Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's funny, for me the mahouka books were so loving bad that i started intentionally seeking out terrible garbage fiction to get my fix. mahouka is awful on every conceivable level, no one should ever read/watch any of it, and i love it deeply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Restaurant to Another World is interesting because I picked up a manga on a whim recently called Another World Tavern Nobu (Isekai Izakaya Nobu) which is pretty drat similar in concept.

I guess the surging popularity of Food-based series' and Isekai based series' are just merging at this point.

Also, I am noticing a lot of negativity towards Re:Creators in this thread. I only watched the first two episodes but it seemed really neat, did it go to poo poo after that or start dragging?

Isekai Izakaya is also set to get an anime adaptation, funnily enough.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

everything you mentioned is just military fiction with near-zero intrinsic political slant except the GATE source material that apparently some goons liked to sit in a circle around and bash. it's not like the AoT kids finally get in the basement and it's the Italian fascist manifesto or a framed photo of Hirohito.
frankly that would have been more interesting

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that's funny, for me the mahouka books were so loving bad that i started intentionally seeking out terrible garbage fiction to get my fix. mahouka is awful on every conceivable level, no one should ever read/watch any of it, and i love it deeply.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I thought the Nazis were the bad guys on attack on titan

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I watched (never read) Mahouka because the premise of a hapless kid in a magic school who wasn't good with "regular" magic appealed to me. The first couple of episodes were passable too.

By the time it came out that this kid was in fact the Most Incredible Person in All History/super spy/legendary gunsmith/terrorist buster/ace sniper with nuclear bullets/etc. I finished watching the series just to see how terrible it could get.

Spoiler warning: pretty terrible.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they skipped the ed in one of the early episodes to make way for a speech. in said speech, tatsuya goes on about how all rich people are rich because they are so useful to society that they are rewarded for their talents.

that's really all you need to know about mahouka.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I did enjoy some posts from the Mahouka thread in here, especially the ones that did the whole "Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his imouto?". Also, I swear that there was this girl who was legit in love with the series and thanks to everyone dunking on her, she started disliking it. Man, 3 years sure go by.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
aot is kind of rightist but it isn't insultingly mindless like gate, which fantasizes that japan can pull off Imperialism Done Right. and that it's a good idea to diplomatically isolate itself from the world market in exchange for a chance to exploit the resources of the parallel fantasy world

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wark Say posted:

I did enjoy some posts from the Mahouka thread in here, especially the ones that did the whole "Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his imouto?". Also, I swear that there was this girl who was legit in love with the series and thanks to everyone dunking on her, she started disliking it. Man, 3 years sure go by.

:rip: WickedHate

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't there an anime / light novel about a young guy who's transported to another world but instead of being a typical "Trapped/Reincarnated into another world" fantasy, it's like Gate in that both worlds are inter-connected and he's like an idiot savant at marketing Anime, Manga and Literature because he's like a Super Otaku, and people in the other world are like "WE WANT SOME OF THAT SWEET ANIME LOOT"? I swear it even came out before Gate.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Wark Say posted:

Wasn't there an anime / light novel about a young guy who's transported to another world but instead of being a typical "Trapped/Reincarnated into another world" fantasy, it's like Gate in that both worlds are inter-connected and he's like an idiot savant at marketing Anime, Manga and Literature because he's like a Super Otaku, and people in the other world are like "WE WANT SOME OF THAT SWEET ANIME LOOT"? I swear it even came out before Gate.

Outbreak Company maybe?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Sakurazuka posted:

Stay buried, WickedHate.

If Mahouka (at least the anime version, which I suspect smoothed over a lot of rough edges) had left the MC as just a really good inventor/technician rather than a secretly super specops walking nuke with the entire supporting cast's lips glued to the base of his dick, and cut down severely on the number of student council meetings, it might have been passable instead of a strangely fascinating case study. I watched it for the same reason I watched Horizon on the Edge of Nowhere: to see just how deep the rabbit hole went.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
....was it to nowhere?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Wark Say posted:

The Mahouka light novels were a game-changer for me: In early 2012, I got a friend in Tokyo to hunt down and send me the first half of the Gundam Unicorn novels because the I was really into the OVA's. In further exchanges through email, Skype, text messages and the like, he started mentioning in our exchanges that there was this Light Novel series that I might be into. That series was Mahouka. At around June-July 2012, I actually got the second package from my friend which included the back half of the Unicorn novels and the first 2 arcs of Mahouka (Volumes 1 through 4).

