Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
I think bitcoins and cryptocurrency is dumb as hell, and while this trend is clearly loving the market and screwing over everyone trying to build gaming machines, I'm really thrilled that I bought my old cards cheap and turned around and sold them for a 1:1 upgrade years later thanks to bitlords.

That said, to anyone buying old mining cards when this bubble pops, be on the lookout for cards with serial-based warranties. Both of the ex mining cards I bought, the 290 and 280X, eventually had their fans fail and had to be RMA'd. Neither of them had any other hardware problems but that's something to consider. On the plus side I got yet another upgrade with a 390 replacement so maybe that's not a terrible thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
Yeah I also bought a 290 on the cheap after the last crash and other than an iffy fan it held up fine. Definitely glad I got the serial based warranty version though for the 390 swap.

The way things are going this bubble may pop well before the 1070s will even get mined on much. I wouldn't buy a firesale AMD card any older than a 400 series since any earlier cards might be still rotating around since the litecoin mining.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 25, 2017

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Weatherman posted:

How many of you are planning, after you've finished thrashing them half to death for your internet pogs, to put your graphics cards on Craigslist with the description "almost-new, hardly-used <whatever>" with the self-justification "Well these cards are designed for gaming and I hardly used them for gaming so it's true"?
If it's like last time, everybody. Every listing claimed it was mined on for 'a month' or not at all. Both of my cards had bad fans and either the manufacturer just really hosed up or they saw alot more time mining than claimed. I actually asked for fans only on both RMAs and I was genuinely surprised by the 390.

The 280X got traded to a power supply reviewer for one of his recent gold models and the last I heard he was still mining on it.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 25, 2017

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Fauxtool posted:

am i supposed to multiply the memory clock to get the actual number or something? In gpu-z my 1070 shows 2151.6 MHz and that is with a +550 in afterburner
That seems kind of low for +550. Isn't the stock memory clock of all 1070s 8000mhz? I know mine with +400mhz gives 2200mhz x 4 for 8800mhz. Stock would be 2000mhz x 4 for 8000mhz.

Anyway, Afterburner's sensors readout should be giving you approx. 4300mhz and multiply that by two to get 8600mhz for the real memory clock.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
POS is a good name for it

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
Glad I sold my 390 when Paul recommended it. Looking at used prices now nobody's buying the few listings I can find, and the ones that are are selling for prices around $150 less than last month.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
I just need the bubble to last until the PayPal window runs out. Up up up

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
Yeah the dispute window from selling the cards on eBay in the summer. I thought it was 6 months - if it's 3 then the bubble is free to pop.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

1gnoirents posted:

maybe its more logical now.
Source your quotes

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
Salesperson at work asked me if she should get into bitcoin today.

shoe-shiner stock advice, etc.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
"Non poop-touching crypto thread"

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

At hostpital, lost bitcoint

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me thrice, well you see there are these international investors and surely this can't happen again and mining is paying my bills and heating my house, you see

In other news I'm officially reopening MTGOX with venture capital from Texas oilmen and other captains of industry. Feel free to store your internet money in our new Quantum Secure™ Maui vacation fund Digital Wallets.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Kazinsal posted:

(craigslist is better because you can't get PayPal refund scammed)
I wonder how the guy that bought my 390 is doing. Just realized I'm finally outside of the PP refund window.

I traded my old 280X to somebody else a long while back when he was mining ethereum well after the first bitcoin crash. He's gotta be doing alright now though given the current ETH prices.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
It's a knockoff of garfieldcoin.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
My favorite eBay video card listings are the ones that say never mined/never used for mining that then go on to say what hash rates to expect with the card. :riker:

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
I had to have the Bitcoin Talk talk with a client today. One of their tenants complained about something so we dispatched a tech over. Tech found a motherboard and PSU just sitting on a table with several XFX cards haphazardly connected using dangerous looking cables. He's billing him flat rate for power and apparently their bill is up $100+ from last year. He should kick the guy out, but I think he took the wrong message and will just bring in more miners and charge for power until the building burns down.

PSU was 1300W and I'm pretty sure that section is only wired for 15A.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
SLI in the maybe future is partially why I've kept this 1050W Seasonic - that and it's really quiet at ~90% efficiency with the load I have on it. If I had to pay for it instead of getting it in a trade I wouldn't have though since it's completely overkill for me.

Actually their PSU may be less wattage than the tech reported as it's Gigabyte branded. Which is honestly even scarier for flammability given how many cards they have strapped to it.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
Bitcoin is only to be used for legal and legitimate services such as

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
The used 1070 I bought here in June was $325, so not bad given all that happened in the interim.

• Locked thread