollars installing a solar station, but I got a contract where I can sell back for the same rate I pay so it doesn't matter what I'm doing with my power.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have no idea how people can sleep in hot rooms, but they had like 16 GPUs running in the middle of summer and somehow fell asleep in the heat they're outputting. He posted about waking up and seeming to have heat stroke, then as bad heat stroke can do the hospital reported he had brain damage.

It was extra dumb because he said he owned an air conditioner but felt lazy about installing it. He wasn't even trying to be cheap, he came close to dieing from being lazy.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Summer plus a 3,500 watt space heater probably gets to incredibly hot temperatures.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Craptacular posted:

The Nicehash profitability table says a 1070 will mine ~$3.70 a day, but my Nicehash miner I've been running on my 1070 for a couple days has been doing about $2.40-$2.80 a day.

Is the profitability table off, or is something wrong with my setup?

Are you using my low priority settings? It's a trade off for being able to use your computer and never notice it's running in the background.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The manufacturer will "test" them for you until they're not profitable than happily send you off your now worthless ASICs confidant they will not blow up. There is no circumstance where buying hardware for mining makes sense, at best you got lucky if you did turn a profit, the odds were better that you'd lose money. Use whatever gaming hardware you have laying around, get 30-50 dollars a week and ride it until it's not worth it for your power costs. Start up again when there's another bubble or the next generation of hardware comes out (that you were buying for games anyways) and it's worth it again for a few weeks.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

1gnoirents posted:

Something weird happened maybe an hour ago to both my miners. They are in two different machines in two different locations but this happened at the same time. My 1080ti was putting out ~1.9 mBTC a day and my 1080 was doing ~1.6. The power usage graph, temperatures, etc are generally constant and I have a good idea what they always are. Suddenly the power usage started fluctuating a lot, I actually noticed it because the miner sitting next to me started making audible variable coil whine that matched up with the power usage graph. The temperature dropped 4 degrees, the core clock dropped a bit where its no longer boosting as much as it was, and on both machines and the output dropped about 0.4 mBTC. I restarted them, changed miners, and it nothing seems to have "fixed" it.

Now the GPU usage graphs still show pegged at 100% and the mining rates don't seem off either. It's weird to me that this is happening in two different places with different miners on different cards ... I'm not sure what to make of it.

This is unrelated, but if you want to test something with your 1080 for me try downloading the latest build of Nvidia Inspector https://ci.appveyor.com/project/Orbmu2k/nvidiaprofileinspector/build/artifacts and disabling Cuda - Force P2 state under section 5 - Common (If you haven't used Nvidia inspector before make sure you hit apply in the top right corner). See if the driver obeys that setting and changes your memory speed from 4514 back to 5004 while running Nicehash. I don't have Nicehash installed anymore because it's not worth it for me with my power costs anymore or I'd test it myself, but I'd love to finally find a reliable way to speed up everyones memory on Pascal cards.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't have the Ti, but I got a Zotac 1080 Amp Extreme and it had the worst fans I've ever had on a high end videocard. The only reason I kept it was because I get GPUs on launch and it was months before anything else was in stock. My solution was replacing the stock fans with some Dell branded ones that were much quieter and pushed a lot more air. I wish I knew the model numbers of them, but all I know is I pulled them out of my salvaged fan box and they just say 12V and the current they draw on them.

I don't know if the Ti cooler is better, but my experience with the normal 1080 version was so poor I'm probably not going to get another Zotac card for at least a couple generations to give them a chance to rethink their cooling solution.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
You can even buy mining equipment. Once you tell people they can waste money on hardware then it'll take off.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I had a couple thoughts about telling people how easy it was and how to overclock memory. In one sense I thought I'd lose money because it's all a competition, but in another I figured I'd rather get people I "know" some extra dollars and possibly get a few cents less myself rather than having as much as possible go to anonymous Chinese millionaires with those huge warehouses.

