Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Declining flood coverage saved me 2 dollars a month!

I actually basically had that happen to me and it's only my fault so I feel okay about it. I turned down some sort of optional coverage for only a couple dollars a month and then not even 6 months after I turned it off it would have paid out a couple thousand in repairs. Oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I used to work at an office with a dual Tesla machine, it ran pretty much 24/7 and any day it was off it was notably colder in the room it shared. Only like 600 watts, but that's like a small space heater and usually you're not running a space heater 24/7.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Maybe a side effect will be Youtube and Twitch getting better video players so they can waste more cycles for themselves instead of on the video player.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I used to own a dual K20 machine and the thought of using that for mining is a joke. It was computing for so much more money for its real job and once that job ended I sold it. You should sell the K40, mining is all optimized for consumer hardware and doesn't need ECC. It'll mine like a 780 Ti, probably a bit better, but maybe not because the K40 has more cache than the 780 Ti does, it might be a GDDR5X situation where the extra space is wasted.

Edit: The major differences between an old Tesla like that and consumer hardware are 1/3rd FP64 speed vs 1/24 for the consumer line. ~Double the memory and ECC support than uses up 12.5% of the memory if you turn it on, but if you need it you need it. Finally, drivers optimized for professional workloads, even in current generation Teslas that have the same FP64 performance as consumer cards the extra optimizations for pro software result in stuff 5-10 times faster, in pro software, not games. A consumer card probably could run those optimizations, but part of the cost you're paying for in a Quadro or Tesla is software development for niche apps that might have a few thousand users.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 6, 2017

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
A little above 2 dollars.

Edit: Right at the moment it's actually nearly 3 dollars https://www.nicehash.com/profitability-calculator

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Risky Bisquick posted:

Unlikely, it should be memory constrained

With the box art leaks it's all but confirmed to be GDDR5 not GDDR5X. It's the mining dream card.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Unless your electricity is free, no.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
In circulation, not the money people have left in wallets ignored and forgotten about. I'd agree that on average the amount of money circulating probably all has been used for something criminal, be it directly stolen though exploits, used in scams, or just for buying drugs and other illegal things. It's hard to find a legit use for it in the first place, people exchanging real money (or gift cards) for it are almost certainly a fence to get more into the criminal pool of money, even if they don't know it and are 5 levels removed.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's worth like 2 dollars a day. Mining hardware gets obsoleted with every GPU generation. You probably could get a few hundred dollars for it though because people are paying 400 dollars for GPUs that do a few dollars a day.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like these they're not calibrated for any sort of scientific accuracy, but for calculating your energy cost they're perfect. If you have variable rate power you'll have to figure a bit more based on the times of day, but the power used stays relatively constant. Pascals will throttle very well if the fans fail, I wouldn't want to test it, but I think it can throttle enough to not die even if the heatsink fell off entirely. 72C is no problem at all for Pascal, they're happy to run 24/7 in the mid 80s. You probably shouldn't use your CPU to mine unless your power is the cheapest in the world, usually they cost more to run than the money they make.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bitcoin is the easiest to convert into real money or giftcards or whatever else. Nicehash is the laziest way to mine because it switches to the most profitable one for you automatically and they pay in bitcoins. You definitely could make more doing it all yourself manually, but that's like making 3 dollars a day rather than 2.50 for spending hours watching markets and setting up individual mining apps.

You're never going to be mining the most efficiently with Nicehash but you also don't need to know anything and won't accidentally spend a day on something getting you like 50 cents because it has fallen out of favor for that day.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 20, 2017

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The way it's supposed to work is the buyer pays a 1 dollar for 105 cents of work and the miner gets paid 95 cents. In practice it seems like they're paying 1 dollar for 1 dollar so they're basically paying Nicehash for no reason. Probably some sort of criminal money laundering.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Twist if figuring it out ends up not being useful for bitcoins at all, but ends up saving you more money on power than they would have sold for anyways. Does your motherboard have settings for configuring the VRMs? I know mine draws like 30 watts more on "extreme" mode or whatever it's called rather than default. Are the power saving features enabled and working? Even when mining there are parts of the CPU that can get throttled. Do you have like dozens of drives? Is your PSU a name brand one still under warranty? Modern warranties from good brands are getting over 10 years, but a cheap one from a lesser brand might be 1 year and efficiency drops off as they age, especially with a short warranty.

