Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

for namtab's risky pick i'll recommend blend s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

dogsicle posted:

for namtab's risky pick i'll recommend blend s

dogsicle posted:

safe pick: children of the whale
risky pick: garo -vanishing line-

Please don't pick my picks - also im not allowed to pick things I know in some form so an established series like garo is illegal

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Namtab posted:

Please don't pick my picks - also im not allowed to pick things I know in some form so an established series like garo is illegal

wow, namtab has a big head
those are my picks, and blend s is just a suggestion based on my risk assessment of the season

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This whole subforum has been a celebration of me ever since zorak died

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Gimme more animes where people kiss.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Ore Monogatari/My Love Story?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Wark Say posted:

Sakura Trick.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just making wishes for the upcoming season, guys. ;)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'd think that Kakegurui could be considered up there on AOTS lists......no?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Grouchio posted:

probably, but the ending was poo poo

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

How does a show like that even end? I wasn't under the impression that it had much of an overarching plot besides horny, melty-faced lesbians gambling a whole lot.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

How does a show like that even end? I wasn't under the impression that it had much of an overarching plot besides horny, melty-faced lesbians gambling a whole lot.

she was trying to gamble her way to the top of the school and face off with the student council president. there's also a ton of stuff in it wrt class issues that is pretty compelling and supposedly gets explored in later material. but uh, the final gamble against the student council president was incredibly simple/anticlimactic and it felt like the whole episode was just rushing to conclude things so it could do an epilogue of how all the characters are doing now, with the door is left open for a second season.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
kakegurui ended up being only okay and certainly not an anime i will ever recommend to ppl

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I haven't finished it yet, but Kakegurui is def the most buckwild thing I've seen in a while and I watched all of Neo Yokio. It is hard to reccomend considering from what i can tell, MAPPA actually added more sexual scenes than were in the manga and some people have compared it to Eromanga Sensei in terms of :siren::siren::siren: which I def don't agree with but w/e. It's fun and will probably make my #5 this year.

It easily wins best OP this year so far, i want a gif of Midari in the OP as an avatar but she has credits like right over her face

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 25, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah it's the only OP I watch every time this season.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Same, except the ballroom op too

Oh and Isekai Shokudou

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Sindai posted:

Yeah it's the only OP I watch every time this season.

Musical tastes vary so I don't argue it as best/worst, but this has been a loving great season for opening songs. I mean, I'm not the kind of person who skips openings to begin with, but there are so many this season I wouldn't dream of skipping even if I was.

Kakegurui, Princess Principal, Welcome To The Ballroom, Restaurant to Another World, Mahoujin Guru Guru, Made in Abyss... So cute, fun, catchy, ect, I like them all.

On a less positive note, is anyone else still slogging through The Reflection? I generally don't drop shows unless they're complete garbage fires so for some reason I'm still burning twenty minutes a week on this thing and it is so slow and not that interesting and the animation is bad. But Stan Lee showed up at the end of the last episode and he does the Next Episode title reads so I'm gonna see it through.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's a shame cause the director on the reflection is really talented and has done a bunch of really interesting shows, but the reflection is like the worst thing he's ever made while also being the kind of thing he's always wanted to make

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I've been start and stop on The Reflection. It's interesting, but all the other shows, like... actively make me want to watch them more somehow, so every so often I come back to watch an episode or two.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Of all the Isekai shows this season, only one actually was any good. And of course it's the one where people from the other world come to ours to eat food

Caphi posted:

I've been start and stop on The Reflection. It's interesting, but all the other shows, like... actively make me want to watch them more somehow, so every so often I come back to watch an episode or two.

Does the animation ever get less choppy? Or does the style really have to grow on you?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Knights and Magic ended. It was more fun than I expected coming in. I enjoyed the nerding out about technology and its impact on society. Though it finds itself in a weird position where the stakes are so lightly regarded that I found myself rooting for the villains because they were more fun to watch.

Especially the enemy scientist, who is needed as a foil or the overpowered MC, and gets all the best scenes and hammy VA work.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ONE PUNCH MAN SEASON 2 ANNOUNCED!!!

IT WILL BE MADE BY JC STAFF

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Phobophilia posted:

Knights and Magic ended. It was more fun than I expected coming in. I enjoyed the nerding out about technology and its impact on society. Though it finds itself in a weird position where the stakes are so lightly regarded that I found myself rooting for the villains because they were more fun to watch.

Especially the enemy scientist, who is needed as a foil or the overpowered MC, and gets all the best scenes and hammy VA work.

Yeah, it was the most enthusiastic bad show I've ever seen, and the sheer enthusiasm and positivity actually mitigated a lot of its issues.

Grouchio posted:

ONE PUNCH MAN SEASON 2 ANNOUNCED!!!

IT WILL BE MADE BY JC STAFF

Wasn't it announced quite a while back?

