Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Welcome to the Ballroom
Centaur's Worries
Shoukoku no Altair
Fate/Apocrypha (everything Fate-related not done by Ufotable seems like a coin flip, but 50:50 odds are a drat sight better than a lot of other pitches)
Restaurant to Another World
New Game+ (wasn't expecting to like the first one but it won me over)
Kakegurui
Made in Abyss
Owarimonogatari 2nd Season
The Irresponsible Galaxy☆Tylor (don't have high hopes for this one tbh but I loved the original series so I feel obligated to at least check it out)

Decent slate of interesting-looking shows this season, though I guess it remains to be seen how many hold up (and how many are watchable without a subscription to yet another goddamn streaming service).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Radish posted:

This I have to know more about.
The politics of "Nazis existed, and were bad." Though who knows, maybe that counts as controversial these days. :v:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Of the three things you mentioned, I only recall the anti-racism laws.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Ah, XCOM 2
For real though, the premise that a world full of assorted monster people probably wouldn't end up with an identical set of laws and cultural norms is one of the reasons I liked the manga. As for what it says about the author's politics... Eh, I'm reminded of the people who said Attack on Titan shows the author's endorsement of fascism.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

horizon was gibberish. the premise fundamentally made no sense, and the conflict was the result of one guy being a dick for no reason, and then everyone else going along for no particular reason. it was a farce, not a tragedy.
"Let's make historical reenactment the basis of our civilization in order to rediscover the lost technology of a bygone era (the giant flying cities, sentient robots, extreme body modifications, and techno-magic deities who apparently bestow actual loving sorcery somehow don't count)" probably isn't the oddest premise for a show I've seen, but it has to be one of the most self-refuting. Though I think the most overtly political it got was the 'poor Japan, oh woe is us' undercurrent. (Which is not exactly uncommon in Japanese media, even if Horizon's setting made it especially bizarre in context.)

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The competitive tank battles in GuP weren't part of an elaborate, civilization wide plan to reinvent the blueprints for the Mk. III Ogre.

I think this bears emphasizing: Horizon's setting (as near as I can tell), is that the majority of humanity decided to back the business plan of the South Park Underpants Gnomes, except the first step is "a centuries-long historical reenactment" and the third step is "unspecificed but revolutionary technological breakthrough."

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 24, 2017

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

What I'm getting at is that Horizon turns me into that guy from Cromartie High who watched every episode and read all the supplemental materials of the comedy duo he hated, because he couldn't understand it, and not understanding it bugged the hell out of him.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Endorph posted:

hello all, goon reviews here with my review of ninja scroll. *scoffing vociferously* let's just get this one out of the way first, folks: the shogun of the dark was NOT a real historical figure. shameful that they'd try to pass it off like it was.
If the message you took away from my complaints is that I dislike Horizon because it's unrealistic I'm uh not really sure what else I can say in response

I mean poo poo, you don't need to take my word for it, the whole thing's available on CrunchyRoll. If nothing else it's a very colorful and frenetic show, and maybe you'll be the one who can finally explain the backstory in a satisfactory way. In the meantime I... guess I'll continue watching the bastion of hard-nosed realism that is Flip-Flappers?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

And I'm glad of it.

Please tell me what in the actual gently caress is going on

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Netflix ever mention when they're planning on releasing that?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Nice. I know what I'm going to be marathoning next weekend.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

darkgray posted:

There are three: Knight's & Magic is part of the isekai subcategory known as isekai tensei, where the protagonist dies in our world (usually by truck) and is reincarnated in a new (fantasy) world.
Are there any isekai tensei where the protagonist dies, and is recruited by a higher power to be the truck driver who determines which nebbish shut-in gets to be roadkill, and subsequently save an alternate reality? I feel like there's potential there.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The comfort of death will come,
for hikikkomori and fujoshi alike...
by the guidance of
the Great Aqua-sama

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

whos haoliners?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Not the most promising sign, then. Hopefully SoL will hold up better then an action-heavy series. They can just save their budget for the last episode when it inexplicably decides to switch to showing the civil war in the Congo, only between Centaurs and Lizardmen.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I'll probably watch it until I gradually lose interest, just like I did Valrave, Guilty Crown, and Kabaneri. It must be tricky adjusting a show to maintain interest for roughly the same number of episodes time after time. Though I watched all of Code:Geass so I guess there's at least a chance it'll stay entertaining?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

AnacondaHL posted:

So far there's nothing really special about Hina Logi, and nothing even special about the OP song, but the OP itself is a fun looking project
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5gFp2LeSng
I'm glad Satania decided to get out of the demon business and find her true calling as a magical girl.

I've got a soft spot for any opening/ending that goes the arts-n-crafts route like that, but the show itself is just kind of... there.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I can't wait to watch Kakegurui on purple VHS cassettes six months after it finishes airing.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Heard they're doing Utena too. Don't gently caress these up, guys.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Mentat Radnor posted:

They already have the whole series subbed, in 480p, for free on youtube with what seem to be pretty good subs. A BD release would be awesome too.
I mean, I have the whole series on DVD from like a decade back. I just want a better release.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I'm almost certain it's not.