The reason that I wrote that first sentence about the Mahouka novels being a personal game-changer is that I'm fairly confident that those loving novels broke my brain: For real, the novels were so bad, they made me realize how much time I've had wasted in media that I honestly do not give one flying gently caress about. Like, there's stuff that I'll watch with friends while drinking and such, or the "So bad it's good" / guilty pleasure shlock that I still dig. However,all I needed to do was read this piece of fiction that was so vile, so up-its-own-rear end and just plain lovely, it flipped a switch in my brain that went "Man, this sunk-cost bullshit has got to stop", and it caused me to drop a bunch of long-running things that I knew in the back of my head were no longer among my jams: Among the things I can still half-remember dropping are Bleach, the Index novels, the SAO novels, the Marvel movies, and cheese knows how many other shows, comics and books. I think that I also stopped reading / bookmarking webcomics with the sole exception of Gunnerkrigg Court (which I still follow to this day). I actually started giving away stuff that I've been hoarding. So yeah, the Mahouka novels were so loving bad that they made me reevaluate my life choices in regards to what I use my time to entertain myself with.

[video}https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ny2b0lNRwY

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Restaurant to Another World is interesting because I picked up a manga on a whim recently called Another World Tavern Nobu (Isekai Izakaya Nobu) which is pretty drat similar in concept.

I guess the surging popularity of Food-based series' and Isekai based series' are just merging at this point.

Also, I am noticing a lot of negativity towards Re:Creators in this thread. I only watched the first two episodes but it seemed really neat, did it go to poo poo after that or start dragging?

Yeah, Isekai Nobu and Restaurant to Another World (I kind of like Other World Dining Hall as an alternate title myself) are the same in concept, but somewhat different in execution. You see it all the time in light novels where people just copy the same concept (modern person in another world, reincarnation, help I'm stuck in a game etc etc), but they all do try to put a spin on it for the most part.

For one thing, there's a lack of fantasy creatures in Isekai Nobu since most of the customers are human while there's various humanoids and more varied species in Restaurant to Another World. I'll also say that in Nobu, the customers just take all the modern foods and devices in stride and are generally oblivious to how, well, other worldly the chef and the waitress girl are because they're like, "Oh, it's similar to what we find in our own kingdom or other countries, never mind how they actually get their supplies though."

In the latter, the customers are super aware that the restaurant is full of things they don't know about and are in awe of, but they only have one day out of the week to eat there and so they're more focused on enjoying their favorite dish instead of trying to figure out what the gently caress is even with the nice lighting and AC/heater. So they're not oblivious as the Nobu customers, but eating is more important.

That said, I like both series.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It was a long time coming. :3:

Sakurazuka posted:

Paracelsus posted:

Stay buried, WickedHate.

If Mahouka (at least the anime version, which I suspect smoothed over a lot of rough edges) had left the MC as just a really good inventor/technician rather than a secretly super specops walking nuke with the entire supporting cast's lips glued to the base of his dick, and cut down severely on the number of student council meetings, it might have been passable instead of a strangely fascinating case study. I watched it for the same reason I watched Horizon on the Edge of Nowhere: to see just how deep the rabbit hole went.
Right, now I remember! She had a crudely drawn Sonic as an AV for the longest time until someone gave her a silly Katsura AV, right? Good times.

A friend commented that all the SAO Restaurant/Bar scenes (or as he likes to call them "gently caress IT, INFO DUMP TIME") were like a stand-in for Reki Kawahara meeting/going through things with his editor, since he read in an interview that Kawahara often writes / meets with his editor in restaurants, so I'm guessing that the Student Council Meetings serve a similar purpose.

One anecdote that I recall from those years is Nakamura telling a bunch of people how he didn't care much for the show because he felt that his performance as Tatsuya was one of "minimum input" and how he was going for something like the breathless "... Hai" type of performance that he liked so much hearing from someone like Hikaru Midorikawa, but that it felt like a mockery of that. He said he was able to be more comfortable with himself once Ari Ozawa, his bro Sugita and Yui Horie teased him for it. I can imagine Yui Horie busting your chops would certainly cheer up your day real fast. :kimchi:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

Stay buried, WickedHate.

