Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

these are the shows I'm definitely going to at least watch the first episode of

Welcome to the Ballroom
Centaur's Worries
Dive!!
Fate/Apocrypha
Restaurant to Another World
Cleanliness Boy! Aoyama-kun
Made in Abyss
Owarimonogatari 2nd Season
Senki Zesshou Symphogear AXZ
The Irresponsible Galaxy☆Tylor

there might be too much anime
THERE IS NEVER TOO MUCH ANIME SONNY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

there is

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I stand with grouchio, it's never enough

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I stand with Namtab, it's never enough

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

The esteemed coalition of Grouchio, Namtab, and Julias.

Wow

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If you say that there is a limit to how much is enough anime to watch, it's like accepting that AC/DC was the best rock band in the world. I mean, they were cool, for a bunch of geezers, but the fact that you're looking at them like they're the non plus ultra of songs about loving, rock 'n roll itself and... whatever the gently caress Thunderstruck is about, means that you need to reassess your priorities.

e: I am blind. And dumb.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 22, 2017

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
There's only a handful of things this season I've had any exposure to (EG, Centaurs Life, New Game) and those are largely bordering on disinterest or mild dislike so I'm pretty much flying blind this time around.

Will watch Monogatari, maybe the Fate Thing or Ballroom thing. Otherwise just waiting to see what ends up being good.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

littleorv posted:

Wow

the AIDS Alliance

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I'm glad there's a lot of anime and I'm glad that a lot of it is really good.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
there's only so many hours in the day to watch anime

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

And in some cases only so many services you can be bothered to subscribe to, if you want to be a legal and upstanding anime citizen.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Very excited for: Made in Abyss, Symphogear AXZ
Decently excited for: Welcome to the Ballroom, Kakegurui
Will check out at least the first episode: Centaur's Worries , Restaurant to Another World, Mahoujin Guru Guru (2017), Vatican Miracle Examiner, Youkai Apartment no Yuuga na Nichijou, Aho Girl, Piko Tarou no Lullaby Lullaby, Tsurezure Children
Will watch if I ever catch up on previous seasons: Owarimonogatari, Teekyuu 9

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
All that Teekyuu backlog, what a tall order.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

chumbler posted:

And in some cases only so many services you can be bothered to subscribe to, if you want to be a legal and upstanding anime citizen.

I stream my anime legally and smoke crack at the same time

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Who is Captain Tylor's kid's mom?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

littleorv posted:

Who is Captain Tylor's kid's mom?

Yuriko Star

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Watching:
Symphogear
New Game +

Trying:
Isekai Shokudou
Made in Abyss
Kakegurui

Mentat Radnor posted:

Vatican Miracle Examiner (Vatican Kiseki Chousakan)

If it turns out to be "Anime Penn and Teller expose hoaxes for the Pope" I'll give it a shot.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm interested in Shoukoku no Altair, Vatican Miracle Examiner, Ballroom

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The pv for Altair seemed interesting. Big turbans

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Laughing Salesman New finished up earlier this week (hoping for another season to get announced...) and it went out on a strong episode, between an interesting opener where the salesman is barely present and a closer that returned to some of the flashier animation from ep1 with a really cool shift in directorial style. It was a rare show that was so obviously aimed at an older audience and dealt with the social pressures and issues that come with age, employment, and family, while keeping a sense of humor. The visual style stood out when compared to most modern anime, and beyond that uniqueness it was just very solid and had the proper cartoony-ness to complement the show's tone.

I know the show got a bad rap for the first episode but it improved quickly after. I'd definitely recommend either powering through the first 1 1/2 middling episodes or even just skipping to 3 and watching from there.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm surprised I'm not seeing more people interested in Altair, Ottoman Empire fantasy anime sounds interesting to me at least. Is the manga not very good or something?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Got burned on the Arslan anime

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I'm surprised I'm not seeing more people interested in Altair, Ottoman Empire fantasy anime sounds interesting to me at least. Is the manga not very good or something?

Haven't read the manga, but people may be wary due to its similarity to Arslan, another two cour middle eastern fantasy that tanked hard 1/3 of the way in. But Altair has more source material to draw from and the director is pretty established/has done some great stuff so I want to be optimistic.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

littleorv posted:

Wow

I used to be a big shot around here

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

GorfZaplen posted:

I read some of the manga and the art was super nice but I just wasn't that interested overall and didn't stick with it. I may check out the show later after it's all out though.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

I'm interested in Shoukoku no Altair

WAIT WAIT WAIT I MISSED THAT ON THE LIST

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Altair is a God-Tier manga. It has some really loving cool rear end Renaissance warfare, historical references to the IRL period and amazing art. I'm deffo watching the anime for it. READ THE MANGA IT'S WAY BETTER THAN ARSLAN

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its gonna go to poo poo after 8 eps like arslan

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's also cool because it has this thing of having more chapters being about politicking, building alliances and meeting people from the various countries to form coalitions than the Warring itself.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Plutonis posted:

It's also cool because it has this thing of having more chapters being about politicking, building alliances and meeting people from the various countries to form coalitions than the Warring itself.

You've sold me.

Davincie posted:

Thing with Arslan is that it just got moderately dull instead of offensively bad.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Thing with Arslan is that it just got moderately dull instead of offensively bad.
Isn't that worse than being Offensively Bad? I mean, a show being awful and people making GBS threads on it is basically a career as a "Professional YouTuber" nowadays. When a show is loving dull, they're usually not worth mentioning.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Wark Say posted:

Isn't that worse than being Offensively Bad? I mean, a show being awful and people making GBS threads on it is basically a career as a "Professional YouTuber" nowadays. When a show is loving dull, they're usually not worth mentioning.

I'd disagree, if it was offensively bad I'd actively stop watching it. If it's moderately dull I'll just not put on the next episode and kinda move on.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

What if a show was both offensively bad and dull?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Motto posted:

What if a show was both offensively bad and dull?

Then it'd be Sagrada Reset.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Davincie posted:

it has like 10x the amount of manga to draw from so actually it will be epic

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

also a show that becomes dull is worse than one that becomes awful because it can be harder to give up on, and feels like more of a disappointment since it is/was so close to being good.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

dogsicle posted:

also a show that becomes dull is worse than one that becomes awful because it can be harder to give up on, and feels like more of a disappointment since it is/was so close to being good.

By a mile. When a show's just terrible I can turn it off and put it out of mind, or even amuse myself making fun of it. When I keep seeing glimpses of something juuuust around the corner I think I'd really like and the show keeps not quite delivering it, that's when I start to go nuts.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

im gonna watch 18if whatever the gently caress it is

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Nobody's translating Africa Salaryman. Sad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
you know arslan is based on still running novels and uses arakawa's style right guys. the manga is not holding it back.

• Locked thread