E: apparently I was thinking of Real Bout High School.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 3, 2017

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Fangz posted:

I thought that FLCL 2 trailer looked kinda boring.
I don't think the first series would come off much better from a rapid-fire series of contextless 2-second clips. Part of what made the original work is the way it carried you along in its own rhythm. Hard to capture that in an ad. TBH I'm just glad they're still giving new animators a chance to completely cut loose.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Davincie posted:

isekai shokudou is pro modern slavery and thus i strongly suggest avoiding it if you as a person have any morals at all
that seems like a slightly overwrought description of waiting tables

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

A demon girl ends up working at a restaurant once a week waiting tables. Ten silver coins (apparently this is good money?) & three staff meals per 14 hour shift.

I dunno, I watched one episode. Maybe the subplot about hardcore bondage play shows up later.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

But the benefits package is great! You know how long you have to work at most restaurants to get an aegis of draconian protection?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I think it would be interesting to explore the difference that a modern, fully-equipped kitchen makes in an otherwise medieval setting. Isekai Shokudou is not that show, but it's got a bunch of footage featuring wizards enjoying the hell out of lovingly rendered food, which is more or less what I wanted out of it.

Homura and Sickle posted:

i really liked the first season, it was stylish as hell, but the story was a bit incoherent. looking forward to this season and hope they fixed that issue
I enjoyed the individual episodes of BBB more than the overall plot arc, but goddamn were those some good episodes. They put out another 10 of those and I'll call it a win.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Huh. Got a link to the patch? I don't mind the lack of voices so much, but the art just looks 'off' to me after getting used to the version used by the LP.

(I think the anime did right by the first two Umineko arcs, but it suffered as the story got increasingly hard to adapt. Disclaimer: my opinion may be influenced by watching it while stuffed full of painkillers after getting my wisdom teeth extracted. Still love the OP, tho'. )

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

tbf all quiz show centric anime pale in comparison to National Quiz

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I liked Aoyama the Clean Freak, abs and all. Hard to say whether it will hold up for 12 episodes, but it's off to a good start.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Is it more or less gay than Yuri on Ice?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Is it, though? I've got about the same number of shows I'm interested in as last season, but it looks like Crunchyroll hardly got any of them. Restaurant in Another World was decent but not amazing, Aoyama was more entertaining than expected, and I plan on watching Centaur's Worries but jeez they're looking at slim pickings if they didn't even get the next season of NG+

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Wrong kind of diving. Grand Blue does need an anime though.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Clarste posted:

I find it weird that no one mentioned that the setting of Made in Abyss is basically Etrian Odyssey.
I did! Roughly 1000 pages ago, when it was first announced so you'll have to take my word for it. :v:

Tsuruzure Children didn't impress, but comedy's a tricky business and it's easy to find yourself in a mood where it just doesn't click for you. It's short enough that I'll probably keep watching to see if it gels for me. Ballroom was fun though it's just going through the standard sports anime set-up right now. What can I say, I'm a sucker for 'competitive <blank>' anime, especially when it's something I don't usually see as a competition.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

A Centaur's Worries: The Horsemaid's Tail

OR

A Centaur's Worries (about the Stasi)

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

If you're curious about what little bits of backstory they dole out you could always just watch those episodes. Beyond that... It comes down to how many episodes of the show's style you can stomach. There isn't any greater moral purpose to what Hell Girl and her entourage does and this latest episode wasn't the first time that's been brought up. However considering we're on the 4th season now, you can guess how much difference previously raised moral qualms have made. Watch it until you get tired of it is my advice, it won't affect the current season much one way or another.

tl;dr Hell Girl is an allegory about capitalism

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Is the Yuasa directing Devilman Crybaby the same one who directed Ping Pong & the weird-even-by-adventure-time-standards episode of Adventure Time? Because I'll watch that guy do this thing p. much regardless of the content.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I assume it's the same amount of Shiki as before, just viewable on CR now thanks to their deal with Funimation.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

kater posted:

They are doing the beware corrections thing a bit too much in centaur. It's a funny joke but this last ep they didn't feel like jokes and I don't want whatever that's gonna turn into.
I've only read up to what the group translating it did, but absent the anime making up it's own ending you aren't going to see Hime and her classmates rounded up and shipped off to camps, if that's what concerns you. I mean, I agree it was an odd decision to on the author's part to set his cute monster girl slice of life comedy in a soft authoritarian state, but it's also what makes the show unique.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The appeal of Guru-Guru depends a lot on how enthusiastic you are about parodies of JRPG tropes. It turns out I am extremely enthusiastic about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

I like Beato and all of you are mean for neglecting her
she's the least capable character overall but i give her props for using her voice box to deflect jubei's hanzo steel (accidentally or otherwise)

• Locked thread