Last week would have been worth it for me, but it was so on the edge of profitability I didn't want to run for 3 days then have the rate fall and that power was wasted. My break point is at 4 dollars a day, less than that it seems like the odds are good enough that the rate will fall to pointless again. Technically I could be profitable as low as 2 dollars a day, but I'm not going to put in the effort for like 10 dollars a week of profit, it still takes like a half hour to cash out.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Down 500 dollars overnight.

The worst thing about bitcoins is making me click my 1080 profitability bookmark and check every day to see if it'll ever be back to 10 dollar a day levels. Even when it was 4,500 dollars people weren't paying anything for mining, only like 2 something.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I bought 1 bitcoin when it was around 1 dollar and sold it when it was at around 800. (actually it was around 1,000, but the only way I could figure out how to turn it into cash at the time had fees to make it like 800 something) I just wanted to try a weird internet thing and 1 dollar was so low I didn't have to care about it just to be a part of this weird internet thing.

The only way I can recommend someone trying out this weird internet thing now though is according to the OP. Check profitability, see if it's worth it to you. It's not to me, but every day I hope for a return to 10 dollars a day.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The real way to making your money back with solar is getting good at negotiating. I got the same deal Solar City was able to get but I own all of my equipment. The big thing Solar City has going on is they get 100% of the cost of the electricity produced while individual people are supposed to get a fraction of the value of the power they produce making renting from Solar City which is a bad deal to start with a slightly better deal since you're getting better returns from it. If I use a megawatt hour or if I use nothing at all I effectively am paid the same thing. I'd hate to be in a situation where I had to figure out ways to make sure I used all of the generated solar power. I think even if you sucked at negotiating and you instead paid a lawyer or management firm to handle it for you you'd still break even way sooner than dealing with bitcoins to try to optimize your power use.

What's that analogy? Putting tape on cracks in a dam? Bitcoins to optimize solar power use is just hiding a fundamental problem instead of dealing with it. I see all these people saying they're doing it because of bad solar payment deals and then acting smart as if that's the only possible solution.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Last time I looked at it their fees were like twice using an external wallet and the only benefit was the lower payout time but with the transaction fees I was only cashing out weekly in 50 dollar increments anyways to try to minimize those. They might have changed it up again though, when it was still profitable they seemed to change up their wallet fees every month. They used to have a fee for spending from their wallet, but if they've removed or lowered that, or other wallets are higher now it might be worth it now.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
How's your card cooling? Memory doesn't put off much heat at all, but the PCB conducts heat away to the memory chips pretty well and they are temperature sensitive. I find I'm able to get a few hundred more MHz by upping the GPU cooling.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I can do +385 without losing performance, but I can technically go to +700 with performance getting worse and no crashing or obvious artifacting.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
For cost/profit it's best to lower the power limit as much as possible while overclocking memory because it uses virtually no power. If you want to be lazy about it (like me) I left my 1080 on its game overclock settings, you're not giving up a lot, but you probably are doubling power use for only 15% more mining rates. You have really cheap power so it might be more profitable to leave it on max overclocked settings.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just wanted to get some people 10 dollars a day back when you could do that. Everyone still going at these 2 dollar a day rates seems too desperate. 50 dollars a week after fees was hard to argue with. Maybe 10 dollars a week now after fees seems like a waste of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The reason you're losing P0 states for compute is intentional. Nvidia doesn't want their consumer cards competing too heavily with their Quadros and Teslas. I trashed a Windows installation many times trying to hack on the drivers to work around that limitation. It came back as a driver level setting for a little while, but it almost seemed like a mistake or something they overlooked for use in testing because it wasn't noted in change logs when it came back and they quietly removed it without noting it either. One of those bitcoin people needs to figure out an exploit to get around Pascal's bios protection and I'll make a bios for it that works around the P0/P2 state limitation at the firmware level. For a while I was hoping by being really public about the stuff you can do with modding Maxwell bioses I might get someone from the bitcoin scene interested in cracking Pascal, but nothing came of it. All of the normal overclocking and hardware enthusiast people have already given up trying to crack it.

• Locked thread