Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
yeah why the gently caress was mahouka popular, it seems completely boring and ugly. i can see the appeal of trashy rightist stories like gate or tanya or titan, but not mahouka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
aot is kind of rightist but it isn't insultingly mindless like gate, which fantasizes that japan can pull off Imperialism Done Right. and that it's a good idea to diplomatically isolate itself from the world market in exchange for a chance to exploit the resources of the parallel fantasy world

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I can't believe the superpowered protagonists of Luck and Logic are called Logicalists and the enemies from another dimension that must be crushed are called Foreigners I can feel the hair on my neck growing in real time and an urge to vape as I watch it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Touken Ranbu was okay, the action and pacing was pretty decent, and the characters were written to appeal to the audience instead of trying to stir up drama. It means the stakes and motivations are kind of weak.

The Danmachi spin off annoyed me because they literally answered nothing after the big climactic combat scene. And you didn't even get a vision of the killing blow. All this anticlimax after an excellent setup, the final boss was legit terrifying because it had toys the protagonists had access to.Player characters with monster mechanics are broken by design.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Altair. Like: gorgeous costume design, intrigue.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Davincie posted:

the made in the abyss soundtrack is the worst i've heard since sweetness and lightning and the quiz show girl was good

what the gently caress

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i like how delightfully dickensian made in abyss is. "your parents died toiling in the depths of this horrendously dangerous pit: you kids had better honor their names and work hard for us in the death pit as well."

other things i liked: the older boy who was in charge of the younger workers seems okay, more interested in being a liason with the adult taskmasters, instead of taking it out on his underlings. also, i like how reg's limbs constantly clanked whenever he moved around

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I watched Saiyuki Reload, it seems okay. The art and lore looks great, a mixture of western designs and technology alongside buddhist imagery. And the character writing was quite empathetic, the villagers actually made sense on some level instead of being meaningless civilians that deserve to be slaughtered for their moral transgressions or saved without agency.

Except... who the gently caress are the MCs fighting? The "demons" are clearly intelligent sapient beings that wear clothes and can be reasoned with, why the gently caress have they all transformed into brigands and are raiding every single village? And when the MCs fight, they loving merk them, and the camera revels in the blood spraying everywhere. What the hell is the nature of the conflict in the show, and why everyone is out to get them?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Watching princess principal makes me miss darker than black. Though it's not a bad show, the visuals looks great, and I like how it doesn't merely ape steampunk conventions, but actually hammers in the privation and destruction of the human spirit during the Victorian age. And I knew from the opening sequence that the magic rock that powers the magic steampunk tech had better be polluting as gently caress.

A fan of the main character lying constantly, not a fan of character designs going too cutesy.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
whaddup

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i dropped the lovely smartphone show when it turns out he became super strong and fast after reincarnating and he immediately uses it to Protect Women

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
anyway as a lovely isekai power fantasy the smartphone show isnt much of one, the magic robot show at least has a character with a will to power who wants to bend the world in his image, using all the tools bequeathed upon him by the author

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
havent watched ep 3, but why the gently caress are elves attacking everyone

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
so the good guys cold bloodedly murder a ton of people who've been driven insane. thats p messed up. i mean, i tried not to do that in the deus ex human revolution

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Having caught up with Knights and Magic, I've come to the conclusion that it isn't bad. I mean, it's pacing is off, but it does enough right that I can't fault it too badly.

Alot of isekai shows are basically masturbatory fantasies, but the show ends up giving alot of good scenes to side characters that it doesn't fall into that trap. Like the dude who panicked in an earlier episode, he gets lots of funny faces, and gets to redeem himself and some badass scenes of his own. And the bad guys even get to score a few wins, to present a credibly threat to the overpowered MC. And it's cool seeing other people exploit Elemental Armor against Mecha proper.

Contrast with Smartphone, which is worthless garbage throughout.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 2, 2017

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Knights and Magic is really good at giving the side characters ins anely badass scenes, most other el en shows would exclusively suck off the em cee

I mean, during the mock battle, the enemy team fought the overpowered MC team to a standstill using tactics and exploiting weaknesses even after having half the team ganked by surprise weapons. And the King even got to suplex someone.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

The Colonel posted:

you'd think, but apparently people got extremely upset over it

the drawing, or the drunktweet?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Keys slow you down, when you may need to scramble in response to a sortie or surprise attack. And if the enemy has gotten inside your tanks, they're already dead.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Inception was inspired by Paprika, but it has a completely different storyline and structure and metaphysics.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
if gundam wing can get a screaming fujoshi fandom then why not logh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Knights and Magic ended. It was more fun than I expected coming in. I enjoyed the nerding out about technology and its impact on society. Though it finds itself in a weird position where the stakes are so lightly regarded that I found myself rooting for the villains because they were more fun to watch.

Especially the enemy scientist, who is needed as a foil or the overpowered MC, and gets all the best scenes and hammy VA work.

• Locked thread