I'm the guy who liked Horizon and acknowledge it's bad, but it is nowhere near as awful as Mahouka. The premise of people cargo culting history while having super advanced tech is interesting, and the various powers the characters have are cool and they're mostly given similar billing.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I am ambivalent towards Horizon because, while the show and novels have a ton of groan-worthy nonsense, there are a number of cool things about the setting, and some of the other works from Kawakami (they're all set in different eras of the same Universe) are legit OK-to-Good, even if they point towards the conflict in Horizon as being tragically meaningless in the long run. :(

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

horizon isn't about the chinese being genetically inferior i think

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Horizon also got the big baps in bodysuits

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Horizon also has one of the best anime OSTs. I haven't even watched it yet but whew

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Waffleman_ posted:

Horizon also got the big baps in bodysuits

What the hell even is this design? (:nws:)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It came out a few years ago, I don't think heterochromia was as played out then as it is now.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I don't know if the lighting is coming from above and shining down on her suit or if the light is coming from inside the house and is shining through the fabric

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
horizon was gibberish. the premise fundamentally made no sense, and the conflict was the result of one guy being a dick for no reason, and then everyone else going along for no particular reason. it was a farce, not a tragedy.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i hate heterochromia

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Tell me how you feel about Shaula Gorgon.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

looks terrible and garish

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Plus both Medusa and Arachne are miles better in design.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

horizon was gibberish. the premise fundamentally made no sense, and the conflict was the result of one guy being a dick for no reason, and then everyone else going along for no particular reason. it was a farce, not a tragedy.
"Let's make historical reenactment the basis of our civilization in order to rediscover the lost technology of a bygone era (the giant flying cities, sentient robots, extreme body modifications, and techno-magic deities who apparently bestow actual loving sorcery somehow don't count)" probably isn't the oddest premise for a show I've seen, but it has to be one of the most self-refuting. Though I think the most overtly political it got was the 'poor Japan, oh woe is us' undercurrent. (Which is not exactly uncommon in Japanese media, even if Horizon's setting made it especially bizarre in context.)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Rangpur posted:

"Let's make historical reenactment the basis of our civilization in order to rediscover the lost technology of a bygone era (the giant flying cities, sentient robots, extreme body modifications, and techno-magic deities who apparently bestow actual loving sorcery somehow don't count)" probably isn't the oddest premise for a show I've seen, but it has to be one of the most self-refuting. Though I think the most overtly political it got was the 'poor Japan, oh woe is us' undercurrent. (Which is not exactly uncommon in Japanese media, even if Horizon's setting made it especially bizarre in context.)

that would be a strange, but believable activity for a post-scarcity society. the setting of horizon was not post-scarcity. poo poo's dumb, and the rest of the writing is no better than the basic premise.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Mahouka was basically the last time I was funny.

Wark Say posted:

Thanks for the post praise.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Horizon is a show where the Japanese student council that runs their city-state-ship somehow forces the baseball-club armies of the Western/Catholic armada to cease their attack by going "we call the Treaty of Westphalia!"

A king starts a world war by self-detonating one of his own shrines. He detonates it by having his army of robot maids do a folk dance. I still don't understand what the point was.

The conclusion of one of the seasons is two characters engaging in some form of formalized debate whose rules are never explained but apparently very important.

It also includes for no discernable reason a character who seems to be the Indian equivalent of a golliwog.

Judge.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a formalized debate that was won when the mc declared that it was opposite day, and that the two sides had to argue for the opposing viewpoint, which would then count as a victory for their original position. i couldn't take any more after that.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Namtab posted:

Mahouka was basically the last time I was funny.

Thanks for the post praise.
Your posts in that thread ALMOST make me wish to purchase archives. Almost. :)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

a formalized debate that was won when the mc declared that it was opposite day, and that the two sides had to argue for the opposing viewpoint, which would then count as a victory for their original position. i couldn't take any more after that.

Looks like somebody never learned the Calvinball school of debate.

Calvinball is how most of the powers work, really.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 24, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

that would be a strange, but believable activity for a post-scarcity society.
actually the premise of Girls Und Panzer

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The competitive tank battles in GuP weren't part of an elaborate, civilization wide plan to reinvent the blueprints for the Mk. III Ogre.

I think this bears emphasizing: Horizon's setting (as near as I can tell), is that the majority of humanity decided to back the business plan of the South Park Underpants Gnomes, except the first step is "a centuries-long historical reenactment" and the third step is "unspecificed but revolutionary technological breakthrough."

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sindai posted:

actually the premise of Girls Und Panzer

That's not true. The tank battles were because tank battles are an excellent way to teach womanly virtues to girls, and the schools were on boats because children learn better when schools are on boats

• Locked thread