Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

RIP Lucy

Summers are always slow, but this season looks like it has a bunch of solid sleeper potentials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

So far there's nothing really special about Hina Logi, and nothing even special about the OP song, but the OP itself is a fun looking project
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5gFp2LeSng

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

The main guys is just really unnecessarily cruel to the girl, and the girl's isn't destructive enough to warrant it, or funny or creative enough to carry the show.

Maybe it's like Maidragon or Umaru where the first episode is kinda weak but once the characters are all introduced and can bounce off each other it gets good, but I don't think I'm gonna find out

It's not meant to be anything serious, it's an extension of the Manzai style comedy.

I thought it was kinda funny. There are some gifs from it I could make that would make it look really really bad out of context though lol

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

The setting in Koi to Uso is constructed poorly. They mention this new social norm of people getting match-made at 16, yet they don't establish a baseline of one example of how this is successful or how it works. Every introduced character just hates it out of the gate, with no dissent (or rather, no example of compliance). And the explanation is miserable: if the entire point was to get the birth rates stable, why not let people choose who they want if they choose before the deadline? And if the point was to selectively breed the population, why does every character openly dissent against it, and again no baseline is set? Shouldn't we be introduced to just how dystopian this world is?

Not to mention the false drama that's generated from a contradiction in the story's own rules: they point out the one girl who hasn't gotten her match despite being 16, then try to generate drama by having this dude receive his selection at exactly midnight of his birthday, like, uh which way is it supposed to be?

Anyways, the concept could have been interesting, but this was a pretty bad stumble out of the starting gate, I'm not convinced it will get any better.

I'll still give Konbini Kareshi a shot though, because it feels like one of those first episodes that tries to establish too many things than it can handle, but they were forced to do it. It also feels like a bunch of junior animators learning how to create running and soccer and swimming scenes, then they decided to put some relationships around it. It still has a shot at improving on both fronts, maybe!

However it also gets minus points for, when the two guys are busting each other's chops, not replying to
"You're at my house more than my dad is"
with
"...maybe... :thunk: I am your Da-"
followed by a punch to the arm, because I'm having trouble imagining any other reasonable resolution to that dialogue.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

darkgray posted:

This didn't seem to clash with logic. If person A's match B is younger, then person A can't receive a notification until person B turns 16, because it would spoil person B's partner ahead of time. In the case of our protagonists, not getting the notification at midnight would mean confirmation they both get different partners, who are yet to turn 16.

I considered this and also rejected it based on how shocked all the characters were at that situation. If this were the case then it would have been treated as the menial norm. Hence my claim of false drama.

edit: I can be more specific. During the exposition dialogue scene where the boys are talking about the Main Girl, if this were the case they would have been saying stuff like "I heard she hasn't gotten her notice yet" "So she's being paired with a younger guy?" "I still have a chance! Sucks for you!" but instead we get general drama about a ticking timebomb, like it's just going to happen whenever after turning 16, contradicting the end of the episode.

This is what I mean by "poorly constructed episode".

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 7, 2017

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

kater posted:

What am I supposed to be remembering about that. Seems like a good thing?

hey everyone a reminder that artists sometimes adapt and change, and sometimes they dont!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Hina Logi is surprisingly charming, if you're into that. The teachers are awesome and the post-credits sequence with them after each episode owns.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Now and Then, Here and There :smith:

This show has not aged well, as I discovered trying to watch that show recently. It's too 90s it hurts, and takes away from the emotional impact it tries to create.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

dogsicle posted:

I don't really know what's too 90's about it, having just watched it last year. It's not up to snuff of current anime bluray quality but the designs have aged fine outside of that.

Combine that with dated characterization and yea, it has aged poorly. The hypocritical pacifist warrior shounen character was explored and exhausted, and I could only roll my eyes at the actions most of the characters took, straightforward and reasonable 20 years ago, but feels really outdated today.

As a counter-example, we have Grave of the Fireflies which despite its dated look has aged well, with brilliant execution with nearly the same impact.

This isn't the first time I've gone back to series to see how it has aged, and imho Now and Then, Here and There falls under the rose-tinted glasses category.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

If Cleanliness Boy! Aoyama-kun is the feel-good comedy of the season, then Aho Girl is the feel-bad comedy of the season

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

If you're willing to watch the Gyaru show you're willing to watch almost anything.

fake edit clarification: what was actually produced as the Gyaru show, not the conceptual potential.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

The Colonel posted:

gyaruko is a better gyaru show than this season's

I looked this up expecting to see something from the mid-00s, but it aired last year?! I'm sensing red flags here...

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Ooh, I remember now. I chose the Art Club show instead that season.

