Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Restaurant to Another World is interesting because I picked up a manga on a whim recently called Another World Tavern Nobu (Isekai Izakaya Nobu) which is pretty drat similar in concept.

I guess the surging popularity of Food-based series' and Isekai based series' are just merging at this point.

Also, I am noticing a lot of negativity towards Re:Creators in this thread. I only watched the first two episodes but it seemed really neat, did it go to poo poo after that or start dragging?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Eela6 posted:

The new season of Symphogear is the best yet and if you're not on board yet you should be.

My backlog is too crazy to get on board right now, but out of curiosity is this a sequential series where I have to start from the first Symphogear, or are they PreCure-ish standalones?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Oh, 13 x 3 isn't bad at all. It certainly looks interesting from the gifs.

Wark Say posted:

The first two seasons are awesome, and the 2nd season introduces Tomokazu Sugita voicing Doctor John Wayne Vercingetorix, a bona-fide ACTION HERO, Motherfucker! :patriot:

How the gently caress do you pronounce that last name

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Compendium posted:

They also carried over the comedy short bits at the end of each ep like they did in the second and third series heh.
Glad to hear it. It's my SO's favorite manga ever so I'm watching it with them and the second episode really did feel like a wash. I guess if the first ep was to kind of introduce the world, the second was to introduce the characters? Kind of unnecessary since they seem to be adapting the third part of a long running series.

Either way those shorts at the end are worth the price of admission.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

numerrik posted:

Dude, the chuuni show is killing it. I have an embarrassing number of words to say about this show.

Which show is this? I didn't know there was a chuuni one this season.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Oh, Supernatural Battles Have Become Commonplace or whatever? Yeah, I really liked it. I don't think it was as strong as it could have been, but it had one of the most memorable scenes of the year in it, great VA work.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I haven't watched Kemono Friends, but I have watched Zyuohger, so I was able to half appreciate that gag. It was a good gag. Good show.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

Not enough people are talking about Action Heroine Cheer Fruits and it basically being Locodol, but with Live-actions SFX shows instead of idols.

Edit: The VA for Akagi An/Cheer Red was also the VA for Nanyako Nanako in Locodol too

This was a pitch-perfect reference to one of my favorite Super Sentai so I am fully behind Cheer Fruits. I've never watched a single Idol show, but I adore tokusatsu and those dorky stage shows so I am loving it, Muramura is a great execution of the oblivious rich girl trope, I like that she was actually competent too.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Still watching The Reflection for some reason. Despite having people on fire and frog-people in the first episode, the series finally became too unrealistic in Episode 3 when two young people willingly go to the hospital without any visible serious injuries. No way in hell.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Davincie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw59Ml3846w

it took me a whole 5 seconds to think this show looks retarded

rad, apple polisher was my nickname in college

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The pancreas thing is great because the live action movie is coming out here in Japan and it gets a laugh every time I tell someone what the name translates to. The story seems sad, but the name is just ridiculous.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Strange Quark posted:

Love Live, in that it's secretly a sports anime about idols instead of an idol anime.

The Colonel posted:

idolm@ster: cinderella girls, locodol or love live: sunshine

og love live is ok but it's full of pretty limp drama and i don't think it really goes for anything to make it as especially fun or interesting

That first post is pretty compelling, and the second one raises a couple confirmation questions.

Cinderella Girls and Sunshine over the originals is a troubling recommendation to accept for someone who insists on watching/playing series' from the beginning, but I am not immovable. Are the sequels/spinoff (I don't know a thing about idolmasters) completely disconnected from the original shows?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Hocus Pocus posted:

Have you seen Koe no Katachi/Silent Voice(s?) yet? Not that they're similar movies or anything, just that it's this year's other big, pretty anime movie.

I enjoyed Your Name, but for all it's flaws Koe no Katachi has stayed with me much more.

I cried a few sappy romance tears during Your Name, A Silent Voice ripped my soul completely apart. I would sooner rewatch Your Name because it's gorgeous and ultimately happy, but A Silent Voice is definitely the more impactful movie, if harder to watch.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Knorth posted:

I didn't think much of the Isekai Shokudou OP when it first started but drat if it hasn't grown on me. I really like when they have that deeper vocalist take lead

Made in Abyss, Princess Principal, and Welcome To The Ballroom constantly fight for the top spot in my heart, but Shokudou's is incredibly fun too, I really like the vocals in it.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The animation leaves a lot to be desired but the story so far and the character interactions have been very cute.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Restaurant to Another World was hitting a perfect game of "that looks delicious" up until this last episode when they tried to make Natto look good. Natto both looks and is gross and thank God Almighty that smell-o-vision isn't a thing or it would've resulted in some broken televisions. Go to hell nattooooooo

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Moltrey posted:

But I'm super excited for a new Galactic Heroes for others to see, I'm really hopeful. I wish Production I.G. wasn't making it cause I'm absolutely dying for Season 4 of Haikyuu
Same, I could watch that show forever.

I have never seen LotGH though, so I am excited to get the chance without having to marathon the old series. Is this retelling the same story? I'd never heard of this before the trailer was posted.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Sindai posted:

Yeah it's the only OP I watch every time this season.

Musical tastes vary so I don't argue it as best/worst, but this has been a loving great season for opening songs. I mean, I'm not the kind of person who skips openings to begin with, but there are so many this season I wouldn't dream of skipping even if I was.

Kakegurui, Princess Principal, Welcome To The Ballroom, Restaurant to Another World, Mahoujin Guru Guru, Made in Abyss... So cute, fun, catchy, ect, I like them all.

On a less positive note, is anyone else still slogging through The Reflection? I generally don't drop shows unless they're complete garbage fires so for some reason I'm still burning twenty minutes a week on this thing and it is so slow and not that interesting and the animation is bad. But Stan Lee showed up at the end of the last episode and he does the Next Episode title reads so I'm gonna see it through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Caphi posted:

That's pretty much the style. I don't mind it that much, myself. For some reason it feels less "this is bad" to me and more like a filter. A lot of the show is kind of... I don't know, moody, and most of the heavy action scenes (or the closest the show gets to it) are a bit surreal. The only real action guy is X-On, the other fighters are the girl in a huge goofy robot and I-Guy whose superpower is making his fights into literal music videos. The show's reality feels a bit abstracted to begin with.

And X-On's general lack of irony makes him my least favorite character anyway. (But take that within the context of how much I can have any strong feelings about The Reflection at all. It's definitely a weird show and I'm not yet prepared to evangelize it or claim it's secretly brilliant or anything. I'm just apparently the only one who's formed thoughts on it.)

If you're actually paying attention then I suppose this is the place to ask about episode 10: Was Teleport Girl's brother mentioned at all prior to this episode? Having her family issues and brother not only show up for the first time but also be revealed as the main antagonist all felt like it happened way too fast and came out of nowhere, but I admit to not paying very close attention to some past episodes so I may have let all of it slip by entirely.

I don't know yet if I'd call it a good show and I certainly won't recommend it to anyone, but I do enjoy it enough to keep watching week to week even if it isn't the most interesting thing. I-Guy is great.

• Locked thread