Do you have like "k boost" I think it's called different things from different manufacturers but Nvidia cards can be forced into their highest power state.

My overclocked 1080 and 5820K with a lot of drives and the monitors and some chargers on the same circuit only draw 500 watts loaded.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's that thread that says "Yes the OP is up to date" this one could be "Yes the OP is out of date". Up to date information changes almost every week.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'll wait a week to see people getting actual payouts after fees and whatever, but it looks like next week it'll be worth it again for me with my 21 cents/kwh power.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
After I see peoples results after a week (And it's not something like 10 dollars a week) I'll try it myself for a week and based on my experiences I'll try to come up with a new lazy guide. I'm lazy about doing computer stuff but I can make thousands of words a day. I want people using the hardware they already have to make them money. I think even though the people who spent under 100 dollars lucked out and mining kept working long enough to earn a return I think spending any money is wrong, just use the hardware you already have and then when the bitcoin services inevitably blow up you're only out power for that week and your hardware is just the hardware you would have anyways. Hopefully you were able to get at least a week of earning from it so it can be a net neutral when that scam week comes. I think I'm going to add a section about how the service WILL scam you, but as long as you're prepared for that it's not the end of the world.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you're in the southern hemisphere or plan to keep running it until the summer in the northern hemisphere make sure you have climate control (And factor cooling costs into your costs).

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's also really expensive. Pay way more to eat way worse. I could see it if it was a functional food at the cheapest possible price, but you could make practically any meal you want for its cost.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
This isn't a fix, but you can have task scheduler reboot instead of launching a .bat file. Something feels weird about doing it in 2 steps.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's a lot of money to put into a joke just for you.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's (probably?) a market segmentation thing. Quadros and Teslas can keep P0 state for full clock speeds, but the consumer cards drop to P2 state under compute loads. The fix is editing the bios to make P2 state the same as P0, but with Pascal you can't flash edited bioses anymore. There have been workarounds that have forced P0 state, but they've relied on specific driver versions probably that allowed it because of a bug and not intentionally.

It's never explicitly marketed, but the higher clocks would help further differentiate performance between Quadros and Geforces even without specific driver optimizations.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Start with whatever offset gets you to 2050MHz core under load and add 400MHz to the memory. Those seem to be good baseline overclock values for Pascal.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't know AMD so well, but Nvidia DGAF about mining and kind of doesn't like it. Miners are buying gaming segment cards, but instead of gamers they're only buying cards based on a nebulous profitability rather than every generation to play new games. They'd rather have consistent long term sales from gaming than miners using up all of the supply now. Miners buying cards now makes it harder for them to build mind share with new customers when the narrative changes from "These cards are good" to "These cards are good, but overpriced". When kids are at the 8-13 age they're not buying anything directly but brand affinities are getting built subconsciously that pay off in 5-10 years. That's the Nvidia and Nvidia partner stance, I don't know people at AMD and partners to get their comments.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think there should be a warning added to the OP like "You will get scammed, it's just a matter of when. Cash out to something real as soon as possible to minimize your loss when it does happen and factor losing a week or two into if it's worth it for you" You can still be profitable, but be ready for it to be stolen at any minute until it's in something more tangible.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Bitcoin network has no sanity for costs. A guy spent 50,000 dollars to transfer 5 dollars because he messed up some fields.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
What I'm hearing is the wise money is in hiring a lawyer and a programmer and making a dozen forks.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's that famous (?) pic set of the guy who tore up his whole backyard to create a geothermal radiator.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think I broke out of their normal negotiating script because I bought and installed everything myself and no one at the power company was expecting that so had no idea what to do and was able to get paid the same rate they charge. There's no benefit to using more power or only using it certain times of day for me. Leave nothing on during the day and time shift all those earnings to the night when everyone's home. The standard way they pay people in my city is some percentage of the cost of the power generated, I think something like 70-80% of the cost.

Based on my experience they probably have room to negotiate and it might be worth calling them every few months and trying to get a better deal. Power is still 21 cents/kwh, but at least I don't need to think about how I'm using power at all.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Nvidia 680 and AMD 7970 and 290 are at the end of losing their value while still being fast enough for people to be interested. Everything else has a long way to drop or is so old no one would have one.

