Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
knights and magic is indeed generic ln isekai trash, but the anime may have sweet magic robot fights. if those fights aren't amazing there will be no reason to watch the show at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i tried. i didn't like it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's funny, for me the mahouka books were so loving bad that i started intentionally seeking out terrible garbage fiction to get my fix. mahouka is awful on every conceivable level, no one should ever read/watch any of it, and i love it deeply.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they skipped the ed in one of the early episodes to make way for a speech. in said speech, tatsuya goes on about how all rich people are rich because they are so useful to society that they are rewarded for their talents.

that's really all you need to know about mahouka.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
horizon was gibberish. the premise fundamentally made no sense, and the conflict was the result of one guy being a dick for no reason, and then everyone else going along for no particular reason. it was a farce, not a tragedy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Rangpur posted:

"Let's make historical reenactment the basis of our civilization in order to rediscover the lost technology of a bygone era (the giant flying cities, sentient robots, extreme body modifications, and techno-magic deities who apparently bestow actual loving sorcery somehow don't count)" probably isn't the oddest premise for a show I've seen, but it has to be one of the most self-refuting. Though I think the most overtly political it got was the 'poor Japan, oh woe is us' undercurrent. (Which is not exactly uncommon in Japanese media, even if Horizon's setting made it especially bizarre in context.)

that would be a strange, but believable activity for a post-scarcity society. the setting of horizon was not post-scarcity. poo poo's dumb, and the rest of the writing is no better than the basic premise.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a formalized debate that was won when the mc declared that it was opposite day, and that the two sides had to argue for the opposing viewpoint, which would then count as a victory for their original position. i couldn't take any more after that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Psiwri posted:

That's pretty much LN territory since the anime does suck at explaining things even more than the LNs do, and I don't plan to read those until they're done being translated which at current pace is probably another 4-6 years out.

so you are saying that even you, the un-ironic horizon fan who is rarer than a unicorn outside of japan, has no loving idea what is going on there.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
centaur's worries includes the best isekai story ever, though?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
how would that be different from any other unexplained disappearance? i think a good premise is someone returning from their stint as an isekai hero, but without them remaining an invincible magic god. some dude dealing with ptsd, re-entering society after being missing for years, conflicts that can't be resolved with a legendary sword, etc.

that wouldn't be much of a power fantasy though, and that is the sole reason the genre is popular at all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 26, 2017

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i prefer trainwrecks to shows that turn out to be boring

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like plenty of bad shows. whether i like something or not isn't a metric of a show's quality, just my reactions to it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
qwaser isn't a titty show. it is a breast feeding fetish show.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i wasn't familiar with that one, since the whole "otherworlders screech and moan like orgasmic chimps in response to japanese food" thing never appealed to me. the dorks writing those wn's really don't quite understand that different cultures and nationalities have varying palates, so no person has ever been waiting their whole lives for some lovely instant curry.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Wark Say posted:

"Isekai Startup: How I duped people out of their money and they dumped me into another world"

Maybe it's because I'm hungry, but "lovely instant curry" sounds really appetizing right about now.

there's a big difference between trying a wide variety of foods and dedicating your life to a vicious, all-consuming addiction to hamburger steak after eating it once.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
for a while they couldn't get anyone to eat the whales they researched so thoroughly so they tried using it as pet food. i don't think that worked very well either.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
manzai is a performance but the titular aho girl is mildly retarded.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Clarste posted:

I find it weird that no one mentioned that the setting of Made in Abyss is basically Etrian Odyssey.

because it isn't actually based on a game and is 100x more hosed up than etrian odyssey.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Clarste posted:

I didn't think it was based on a game, I just thought it was really interesting to have a story take that sort of gamey setting 100% seriously.

Although frankly Etrian Odyssey is pretty hosed up too if you ever stop to look at the details.

mia is super hosed up and the cutesy character designs make it even worse. i'm not sure i could handle seeing some of this poo poo animated.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
gyaruko is a good girl

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it had the rant scene which was good enough to justify the rest of the blandness

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
all of those netflix shows aside from the teddy bear extended commercial seem like they could be at least decent. obviously not all of them will be, but there aren't any other clear stinkers.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yuasa is a legend

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
once the show gets past salad gaiden, it will be into the movie and then the current manga. that manga is fuckin' awful, to the extent that i doubt the anime can salvage it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wasn't there gonna be an anime of shinya shokudo? no isekai, but otherwise it does the same thing only with humor and charm.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's funny, since no one bothered to make the last aquarion show anything like aquarion.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Wark Say posted:

Was Logos that different to Genesis and Evol?

yes, and not in a good way.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
aquarion can be dumb, it can be weird, it can be painfully frustrating, but as soon as it is boring it stops being aquarion.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that was a pretty good show. nothing exceptional, but solid throughout.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, 5 seconds is pretty accurate.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
this is how a last boss is born

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
why are all of the cgi versions so terrible?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the first couple episodes were absurdly rushed but since then it has been pretty okay

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lot of good stuff there

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if you have to drink to be social, you are not a social drinker but who gives a gently caress if it's cute?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
uq holder had too many naked children, even for akamatsu. it'd be nice if the anime censored that poo poo, but i'm not holding my breath.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
inuyashiki didn't end particularly well, but i'm a sucker for oku hiroya's old man characters.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
black clover is more about the charming characters and recurring jokes than the fights, which are kinda generic. so, a faithful adaptation needs to have decent comedic timing to be any good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

And in-between frames. And functional choreography. Those would be nice.

Last time I saw a show with movement that stiff was RWBY, and at least the full-CG meant that had some measure of flow rather than a constant, hideous jerky shudder. Seriously, that poo poo was like staring into a strobe-light. It hurt my eyes.

Apparently that show has a pretty prestigious staff behind it. Wonder what went wrong?

nothing associated with jaden smith is ever good.

• Locked thread