Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lube banjo posted:

is it generally wise to use a VPN while mining?
If you already have a VPN mining uses a trivial amount of bandwidth and I'd run it through there just to keep your traffic more obfuscated. If you don't already have a VPN I wouldn't buy one, there's nothing inherently illegal or dangerous about mining short of running closed source 3rd party software that you'd have to run through a VPN anyways.

Alpha Mayo posted:

You can force Cuda P0 on Pascal with nVidia Profile Inspector (disable Force Cuda P2 State with it).
This functionality comes and goes depending on your hardware and driver version. It seems like a low priority thing that isn't officially supported.

Tried disabling it on my 1080 with 390 drivers on Windows 10 X64, not working with that configuration. It definitely does work with some older drivers but I'd never run older drivers just for mining.
Edit: Nope, I forgot what I was looking at, it is indeed working with that configuration now. Got me like 10% more, thanks.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you're not flashing the bios overclocking is sanctioned. They could make a bios that removes any usefulness from overclocking but no one's doing it. Now overclocking uses more power and makes more noise, but there's no danger of premature hardware failure.

I think something they could and should add is use hours. SSDs already record how much is written versus how long they're on. It wouldn't be too much of a jump to add videocard on time and % hours loaded. That would probably help everyone, make a warranty 10,000 used hours which you'll never hit as a gamer but quickly bump into from mining or off label compute use, less warranty claims and you could prove your used card actually only had 1,000 hours used and the other 10,000 were idle when you're selling it used after 2 years.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 15, 2018

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not worried about mining use, but I'd take a 6 month 1,000 hour warranty if it saved me 50 dollars over a 5 year 10,000 hour warranty. I'm only thinking about how it might benefit me as a side benefit of less RMA claims to manufacturers.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
B Stock has been taking longer to get in stock and prices less discounted. It was great in the Maxwell days, then took a long time to get in stock for Pascal for barely any discount. I'm not too hopeful for Ampere.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

EVGA B Stock are their refurbed cards. In the 980/970 days you could get a 970 for 200 dollars or a 980 for 300 with a 1 year warranty. Now it's 500 for a 1080 and 700 for a 1080 Ti, if there were any in stock at all. https://www.evga.com/products/productlist.aspx?type=8

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope it crashes the day Ampere is released. I wonder how I'm going to get one for MSRP otherwise.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alpha Mayo posted:

If anyone is sad about mining losing profitability, EVGA will pay you up to $10 a month to run Folding@Home for their team! You get paid in EVGA BUCKS too so you even get the thrill of not getting a real currency.

You need to turn in 4,000,000 points per month. What sort of ask is that? Can I do it with a 1080 running very low priority to not notice a performance impact without keeping my computer on 24/7? Or is that the sort of thing that needs multiple GPUs running 24/7?

Edit: Looking at their leaderboard that looks like something you might be able to do with 1 GPU, but it'd have to be 24/7.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 16, 2018

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
For me at least, it's a 30 dollar a month donation ask. Years ago when the difference between idle and loaded was pretty small I used to run F@H, but power savings have gotten too good now for me to let it run anymore.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I heard some money sounding words once and I'd like to use them too. Or: I know what I'm talking about I'm using words just like people on TV.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
21 cents per KWH, represent. Even at those rates It's been worth it for about 200 dollars of profit over the year.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The *coin costs and regulations seem to have made Winminer want to shut down. It's been days since I requested a cash out and still nothing. They sent me an email like it was withdrawn and debited my account, but they seem to either not have money or have decided to close up and stop paying.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've always been sending to Amazon because I buy so much through there. Previously it's only taken a few hours.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's explicitly what I'm doing. Paypal can't be used at Amazon so I always get it in Amazon gift cards. I sent them an email to see if they can resend it since they seem to still be paying out for other people.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy poo poo, I thought my power was expensive. Even with 21 cents per kwh in the hottest months of summer it was costing me like 110 dollars. I installed a 10KW solar farm and now I get paid like 100 dollars a month.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gees, sometimes I wondered if buying high efficiency appliances was worth it, guess it was. Paid extra for a refrigerator, air conditioning, oven, microwave, early adopted LED bulbs, basically anything that could have a power saving version of I bought, figuring even if it never paid off at least there was a lower environmental impact. Anytime I had to replace something energy efficiency was my number 1 goal.

Almost related thing: My very first generation LED bulbs failed because of cold solder joints. The same as was killing old videocards. After a couple failed I cracked one open and all of the little LED chips fell off from the lightest brush, the solder had failed on all of them.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 26, 2018

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
As of like 2 years ago I threw away every other perfectly working bulb because high wattage LEDs are getting cheap enough that waiting for failures didn't make sense anymore. I also used to use 100 watt bulbs all over my house and I'm pretty sensitive to CRI and color temperature. You still can get bad ones, my room mate got some that made the house look like a hospital, but from a name brand (I have Cree, GE and Phillips) I can't tell the difference. If you have a weird fixture that uses weird bulb types it's probably worth it to get a generic one that lets you use standard LED bulbs that cost a few dollars.