Sounds like a good backlog rec for a rainy day, ty thread :thumbsup:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Trip Report: my wife and I usually don't watch the same anime comedies as our tastes in humor are polar opposites, but after watching a few episodes of Galko-chan together it was she who pushed to watch more and finish the series in one night. I got some good chuckles out of the show as well.

10/10, thanks for the date night goons :thumbsup:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

I finally sat and watched Isekai Shokudou and it's the cutest thing airing this season. :kimchi: So heart warming! So gentle! Just a show about a good cafe. Gonna watch the second ep now because gosh, I needed something this heartwarming.

I highly, highly recommend against watching this show... late at night. The stomach pangs are real.

It is a perfect dinnertime show though.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Dangerous question of the day: why are the series' merfolk designed as fish from the knees down, opposed to the traditional waist down? Everything about this seems like a miserable existence for them :(

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

The Han Shot First of Anime

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Early season 3+episode roundup of shows without threads:

Action Heroine Cheer Fruits - Very narrow show, but definitely cute fun and enjoyable for those that want it. I just don't think I'm in that zone. Probably drop.

Aho Girl - Traversing the comedy tightrope walk for now, but boy one wrong misstep and the entire show could derail. Continuing hesitantly.

Centaur's Worries - It's all about those random one-line quips about short selling stocks or government regulations, etc. Keep.

Cleanliness Boy Aoyama-kun - Good schtick, funny stuff. Keep.

Dive!! - I really want to watch this show. It's almost really good. And watching the poor girl slowly realize her boyfriend is as straight as a rainbow is schadenfreude at its best. But 1) it feels too much like a cringe commercial, no, a plea for the Japan 2020 Olympics and 2) the pacing and overall structure is a bit too far off. Dropped.

Gamers! - ...is actually a decent fun romcom. Needs spectacular editing and timing though, and is only barely making it. Keep. (fake edit: ...is this the Big Bang Theory of anime, but without popularity)

Hina Logi - Something just feels off about this show. It's not hooking me. I'm going to miss the ending segments with the teachers though. Dropped.

Konbini Kareshi - It's amazing how low the budget is for this show. I feel bad for them. Dropped.

Love and Lies - I powered through 3 episodes with high hopes, but the interesting concept is not executed anywhere near par. There doesn't seem to be an overall vision for the show, and they can't decide what they want to be, dropping the ball everywhere instead. Dropped.

Restaurant to Another World - Again, only watch this show with or directly after a nice meal. Do not watch late at night or without sustenance. Keep.

Tsurezure Children - Also a romcom but I argue it's in a different space as Gamers! and both can be enjoyed in parallel. Keep.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Kytrarewn posted:

Somehow I would have expected you to be among the people watching Youkai Apartment

Of the shows you listed, I'm closest to dropping Centaur, if anyone cares.

I knew this season would feature lots of sampling, and I had to make some early cuts! However, it sounds like that show is occupying the same space as some other comedies this season, but with less good execution.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Does Japanese have the same "sleeping together" colloquialism that English does? I'm wondering how much of that conversation was changed to make sense in English.

From what I remember watching the episode last night, yes its the same.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Huh. That's a lot of second seasons of shows I tried and dropped.

Def watching 3-gatsu S2 and Shokugeki no Soma S3 though. I recall Osomatsu being good, but unsure if I wanted more. Drunk Wife seems to be the dark-horse comedy front-runner of the season. I know nothing about Kino no Tabi but it seems good and acclaimed. I will also end up watching some J.C. Staff garbage or something similar.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Endorph posted:

uh, did you walk out of the theater before the last thirty secnds

how could anyone forget https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0uGB5C56Uk

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

If anyone needed a 16 minute video explaining why Gamers and Tsurezure Children are the 1-2-knockout romcom punches of the season, well, here it is

https://youtu.be/NNS9UcKMa5U

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

an actual dog posted:

Why would you watch a half hour video about anime when you could just watch anime instead.

Because modern anime is a multi-media experience. It's fun to hear what others have to say. It's fun to watch fan-made music videos, or see the neat artwork, or laugh at the video memes.

And we all get to choose to enjoy the extra content or not.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

inb4 a Surströmming defender shows up

There's an interesting metaphor between consuming bad but palatable foods and bad anime. Something something you develop a taste for it something.

In conclusion, :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

how many of you actually clicked this and watched this?

"yo we gotta teach these old money fuccbois a lesson, you can't give archangel the satisfaction B"

this was an actual line of dialogue spoken about halfway through the video. I feel like someone should have pointed this out, so now I have pointed it out. Thanks for reading.

• Locked thread