Grouchio posted:

Definitely not. It was a passable series and a generally fun watch, but not AOTS in a season packed with so much great poo poo. Its OP on the other hand is probably the best of the season.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Wasn't it announced quite a while back?

not the part where it's being made by jc without any of the s1 staff

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The Colonel posted:

not the part where it's being made by jc without any of the s1 staff

Not even the director or writers? drat, that might hurt the show quite a fair bit. When Log Horizon jumped studios sure the animation quality dipped, but since the writing and direction was the same as S1 it was pretty much more of the same. Now OPM 2 might have some teething problems. I still expect it to be good, just maybe have a few issues here and there.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

OPM s1 was cool because the director was able to bring together a lot of really great animators to do cool sequences. Not really sure if s2 is gonna be any good without that.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
shingo natsume is a great director with a fantastic eye for crazy high-energy stuff and working over the years on shows like space dandy got him some big connections so s2 is in a much tighter spot without him

it's even worse than something like next season's blood blockade battlefront, because at least even without rie matsumoto, being made at BONES with otherwise the same staff as s1 means it can still be about on-par with s1 in how it's made

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I keep up with reading One Punch Man and I wasn't at all excited for a second season, but now I'm actively worried about it. Pretty sure it was supposed to air 2017 too, hope everything's good over there

hope bones is doing alright with mob psycho season 2

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah, it was the most enthusiastic bad show I've ever seen, and the sheer enthusiasm and positivity actually mitigated a lot of its issues.

I haven't seen the last episode yet, but from my point of view it's not a bad show at all. Sure it's not nuanced or complex or whatever but it's still a pleasure to watch.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

VostokProgram posted:

I haven't seen the last episode yet, but from my point of view it's not a bad show at all. Sure it's not nuanced or complex or whatever but it's still a pleasure to watch.

The protagonist is a mega marty stu and he and his party steamroll everything in sight, characters have next to no depth or agency outside of the main character's life and conflicts are just thrown about for the sake of giving the party something to do rather than making sense in the context of the world.

For example, monsters are a big important thing that is the very purpose of this kingdom existing to defend the rest of the world. Oh look some kid hacked a robot and killed a monster so dangerous it was going to destroy an entire city and there's not really much a whole regiment of mechs can do to stop it. Kid and the people generally around him get super elevated in status including the entirely average and normal people. Cue the rest of the series never featuring monsters as an even remotely viable threat and then war happens because comically evil empire is comically evil, complete with bloodmoon and blood waterfalls.

That's not to say it isn't fun. It's like SAO in how bad it is (before alfheim) but with twice the enthusiasm. Without the enthusiasm it'd basically be the same quality as the smartphone isekai.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Centaur had the best finale, completely and utterly pointless nothing and also put the horse in a bikini.

Also Kakegurui had the best ED in addition to best OP. The show was great overall but man that ending sucked.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

kater posted:

Centaur had the best finale, completely and utterly pointless nothing and also put the horse in a bikini.

Also Kakegurui had the best ED in addition to best OP. The show was great overall but man that ending sucked.
From what it's been said here (in the show's thread) and elsewhere (an interview with series director), apparently the last episode was written by Homura Kawamoto (the Manga's Author) and it was rushed as hell.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

kater posted:

The ED song was my favourite, but the actual animation was fairly dull. Overall I'd have to say that nothing can beat Re:Creators' ED, though Princess Principal and Made in Abyss come close.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Wark Say posted:

From what it's been said here (in the show's thread) and elsewhere (an interview with series director), apparently the last episode was written by Homura Kawamoto (the Manga's Author) and it was rushed as hell.

The good news is that it leaves the second season open if it gets made.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Postal Parcel posted:

Does the animation ever get less choppy? Or does the style really have to grow on you?

That's pretty much the style. I don't mind it that much, myself. For some reason it feels less "this is bad" to me and more like a filter. A lot of the show is kind of... I don't know, moody, and most of the heavy action scenes (or the closest the show gets to it) are a bit surreal. The only real action guy is X-On, the other fighters are the girl in a huge goofy robot and I-Guy whose superpower is making his fights into literal music videos. The show's reality feels a bit abstracted to begin with.

And X-On's general lack of irony makes him my least favorite character anyway. (But take that within the context of how much I can have any strong feelings about The Reflection at all. It's definitely a weird show and I'm not yet prepared to evangelize it or claim it's secretly brilliant or anything. I'm just apparently the only one who's formed thoughts on it.)

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Caphi posted:

That's pretty much the style. I don't mind it that much, myself. For some reason it feels less "this is bad" to me and more like a filter. A lot of the show is kind of... I don't know, moody, and most of the heavy action scenes (or the closest the show gets to it) are a bit surreal. The only real action guy is X-On, the other fighters are the girl in a huge goofy robot and I-Guy whose superpower is making his fights into literal music videos. The show's reality feels a bit abstracted to begin with.

And X-On's general lack of irony makes him my least favorite character anyway. (But take that within the context of how much I can have any strong feelings about The Reflection at all. It's definitely a weird show and I'm not yet prepared to evangelize it or claim it's secretly brilliant or anything. I'm just apparently the only one who's formed thoughts on it.)

If you're actually paying attention then I suppose this is the place to ask about episode 10: Was Teleport Girl's brother mentioned at all prior to this episode? Having her family issues and brother not only show up for the first time but also be revealed as the main antagonist all felt like it happened way too fast and came out of nowhere, but I admit to not paying very close attention to some past episodes so I may have let all of it slip by entirely.

I don't know yet if I'd call it a good show and I certainly won't recommend it to anyone, but I do enjoy it enough to keep watching week to week even if it isn't the most interesting thing. I-Guy is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

• Locked thread