LED bulbs are very good and cheap now, and no one should be running anything else. Since you already have CFLs I'd get LED replacements as the CFLs fail since they are already using less than half as much power as incandescents. It's like 30 watts for a CFL and like 20 for a LED.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Relative to a videocard they're free. They use like 10 watts each. I'd get 8TB drives so that's 4 of them. You're opening yourself up to storing all manner of illegal materials. Bitcoins might be used for crimes, the use case for storage coins is crimes.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
How's your power supply? I could see that getting into the 700 watt range. Over 200 per GPU and 100 from the CPU, plus drives, memory, motherboard stuff and fans.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
970 and 980 TI are the go to non mining gaming focused cards right now. On no, a dollar more electricity per month, just put that against the 300 dollars you saved not getting a Pascal.

Heat should be a non issue because anyone running a large scale mining operation has learned the benefits of running the cards cool and low powered. The only potential failure point is the fan since it might have been running for years without ever turning off and consumer hardware is designed with the idea people turn it off. A replacement fan is only like 15 dollars and a half hour of your time though, it's not a big deal if the cards are cheap enough.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's me, I'm seriously considering a Titan next generation if they sell a ~1000 dollar one if that means I can get one without fighting for stock. I straight up can't afford a 3,000 dollar Titan, but if they make new ones for the 1150 they sold the old ones for that'd make me pretty interested if there's no 1180 stock.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's 2 setups I wouldn't want cards from. The mystery TV box and the normal case crammed with videocards. Everything else is getting good to great airflow and as long as they don't get shorted out from those crazy "cases" and end up dead they should be fine for years.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you're going to run an electric space heater anyways bitcoin mining is pretty good. No matter how unprofitable it is getting back even 20 dollars a month is better than nothing.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't know what side of the climate change argument this was on but I remember a poster showing a family saying the number 1 thing they could do to help global warming was eat their dog. They had stuff like grilling and an idling car with smoke in the photo. Was it saying no one should own pets? Was it saying owning pets is the first thing to give up if you care about the environment? Was it saying conservation is pointless? Maybe they just really wanted people to eat dogs.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The US has accredited investor day trading rules to save people from themselves. Bitcoin exchanges don't give a gently caress. You're going to lose your money fast with no recourse.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Depending on your income structure whatever you end up paying an accountant could be less than the extra you pay from not knowing every tax law. Pay 1,000 dollars to save 5.000 dollars. Of course if you're working a normal job with normal wages that doesn't apply and just do it yourself, but this is the thread where you probably have dozens of projects with money going in and out.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Would you run an electric space heater if your computer wasn't warming the room? It's cheaper than an electric space heater but more expensive than any other type of heat you might have. Actually with a 1080 ti you're still profitable, but in the range of 20 dollars for 2 weeks, 10 dollars a day is gone now.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
What was wrong with the other one, I think it was called Bitpay? I never made a Coinbase account because they wanted way too much information. Bitpay was like "got an email? Good enough"

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
My work gave me a 200 dollar budget for a new power supply and the 1000 watt EVGA P2 was 199.99 at the time, it seemed fated. I was running SLI, but now it's a 1000 watt PSU running a single 1080 and a 5820K.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the limit for consumer Nvidia drivers is 6 cards at once. Move to 4 1070s and 2 1080 Tis and see if that works.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bloody Antlers posted:

Maybe folding@home or something that might lead to a cure you'd pay anything for a few decades from now? Might be a decent use for your stockpiles of hardware.

This post got me to run F@H on my PC again. I made 300 dollars from bitcoins just using the PC I already had, but I'd easily pay 300,000 for a cure to MS.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh yeah, I totally get that. It's hundreds of dollars a year for potentially no benefit. That's why I stopped the first time, but there have been over 130 journalistic articles about unknown diseases from F@H work and even if it doesn't cure me maybe it could cure someone else. I can afford it so why not, my computer is stable.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It caps at 120 dollars now, but that's still a good benefit, now folding for the EVGA team.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Usually you end up on the Ti track or the x80 track. The 1080 successor will come out this summer and the Ti successor next spring (Speculation, not any real data). The 1080 successor will perform slightly better than a Ti for about 100 watts less while the Ti successor will perform slightly below double the Ti for about the same power.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is that in P2 or P0 mode? +900MHz on memory in P0 is very good. If it's P2 that's really like +400MHz on memory which is average.

That looks like Mining Pool Hub.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
No one* is mining anymore. It used to be nearly 10 dollars a day.

*Weirdos are still mining

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I made about 300 dollars after electricity. I just used it to buy the random Amazon things I was buying anyways.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
If they'll pay for electricity whatever, if they're not no way. If your house is small the noise could be a problem. I keep a towel on my NAS down the hall because the case alone shaking is enough to hear undamped. Why can't they run it at their house?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not mining because of power costs but almost a year later Winminer did send me my 20 dollar certificate for Amazon just now. No idea what the hold up was, but I'm at net zero in terms of being scammed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I switched my PC to Folding @ Home and it "pays" a variable amount based on how loaded the PC was. If it gets all the GPU time it credits more than if I'm playing games. The way it verifies is sending the same job to multiple computers, there are apparently enough fast computers volunteering for the duplicate work to still be worth it though.

Edit: To elaborate further I think it determines a work unit should take 2 hours and it slides the points around based on if it's faster or slower.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 21, 2018

• Locked thread