I had a 280 that I tried baking in an oven to experiment with reflowing and it died, but it's so old who cares anymore. All cards get cheap enough to barely be worth shipping.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 4, 2018

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Winminer is starting to have good payouts. Going to let it run until I get paid and report back. Not going back to Nicehash unless there's a dramatic change in...well basically everything about it. I don't care if it's 10% lower earnings if it can pay straight to Paypal and is over 4 dollars a day. But, right now, my projected earnings are at last years Nicehash levels, 10 dollars a day from a 1080 and a 980. Even with my 21 cents per KWH power costs that's worth it. It's actually even easier to setup that Nicehash.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hush is like if Bitcoin is too legitimate for you, but they were paying me 12 dollars a day for it for a while today.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm making 12 no wait 8 no wait 10 no wait AGGGHHH dollars per day. but the holidays were a time for everyone to ask me about bitcoins and I said they're just a way to lose money slowly. I haven't had a single card I've bought pay for itself, but I'm just using them because I already have them. Anyone asking about them almost certainly doesn't already have the hardware laying around. 120 dollars for free is great, 120 dollars against putting in 700 dollars in is real bad.

So far the guidance I can think of for people wanting to use their hardware now seems to be look at Whattomine and subtract about 30% for the mystery of Winminer skimming, the trade off being that you get Paypal money and don't have to deal with any exchanges or gift services. Power usage seems a lot more "polite" than Nicehash or mining directly so the only way to get good power costs seems to be buying a meter, or assume TDPs are worst case and not normal use, that'll get you at least within the range of your power use. I have 13 dollars after 1.5 days mining with a 1080 and a 980, payout at 20 dollars.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Winminer has been quite painless. They seem to be pretty obviously skimming compared to what every single mining profitability calculator says, but I still ended up with 19.61 actual dollars after 3 days, against 6 dollars in power use it's a good enough deal for me. Extremely easy to set up, you thought Nicehash was easy, Winminer you just download and give an email address and it's off. No dealing with bitcoins at all, it can pay you in straight Amazon or Paypal money. Payment happened in like 5 minutes from initiating it.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dead Goon posted:

Is Winminer open to new users yet? Last time I tried they were closed due to the massive influx of Nicehash refugees.

Yes, by the time I noticed they were paying like 7-8 dollars a day I was able to download and run it no problem without a hint of being closed for new users. Maybe they scaled up or maybe people went back to Nicehash.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It doesn't require admin access, only for stuff like fully autonomous headless operation. If you have physical access to the computer and it has a monitor+KB/M connected there's no reason to give it admin access.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
HUSH pays like 10+ dollars per day, but someone's only paying for that a few hours a day. I let it auto switch and don't pay much attention except to check in every few hours to make sure it's not paying out too low to not be worth it. Mine's doing ZEN right now too.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
And payments are falling so low to be worthless again with Winminer. 980 making less than 2 dollars a day and 1080 making 3 dollars a day. Going to finish off this payout with just my 1080, it was a fun week of 40 dollars though.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's a dual miner software that hits 2 different coins that stress different parts of the GPU. Each one is slower than running alone, but combined they sometimes can end up with more total money. (Though in this case it's probably a temporary price spike because mine's doing ZCL alone)

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Keeping my 1080 running today inspired me to start up my 980 again. 1080 back up to 6 dollars and the 980 back up to 3. Maybe yesterday was just a temporary lull. Ah well, I'm not invested so I don't need to worry about dead cats or anything, keep paying me that almost 10 dollars and I'll leave my computers on.

I dump all of my finances stuff on an accountant because I have a complicated income from like 5 different sources along with employees. I wish I could offer advice, but I really have no idea and just have to assume my accountant isn't screwing me.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't know if there's an option like it for AMD, but I thoroughly enjoy Nvida's temperature throttling. Slows the card down as the heatsink gets more clogged with dust and never lets temperatures get over whatever you want. In my case it's 74C, clean my 1080 will do 2050 and 56C, dusty it slows down to 1850 to maintain sub 74C temps. No runaway to 90C as it holds 2050 full of dust or needing to watch it super carefully in case it might get hot.

• Locked thread